300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the phone Oral Interview?

Hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me out in a dilemma I'm in. I passed my PAT for a local police department yesterday and was issued an Oral date interview for next Tuesday.

The problem is I fly out next Monday night to New York for a cousin's wedding and asked if i could come in Monday for the interview. They told me there were no open slots available that day but offered me an Over the Phone Oral interview.

My Question is, how greatly does this negatively affect my chances of getting hired?? I know i won't have the opportunity to impress them in person by either eye contact, firm handshake, not getting nervous etc..

Out of the 11 positions and departments i have applied for i REALLY want this the most. It's a little last minute to call up my airline and see if there is anything available the following day if the dept is going to grade my differently because the interview is over the phone.

whats more important to you?
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I've never done over the phone oral interviews, so I don't know how the department would rate them. What your question boils down to is really this. How badly do you want this job? It's entirely possible, that in order to get the job, you fore go your cousin's wedding. It's entirely possible too, that you could skip the wedding and blow the interview. I certainly don't wish that on you, but it happens. As far as the interview is concerned, I agree with you, that being there in person, looking the interviewer in the eye, answering questions, etc is the best way to go. It's decision time. Best of luck. Sincerely.

Comment

Unless it is common practice for the agency to do phone interviews, I imagine any tie would probably go to the person that they actually saw.

Comment

I, as an interviewer, wouldn't be happy making a hiring decision based on an Phone Interview.

I want to have the applicant in front of me so I can watch their body language, see the reaction of their face/eyes when asked a "hot " question., and observe their general demeanor from the moment they enter the building to their movements when they walk back to the parking lot. (Yep-----been known to watch outside prior to/after the interview).

If you want to get into law enforcement-------your cousin's wedding isn't the only family celebration you are going to miss during the next 30 yrs.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by GTV10 View Post
            Hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me out in a dilemma I'm in. I passed my PAT for a local police department yesterday and was issued an Oral date interview for next Tuesday.

The problem is I fly out next Monday night to New York for a cousin's wedding and asked if i could come in Monday for the interview. They told me there were no open slots available that day but offered me an Over the Phone Oral interview.

My Question is, how greatly does this negatively affect my chances of getting hired?? I know i won't have the opportunity to impress them in person by either eye contact, firm handshake, not getting nervous etc..

Out of the 11 positions and departments i have applied for i REALLY want this the most. It's a little last minute to call up my airline and see if there is anything available the following day if the dept is going to grade my differently because the interview is over the phone.
            I got my job from a phone interview. While interviewing in person is best, over the phone can still get you a job. Just talk the way you would in a face to face interview. Be confident with your answers, don't bad talk any prior employment, and give it your best.
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

@ Giostormusnret, thanks for your feedback, it was very insightful.

@ Buffaloboy, and PhilipCal, Please don't give me the "Well what's more important to you speech" it insults my intelligence. I would skip the wedding for this interview, but it's kind of hard to do when your a groomsmen and your part of the wedding. I don't want to ruin my cousin's wedding that she has been dreaming about for 30 years just for a "chance" to improve my score in the selection process.
              I feel really bad i'm leaving but i have no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by GTV10 View Post

@ Buffaloboy, and PhilipCal, Please don't give me the "Well what's more important to you speech" it insults my intelligence..
                Why did that "insult your intelligence". 4 out of the 5 who responded to your question gave you the same advice.

You were given advice from some experienced people who have been involved in many hiring processes.

Bottom line is, it's your decision. You are the one that will live with the consequences not us.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  It's decision time. Best of luck. Sincerely.

Thought you must have missed this part of his post...
                  It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Ok everybody take a chill pill.
                    While there are those of you who say phone interviews don't work, I would beg to differ. I was hired on a phone interview due to being on the pacific coast and the job on the east coast. it worked out for me cause I was able to answer their questions as they wanted. I'm not saying all phone interviews work for law enforcement jobs, but there is the chance that it will.
                    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                      Ok everybody take a chill pill.
                      While there are those of you who say phone interviews don't work, I would beg to differ. I was hired on a phone interview due to being on the pacific coast and the job on the east coast. it worked out for me cause I was able to answer their questions as they wanted. I'm not saying all phone interviews work for law enforcement jobs, but there is the chance that it will.
                      Somewhat agree

Actually it worked out for you because the DEPARTMENT chose to use a phone interview format.

Most departments still want the face to face time since an interview is really not all just getting answers to the questions (much as I related above). The boss's still like to see your face and get to know you, which is impossible on the phone.

Shortly before I retired we interviewed a CO from Alaska who wanted to come back to the lower 48. He took vacation time and drove to Iowa to interview, even though we are not hiring right then-----just to have the interview done. His name went to the top of the list after the interview.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6240 users online. 350 members and 5890 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X