300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board Meat Grinder

Well, I sit here today having heard the words "Not selected, suitable for future employment". I screwed up the interview, I didn't sell myself well. I will take that experience, and build upon it and reapply in 6 months, because that is what I want to do.

The only problem I had with the process, the officers conducting the interview don't know squat about my file. The didn't see the opinions of the background investigator, or my many references, including great recommendations from officers currently serving or have served. I screwed up the interview and my fate rested in those opinions of the officers sitting at the table. I was told by the selection officer that I hit home runs on a couple of questions like defining community policing, yet they felt I didn't fully know what I was getting into.

So my question... Do you think the interviewers in the oral board should have prior knowledge of the applicant's file before the interview? I can see both sides to this, but I am interested in opinions from you.

now, I'll keep working to build a stronger case for next time.

No.

They are grading your responses and thought process, not your past.

Different parts of the process have different aims. They are rarely tailored to the individual, and frankly, would be unfair if they were.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

It's because you're a Skins fan....

Comment

LOL, most of us here are.... I don't think that factored in.

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
          No.

They are grading your responses and thought process, not your past.

Different parts of the process have different aims. They are rarely tailored to the individual, and frankly, would be unfair if they were.

M-11
          I agree.... why does it matter if you have a good reference or a decent background? Bringing all that information into the oral defeats the purpose.

Besides, everyone applying has cop buddies and good references and if you passed the background, they are probably assuming you had no problems.

Try again, it took most people here a few shots (sometimes more) to get onto a PD.

Comment

Originally posted by John0397 View Post
            LOL, most of us here are.... I don't think that factored in.

Couldn't help myself. Chin up man. Use it as a learning opportunity for your next oral board. It'll work out.

Comment

I hate to say it but you could be the poster boy for people fail orals.

Too many applicants think orals are nothing but a meet and greet session where they can drop in, toss a creatively written resume on the table and BS their way to the top with the gift of gab, a great smile, a nice suit and a $100 haircut. It doesn't work that way.

The purpose of the oral is to identify the most qualified applicants for law enforcement duties. To this end, you will be asked questions that measure your ability to actually perform police work. You will be scored on the number of correct answers you give to those questions. The fact that you have great recommendations, references and a clean background is meaningless. If you don't get enough correct answers to pass the exam, you're out. Even then, you need to score high enough on the written and oral to be reachable (highest combined score usually gets hired first, next highest score gets hired second, etc.)

Look at the exam announcement for the position you are seeking. It should state what areas the test will cover. Study those areas. In addition, take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...guide_0809.pdf It will give you an idea of what an oral board looks at and how they will score you. While this is the California standard, the concepts are fairly universal.

Every applicant is evaluated on their ability to perform the duties of the job as determined by the same, standardized written and oral exam. You wanted to be evaluated on a different standard. I agree with the oral panel. You do not understand the organizational and operational culture you are trying to become a part of.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

No. All of that fluff may factor in after you do well in the oral interview, but not before. Where I work at, those of us who do the hiring interviews have already read your attachments, however they have nothing to do with how you answer the questions, hence, they have nothing to do with how you are rated.

Comment

L-1, I appreciate your point, I acknowledge that I messed up the interview. It won't happen next time. I didn't give a lot of details in some questions that left doubt in the minds of the interviewers. My answers were too brief. There is no study guide for the oral board. It's the last step before a psych test and medical evaluation. They were asking questions from a locked in script. Eleven questions, about me, my thoughts about police work etc., zero scenario questions. I didn't sell my answers. I messed that up. I understand they have to form opinions about how I respond to questions... but that's a brief snapshot and doesn't give them the full picture based up the rest of the story of that file sitting in the filing cabinet. They don't know my test scores, my physical abilites, just what I gave them today, which was not my best. I was just guessing that other boards, if given a little background and leeway to shape questions a little more with that little extra knowledge of the applicant could generate an easier and clearer opinion of that applicant. Not everybody interviews well. Today, I did not.

I am dissapointed a little, but I will reapply and be at my best next time. I am humbled by the experience, but a poster child for failure I am not.

Thanks and be safe.

edit: I just want to make it clear, I am not looking for a change in the procedure I went through, just opinions on the standardized process. I fully understand why it is the way it is and expect to do better next time. As I stated - I failed myself today.
                  Last edited by John0397; 05-20-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    No. All of that fluff may factor in after you do well in the oral interview, but not before. Where I work at, those of us who do the hiring interviews have already read your attachments, however they have nothing to do with how you answer the questions, hence, they have nothing to do with how you are rated.
                    I have a question to add:

Do the panelists see the DD Form 214, Resumes, military certifications/classes, college diplomas/transcripts, or the actual application at all?

I'm just wondering if the panelists look at applicants blindly and "what they see/hear is what they get," or if they are fully prepared and briefed for each [oral board] candidate. I do understand you have to "sell" yourself to the board, and have to do it quite effectively considering there are likely hundreds of candidates per opening, but I'm wondering to what degree the panelists are briefed and know about the candidates.

I have [is a weakness I am working on] of not necessarily selling every experience, military and civilian training opportunity, or awards I've received, but I don't want to come across as a braggart or cocky, since that's not who I am at all.

Comment

Originally posted by John0397 View Post
                      L-1, I appreciate your point, I acknowledge that I messed up the interview. It won't happen next time. I didn't give a lot of details in some questions that left doubt in the minds of the interviewers. My answers were too brief. There is no study guide for the oral board.
                      There is a reason there are no study guides for the oral board. No two boards are alike. One department might ask one set of questions while another department uses a different tactic.
                      Also, don’t be so sure that you won’t mess up the interview again. Even if you go for the same department-------they might change what they ask and send you for a loop.

You also realize that you could “Ace” the interview---------------and someone else just did better, or had a better combined score, or knows somebody……………………..
                      Originally posted by Ryandus View Post
                      I have a question to add:
                      Do the panelists see the DD Form 214, Resumes, military certifications/classes, college diplomas/transcripts, or the actual application at all?
                      I'm just wondering if the panelists look at applicants blindly and "what they see/hear is what they get," or if they are fully prepared and briefed for each [oral board] candidate. I do understand you have to "sell" yourself to the board, and have to do it quite effectively considering there are likely hundreds of candidates per opening, but I'm wondering to what degree the panelists are briefed and know about the candidates.
                      In some processes, the interview panel knows everything. …….in others they view the interview as a complete separate process in its own right and don’t care about all the stuff that has been handled by other processes.
                      I have been involved in interviews where I had their entire file in front of me-------and others where I knew only their name.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It is dept. specific. The answer for my dept is yes. I have seen your resume, 214, diplomas and certs, etc. before you are scheduled for an interview. That said, like I stated above, unless you do well in your interview, that stuff doesn't matter. You need to look at that stuff as a tie breaker instead of as bonus points that will make an interview go from mediocre to great.

Comment

No; Build on your experiences with this board. Re-read L-1's reply. You won't receive better answers. Good luck in your future boards.

Comment

Iowa #1603, just joe, and PhilipCal- thank you for responding to my questions. I will learn how to sell myself better, it's always a learning process.

I can't wait for the day I can post I've been hired. Until that day, I'll continue to ask for advice and learn from each and every one of you.

Thanks again for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Ryandus View Post
                              Iowa #1603, just joe, and PhilipCal- thank you for responding to my questions. I will learn how to sell myself better, it's always a learning process.

I can't wait for the day I can post I've been hired. Until that day, I'll continue to ask for advice and learn from each and every one of you.

Thanks again for your time
                              Happy to help. Continued good luck. You have a wining attitude. It will take you far.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3448 users online. 175 members and 3273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X