Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Administrative Folks - What do YOU think about "Cold Call" letters from potentials?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrative Folks - What do YOU think about "Cold Call" letters from potentials?

My degree program has been over for a while, and it's bothering to my career advisor that I've yet to find a paid position in the public safety sector. I've tried explaining that budgets are tight all over the place and there aren't jobs popping up all over the place - here locally, they're cutting expenditures by leaving spots vacated by retirees empty.

My advisor has suggested sending my resume with a letter of reference to any public safety organization I'd like to contact. My advisor even went so far as to draft a reference letter himself (gee, what a nice guy!)

My question is really for the administrative folks on the forum - Is this a worthwhile use of my time? I'd like to think I'm hiring material, with degrees in IT and public safety, ~10 years of public safety experience (Fire & EMS, EMA/FEMA) with 3 years with the local Sheriff's Department as a reserve deputy. I would be open to just about anything in the field of public safety. My short list has county and city/town law enforcement (from 130 sworn to 2 sworn), the few paid fire departments in my area, and EMA offices in each ajoining county. I'm interested in thoughts/suggestions/advice from anybody who's willing to offer!

What planet does your career advisor live on? OK, here's what I mean. In responding to a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, I don't feel as if I'm addressing a rookie. If you enter a Civil Process, a letter of reference, or for that matter, a resume is going to be of little or no value. Your first hurdle is the written exam, and if you're successful, as in scoring highly, you'll advance in a highly structured, very impersonal, often frustrating hiring process. It's possible, that in the backgroun phase of your process the letter and resume would be of some value. You've already quite accurately covered the budget aspects of getting hired. Unfortunately, that situation is not likely to change anytime soon. The current economic scenario is what lead to me to ask what planet your career advisor is living on. OK, my thought for you is to keep putting the applications out there. If at all possible, don't limit yourself to to your immediate area. Consider the possibility of relocating if that's doable. You sound like a pretty solid candidate, and based on what you've posted, my sense is that you'll be a fit somewhere. Good luck.

Comment

I can't speak for your state, but in California it would be pretty meaningless.

Out here when we have a vacancy we only hire via civil service testing. The position must be advertised. applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are tested and those with the highest combined test scores get hired.

Resumes mean nothing and get tossed out here because they are an advertisement rather than an objective measurement of one's ability to perform the actual duties of the job.

The only exception to this are "at will" or political appointments where you serve solely at the pleasure of the appointing authority. These positions are very rare and are usually reserved for people who serve on the administrative of protective staff of elected officials. Their jobs last for as long as the elected official remains in office, or for as long as you remain in good standing with the elected official. You need a lot of experience and/or connections to get a job like that in California.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Any non solicited resumes are filed in the circular file if we are not hiring at the time.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

ACMarina,
          Just wanting to get more info from you. Are you a veteran? If you are a veteran what is your disability rating? Where have you looked for job postings? There are Federal safety and LEO Agencies that do not require testing before application, but it depends on where you look. The federal job clearing house is usajobs, all federal agencies are mandated to post job listings on that site. Be willing to move for a job, not all jobs will be in your area, and waiting for one in your area can lead to missing an opportunity in another area.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I agree with what's been posted here. The bottom line is that unsolicited resumes (no matter how qualifed you are) will be tossed. I wouldn't recommend blitzing the market with your resumes, it will frustrate you in the long run and the cost of mailing will get expensive. Bookmark the agencies you are interested in and check those daily or every couple of days for openings.

If there are federal jobs in your area the check www.usajobs.gov. That site is updated every Monday morning. You can also set up a search engine on usajobs to look for the types of postings you are interested in. You will receive one email on Wednesday.

It's nice that your advisor has your best interests at heart but he really doesn't get what is happening in the industry you are intersted in.

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
              ACMarina,
              Just wanting to get more info from you. Are you a veteran? If you are a veteran what is your disability rating? Where have you looked for job postings? There are Federal safety and LEO Agencies that do not require testing before application, but it depends on where you look. The federal job clearing house is usajobs, all federal agencies are mandated to post job listings on that site. Be willing to move for a job, not all jobs will be in your area, and waiting for one in your area can lead to missing an opportunity in another area.
              Not every Veteran has a disability rating. I don't see why you have to announce this is every post?
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                Not every Veteran has a disability rating. I don't see why you have to announce this is every post?
                Most veterans don't apply for their disability and miss out. Any injury while on active service is potential disability rating. Some states give benefits just for having the disability rating letter. California gives the children of a veteran with even 0% compensated rating the opportunity to attend California state College or University tuition free. It's something a veteran earned while in service and they should get their medical record evaluated for disability immediately upon discharge. Even 10% compensation gives a veteran 10 point preference points in hiring for federal employment. You earned it, it's not welfare and it's not a handout, get the rating and use it.
                GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4399 users online. 277 members and 4122 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X