X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiamiCanes
    replied
    Good luck....
    Last edited by MiamiCanes; 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BHammond1
    replied
    Thank you very much for the information. I actually moved to Louisville, Kentucky, about a year ago for a job, so I'll be pursuing the degree at the University of Louisville. I've done some research on KY Probation & Parole and they seem to be sworn positions that carry firearms with some LE training. I'm definitely more interested in the LE side of the job, as I'd rather not deal with offenders day in, day out with no protection or power to hold them accountable for their actions.

At the same time, I don't want to sound too gung-ho. I know that I won't be a cop and I don't expect to be. However, I think P&P could be an opportunity to get my feet wet as I am interested in a LE position further down the road, but I don't want to be a beat cop at the moment (nothing wrong with it, just not sure if that's what I want to do right now).

Leave a comment:

• NY5080
    replied
    In New York, parole is run at the State level and probation is run by the various counties. Everyone else has pretty much summed up the work, but I will also put in that you should do your homework on what department(s) you may want to work for. Since probation/parole is a mix of law enforcement/social work (and believe me, it can be tough to balance both roles), some departments lean more toward one model than the other. Since my time in as an officer, I've seen the pendulum swing in both directions-- depending on society's views at that given time. Unfortunately, given the economy, there is a push to put more people on probation who in the past would have gone straight to prison-- all over the cost of having to house them-- not on their potential to do well in the community......

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    Where I'm at, Parole supervision is at the State level and Probation is left for the counties. I've been a Parole Officer for about 3 years now and in Texas, we can carry firearms while on duty if you choose to do so (I do). We do not have powers of arrest and seizure. We can conduct searches of sex offenders since they have search conditions built into their parole conditions. It's a good job but the micro-managing is insane and paperwork/computer work takes up the majority of our time. You will start off working a "regular caseload" of parolees but you can move up to specialized caseloads like MI/MR, electronic monitoring/gps monitoring, sex offenders etc.
    I'm in the GPS Monitoring/Electronic Monitoring unit so we conduct office visits, unscheduled home visits, field visits to places of employment and exchange info with local LE agencies and treatment providers to make sure these guys are on the straight and narrow. The job is a nice mix of LE and Social Work. As POSr said, the job can be dangerous because you're dealing with people who have a history of violence as well as lack of respect for any type of authority. You will go into the hoods and ghettos at various times of the day and night (we go alone) so arming yourself would be a good idea. We are overworked and underpaid so don't expect to get rich or earn a decent wage unless you move up to the Federal level. I looked up some info from the American Probation and Parole Association about Missouri P&P. Good luck with whatever career path you choose and fee free to PM me if you have any questions.

"Within the Executive Branch of state government, the Missouri Department of Corrections, Board of Probation and Parole provides adult felony probation, most serious (Class A) misdemeanant probation, and parole supervision.
    Adult probation and parole officers have the option to carry or not to carry a firearm. They are not classified as peace officers, but do have the power to arrest probationers and parolees. Missouri’s firearm policy was implemented around November 1997.

They receive firearm education and training from the Department of Corrections Training Academy. Both officers who carry and those who do not may take the training. They must proficiently complete the training prior to being allowed to carry a firearm. Officers receive continuing education and training and must re-qualify annually. They do not undergo psychological testing prior to being allowed to carry a firearm.

As of January 2006 officers may still carry 38/357 revolvers as previously required, however they may also choose to purchase Glock models 27,23 or 22 automatics (all 40 S/W caliber) for both on and off duty use after completing transitional training. Glocks may be purchased at a reduced rate through contract with police supplier until June of 2006 at which time officers must purchases their own without departmental assistance."

Leave a comment:

• POSr
    replied
    In my state Probation and Parole is called a twin tier system, which both are treated the same. So in my position, I am a Probation and Parole Officer. Probation is strictly supervision and the sentence can be revoked and changed for any violation of the conditions where parole is part of a prison sentence and sometimes called a "Suspended sentence".

Being a PO varies GREATLY from agency to agency. Some are more social work based and some are more LE based. It also depends on the type of population you supervise. I supervise strictly sex offenders, so I am MUCH more LE based than social work.

My advice is to get to know the agency to which you're applying to, so it suits your personality and style. If the agency is known for being very LE and progressive, this means your going to be making arrests, searching homes, giving drug tests, carrying weapons, wearing body armor, and dealing with criminal behavior and everything that comes with it all day long. If you're more into the social work side of things, this may not fit for you.

If the agency is more social work oriented, then you're going to be working one on one in an office type setting where you're doing a lot of diversonary style work. I.E. making sure Drug and Alcohol counseling is completed, helping people find jobs, etc. If you prefer this style more, I would suggest you find a Probation/Parole agency that deals with diversonary programs like Accelerated Rehabilitaton, Mental Health Court, Drug Court and other hands on style of programs.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I've been a PO for about 10 years now. Please don't make the (very common) mistake of thinking that this job is not dangerous. It is VERY dangerous. There are some people that want to change, but there are some that have NO interest in changing at all and view you (the PO) as standing in the way of their criminal progress.
    Last edited by POSr; 05-11-2011, 09:03 AM. Reason: additional information

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Double tap
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-11-2011, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Like Kimble stated it will depend on where you are at.

Probation is much more linked to Social Work than to Law Enforcement for the most part. Parole is closer to LE but many times a PO will not have LE powers. But some places do, and in some states (like mine) some do and some don't have LE powers.

Bottom line is a PPO will have a lot of desk time. The first duty is to supervise those on probation or parole.......that means a lot of paperwork, office hours, and some being out in the field doing home visits/site visits.

Some states have Probation Officers. and Parole officer................some have PPO's and what you would get assigned is whatever is open when you get hired. Iowa has a mix-----you will have a case load of both Prob and Parole clients & maybe even be assigned to complete Pre Sentence Investigations for the courts.

Certified PPO's are an advanced level in Iowa and are certified LEO's who go through the academy. In some areas they are on USMS Fugitive teams, or High Risk Supervision units.

Leave a comment:

• Kimble
    replied
    Originally posted by BHammond1 View Post
    Hello, I'm starting school in the fall for my MSW degree. I've been looking at some different ways that I can apply that degree, especially since I don't want to be a therapist or ride a desk. Thankfully, a MSW is applicable to many fields and the search has lead me towards becoming interested in probation and parole.

Is there anyone on here that has worked as a probation/parole officer, or work with them, and could give me a quick rundown about what the job is like? I've done a little bit of research about the field, but I would love to hear from someone who has experience.
    The job is investigative in nature where your primary responsibilities are to monitor, locate (if the person on probation/parole doesn't check in as required) and arrest when probation violations occur. Probation/parole officers duties and authority beyond that vary by location and state statutes. Not sure about Missouri, but in Massachuesetts they are not authorized to carry firearms, where as in many other states they are and go through the same academy training as police officers.

Other than that, not sure what your research has already uncovered or what other questions you have about the job, but that's the job in a nut shell.

Leave a comment:

• BHammond1
    started a topic Interest in Probation/Parole

Interest in Probation/Parole

Hello, I'm starting school in the fall for my MSW degree. I've been looking at some different ways that I can apply that degree, especially since I don't want to be a therapist or ride a desk. Thankfully, a MSW is applicable to many fields and the search has lead me towards becoming interested in probation and parole.

Is there anyone on here that has worked as a probation/parole officer, or work with them, and could give me a quick rundown about what the job is like? I've done a little bit of research about the field, but I would love to hear from someone who has experience.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5227 users online. 316 members and 4911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X