Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legitimate question to ask in an interview?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legitimate question to ask in an interview?

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice here on a tricky situation.

I always read topics on here about big city/little city PD's, and that is what my question is regarding.

I'm from Nebraska, so any population of 20k is pretty big to me(everything is so spread out here )

I've applied to some police departments, but many are extremely small cities...i'm talking around the 1500 population.

Now, I would never of course want to sound rude or offend the Police chief or any citizens of the city, but would it be legitimate to ask a question about the possibility of the city disbanding the local PD and contracting out to the County Sheriff? I ask this because there are many small cities that have disbanded their PD's and work primarily through the Sheriffs. Now, I would relocate ANYWHERE for the job, but I don't want to relocate to a town of 1500 if the city council expects to shut down the PD in a few years, than I would have to look about relocating away from a city I just got used to....

Now, I've thought about how I would word the question "IF" I was to ask it. My thoughts would be:
    "With the economy here in Nebraska, I am aware of other cities(of roughly the same population) that have disbanded their PD's and contract out to the County because its more financially secure for the city. But I am looking for some job security and am in this career for the long haul. With myself relocating to this city, has there ever been any discussions in the past regarding disbanding the PD?"

I can't tell if it sounds rude to say or not, but it sounds like a legitimate question, right? I have my reasons for choosing the small towns, as they are appealing to me...

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

I guess it's a reasonable question, but if a city is hiring it doesn't seem reasonable that they'd be thinking about disbanding. That's not to say it hasn't or won't happen. Often times when a city does " go out of business" it's police officers will go to work for the Sheriff's Dept. That is provided they meet the Sheriff's Dept hiring standards.

Comment

I think it is a reasonable question and a legit concern.

Comment

I think how you word it is going to be key. You might phrase it by asking how committed the town/city council is to public safety, and whether or not they've experienced a large budget reduction lately, or a reduction in approved manpower.

You should also look at the quality of the equipment. If it's good equipment that looks like it was purchased new, that would indicate to me that the agency is supported well by its citizens. If it appears to be second hand, or well worn equipment, it might indicate to me that the city is either 1) unconcerned about public safety or 2) doesn't have the money to pay out for good stuff.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

I would ask it. Around here some of the new officers get hired off of gaming impact funds. They have a job as long as the gaming money is coming in. It would be fair to say that you question is just as legitimate. After all you get to let them know at the same time that you are in for the long run and don't plan on using them as a stepping stone without having to use those exact words.

Comment

If only ALL questions here in Ask a Cop were this reasonable.

Thanks OP for making my day.

(And yes, reasonable concern.)

-V

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                I think how you word it is going to be key. You might phrase it by asking how committed the town/city council is to public safety, and whether or not they've experienced a large budget reduction lately, or a reduction in approved manpower.

You should also look at the quality of the equipment. If it's good equipment that looks like it was purchased new, that would indicate to me that the agency is supported well by its citizens. If it appears to be second hand, or well worn equipment, it might indicate to me that the city is either 1) unconcerned about public safety or 2) doesn't have the money to pay out for good stuff.
                Thanks a lot everyone for the responses. Really appreciate it. I will continue to work on the wording of the question assuming I make it far enough in the hiring process, and if the situation arises!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4299 users online. 246 members and 4053 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X