300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desirable Applicant?

I'm about to start the hiring process with a SoCal dept and just wondering how I'll fair in the selection process,

I'm 20 y/o, on my last year of active duty in the Coast Guard(honorable discharge, No NJP or any disciplinary actions), law enforcement experience in the Cg, former sheriff's department explorer, full work history since age 14 , graduated high school a year early. No traffic violations/accidents or criminal history, good credit, tried marijuana twice when 14 and no drug usage of any kind at all since then.

Just wondering how ill fair in today's competitive environment.

Are you seriously wondering, or are you looking for compliments on how "outstanding" you are?
    Your BI should be fine. There are oral boards, poly, psych to pass as well.

Comment

Ohio5-0,

No I was seriously wondering, mainly because of my young age, I know that so many highly qualified applicants are trying to get into LE. Thanks for the response.

Comment

You'll probably get through the door into the process, thats about as much as one can assume

The rest depends on entirely too many factors for your chances to be judged with any accuracy
        Originally posted by Rudy8116
        The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
        OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

I was asking because usually people want to know if they have a chance when they have done a LOT of drugs, robbed someone, or have been cited last week for a traffic offense. I wasn't trying to be mean.

Comment

Sign up for college and start working towards an Associates or Bachelors degree to pump up that resume.
            The only concern I see is that your somewhat young.

Comment

Most agencies won't admit you to the process until you're 21. Certainly there are exceptions. The information in your post suggests that you could enter a process. How well you do will depend on many factors, including the process itself.

Comment

Your background only seems to lack age and education.

As stated by my colleagues above, the process is very competitive and any plus's you can have in your favor helps. Honorable military service, Explorer experience, the LE experience in the CG, etc is good. However most departments nowadays seem to prefer a minimum of an Associate Degree and a few years older than you are.

Some departments REQUIRE some college, some don't----- Some have informal-non written policies of hiring older candidates, some don't.

You have a good start and should be able to get into the testing process...............
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You're looking good. As stated, college is what you should focus on adding to your resume (even if you do it while going through the process).

The only downside for you is that the economy is crap and has made an already competitive profession ten-times so.

I would recommend applying to every Agency you qualify for, and if you do get an offer do NOT turn it down (don't care if it's podunk PD where you really don't want to work) unless you have a solid offer for an Agency you like better. Foot in the door first, then figure out where you want to go with your career down-the-line.

-V

Comment

All,

Thanks for all the advice. I have some college work completed (9QTR units) plus tons of Military Schools which account for about 40-50 sem. units. As far as my age goes, I'm 20 now and the department I'm testing for says thats is the minimum to apply/test as long as I am 21 by the time I complete the Academy (which I will b/c i still have 11 months on my enlistment).

Vincelli- Thanks for the advice about applying to all the departments I can, I had been wondering if that was a negative thing to do but I'll keep a good look out for recruiting departments.

Comment

Just curious

I am considering a career with L.E. However soem things I am not too sure about. 1 is I have several traffic ticks that I know need to come off, 2 I had a BK and divorce about 3yrs ago, some bad credit after BK, but cleaned up all my credit within the last 2yrs. I have had stable employment throughout the last 10yrs(2.5 at a new job) smkoed pot when I was younger less than the 20 times lifetime, had a car prowl incendent when I was 18( no longer involved with that person anymore). I live my life in sales and with my kids so i do not have much free time to jack around. Would I have a chance to become LE? Ive been really thinking about it over the last 2 yrs, and have tested with 2 agencys already but both went nowhere due to economy. Advice would be great.... Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by briehl12 View Post
                        I am considering a career with L.E. However SOME things I am not too sure about. 1 is I have several traffic TICKETS that I know need to come off, 2 I had a BK ( I assume that means BANKRUPTCY) and divorce about 3yrs ago, some bad credit after BK, but cleaned up all my credit within the last 2yrs. I have had stable employment throughout the last 10yrs(2.5 at a new job)
                        As long as your traffic history isn’t too bad (showing a disregard for the rules) and too recent. (most departments would like to see 5 -7 yrs citation free)

The bankruptcy and the credit problems can be explained…………as long as you CURRENTLY are up to date on your bills and have a recent history of good credit………….

smkoed pot when I was younger less than the 20 times lifetime,
                        Depending how many total lifetime uses………….20 is way over most departments “experimentation” levels…………way over. You are pushing the limits.
                        had a car prowl incendent when I was 18( no longer involved with that person anymore).
                        A felony In most jurisdictions……………..auto DQ if it was a felony……………or if say you moved to my state where it IS a felony…..your ADULT indiscretion would count as a felony(if asked if you had ever committed a felony as opposed to CONVICTION of a felony)

I live my life in sales and with my kids so i do not have much free time to jack around. Would I have a chance to become LE? Ive been really thinking about it over the last 2 yrs, and have tested with 2 agencys already but both went nowhere due to economy. Advice would be great.... Thanks!!!
                        Your marketability would be questionable--------------depends on the number of marijuana uses & the car “prowl” which could easily be called Burglary……which could be a felony.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

In Wa car prowl is a misdemeanor. More guilt by association. The maijuana issue I was quoting in some of the standards I see for deps. here and do realize it is pushing the limits. My tickets will fall off next year,(speeding) and I have noticed some depts here in Wa are no more than 3 within 2-5yr period.

Comment

In Wa car prowl is a misdemeanor. More guilt by association. The maijuana issue I was quoting in some of the standards I see for deps. here and do realize it is pushing the limits. My tickets will fall off next year,(speeding) and I have noticed some depts here in Wa are no more than 3 within 2-5yr period.
                            Then you had better stay in Washington if you want a job.

A car prowl in Washington might be a misdemeanor................come to Iowa and it would be a felony. Iowa state law states that if you have been convicted of WHAT WOULD BE A FELONY IN IOWA, you can't be a cop in Iowa.
                            It also doesn't matter if it was guilt by association...............being an accessory is the same.

No you were not quoting standards you see................you just said it was less than 20 times....you never said how many times you toked. "less than 20 times" doesn't cut it...........a number is needed to evaluate your chances

Also around here its 5-7 yrs ticket free.

You are still pushing the envelope for getting hired.

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. Anyone in Wa have any light to shed upon my quest?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4204 users online. 225 members and 3979 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X