Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agency Questions

Good Morning,

My question to the experienced background investigators and seasoned officers is this. 1) Is it true that an applicant fresh out of the academy is more desirable then an officer who has 5-10 years on at another agency? 2) Is the advice "Work at the first place who offers employment." good information?

I am from south FL and I have a top 5 list of departments that I would love to work for, but I am being offered by a few places down here that would give me experience, but I don`t want to risk anything bad happening so it prevents me from working in the departments of my choice down the road.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by LeoRespect View Post

Good Morning,

My question to the experienced background investigators and seasoned officers is this.

1) Is it true that an applicant fresh out of the academy is more desirable then an officer who has 5-10 years on at another agency? .
    That's really going to depend on the agencies needs. If they need "untainted" rookies who are young, dumb and full of ....., then they'll be looking for the younger folk, if they need experience and don't want to invest a bunch of time and money into someone who has yet proven themselves....

2) Is the advice "Work at the first place who offers employment." good information?
    This answer will be different for each person. It depends on your current circumstances, your short term and long term goals, etc, etc.

I am from south FL and I have a top 5 list of departments that I would love to work for, but I am being offered by a few places down here that would give me experience, but I don`t want to risk anything bad happening so it prevents me from working in the departments of my choice down the road.

Welcome to the game known as life. Only you can figure what's best for you and your future.

-Good Luck

Comment

1) Depends on what they are looking for. There is also a difference between good experience and experience combined with a lot of bad habits.

2) What "bad" things are going to happen? Unless the cities that are offering you jobs are also talking about layoffs in the same breath, or the dept has a reputation for systemic and institutionalized corruption, to me, that's a no brainer.

3) Your top five list can change over time. After a few years, you may decide you like it just fine where you are at. You may also take that experience and lateral to another agency if your plans haven't changed.

Comment

Thank you for the advice Michigan.
        Just Joe, the "bad" thing I speak of are what you have already stated. South Florida is filled with tiny departments that are notorious for being corrupt and filled with nepotism. I don't want to be screwed over at the beginning of a lifelong career from a supervisor who has something against me or isn't fond of the fact I am proactive.

Comment

but I don`t want to risk anything bad happening so it prevents me from working in the departments of my choice down the road.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this?

Anyway, the short answer in my opinion is that any patrol experience and training is usually good for honing your skills and looks good on a resume. Usually department's are thrilled to get someone with some experience. When going to a new agency, you're always going to have to learn "their way" of doing things. It's not so much having bad habits that need to be broken. Good luck with your decision and career in LE.
          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
          John Adams

Comment

Good Morning,

My question to the experienced background investigators and seasoned officers is this.

1) Is it true that an applicant fresh out of the academy is more desirable then an officer who has 5-10 years on at another agency? Not necessarily . Many departments prefer to hire experienced officers if they are available and meet the other requirements the department is looking for.

While the new officer will bring some experience to the table he/she might also bring some new ideas and some old bad habits they picked up at the other agency--------------you get some good and some bad.

A brand new officer can be molded into what the department supervisory staff want them to become a lot easier than someone who has experience.yty

2) Is the advice "Work at the first place who offers employment." good information?
            In today's job market -----the person who passes up a job in law enforcement is a fool unless they are independently wealthy, have a good job that will keep them in money for several years, or wants to be on unemployment for a long time

You never know what is going to happen down the line. That "dream department" may turn out to be the worst job you have ever held--------and no matter how much research you do from the outside----you never will know the bowels of the department until you are a member.

I know of many people who left an agency for another "dream" agency and returned to their origins. I also know of many who took the first job they were offered and loved it., never to look back.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Most agencies will prefer the experienced Officer. As a rule, there is no need to send this man/woman to the Academy, with the possible exception of an abbreviated refresher course. O T H, some agencies might prefer the applicant who is not experienced, this on the theory that he/she is more easily molded into the Department's way of doing things. My sense is that you should not hold out waiting for your dream agency to call. I would accept any valid offer of employment, with the possible long range goal of lateraling to my "dream agency". I'm also 100% on board with my colleague's advice concerning dream agencies. Read it again. It makes very good sense.Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Don't hold out until you get, if you get, a call from your top 5. Trust us all on this. In a few years, like mentioned earlier, your top 5 may change drastically. When I started out I had a dream agency that I was going to go with come hell or high water. A few years later after i got some experience and some quality face time with officers working at that department I realized that it was a blessing that I never wound up there. Sometimes the perfect agency has yet to be discovered until years later.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6165 users online. 345 members and 5820 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X