Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations

Hello all out there:

I've posted here before. I'm not here to create excuses or transfer blame for mistakes, but I would appreciate some professional feedback for some issues that I have gone through that I am sure will complicate my ability to get hired as an LEO at this time. Let me give you a quick history of the good- then I will explain my concerns.

-8 years as a police explorer-some people look at that as nothing but I volunteered countless hours to my town for community and volunteer projects and in return was granted education and exposure to advanced law enforcement training including attending a police academy. I started at age 13 until I was 21. Instead of going bowling or partying with kids I was dedicated to my organization. I'm very proud of that.
    -Worked in security at a high-risk high crime city mall and was the youngest supervisor ever promoted in history as a third shift Lieutenant.
    -Received multiple awards including a police chief's commendation for assisting in the apprehension of a robbery suspect while employed as a security officer I assisted a sworn officer catch a purse snatcher
    - Was hired at a sworn police department as a dispatcher for two years-also received awards there for performance excellence during a bank robbery
    -Previous MRT
    -Previous certifications in PR-24 Expandable and OC Pepper Spray & self defense
    -No criminal record
    -No bad driving record
    -Excellent high school/school general records and grades
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Heres the concerns:

1) Credit not where I'd like it to be. Lost a job and surrendered a vehicle which is now listed as a reposession. Have been living paycheck to paycheck. I am in a position now where a financial advisor is recommending bankruptcy to clear up everything (approximately $6000.00 worth of debt as he says that my credit even if I paid my debts would take years for repair. Poor credit is due to my irresponsibility in managing credit cards when younger. I'm now 25 years old. I've been managing finances at home just fine now and managing all current debts without issue. Still a battle scar.

2) Termination from a job: I disagreed with the termination-I myself know that the security university I was working for found out I was being offered a state job as a Judicial Marshal and they rudely confronted me about it which I was honest and told them I was and I was subsequently terminated several weeks later. The reasons given were performance related-i.e., didn't perform the job the way they liked. Of course a BI will want further details, not concerned too much the department of labor awarded me my case and stated the termination seemed unreasonable. Nonetheless, it was a termination and it will raise eyebrows. I would say I made all kinds of mistakes and I've learned my lesson, but I guess I didn't really know what mistakes I made. Supervisors were present with me at all times while training and I was never coached for a specific incident so I didn't really know what to think. A B.I. will know more than me once he looks into it. Since being employed I've heard they've had multiple staffing issues there including terminating two supervisors following a student dying from a confrontation with staff, and also another supervisor placed on desk duty following a DUI arrest. Not much integrity shown but then again I was fired too so I'm not really one to talk.

3) Following my 21st birthday I moved and transferred from a small town police explorer post to a city post. I was laterally transferred as a Captain and then promoted to a civilian advisor while employed as a police dispatcher. I made the social mistake of becoming roommates with another civilian advisor with which I became friends with. After several months of him not paying bills or keeping up with his end of the rent, I advised him I was moving in with my fiancee at that time and parted ways. Several weeks later I was sent a letter that I was no longer welcome as a member to the explorers program based on several reasons: one being that I parked my car in a Sergeants spot while I was dropping off road block signs, one being that I requested to leave an event from being sick and they stated I abandoned my post(controversial/circumstantial), and then lastly I nervously told a police lieutenant that I could handle a busy traffic post and that I was trained in traffic where I was dispatching but it was a mistake only that I was trained in the town where I was an explorer not where I was employed as a dispatcher. Stupid mistake which could've been easily cleared up by talking to me but instead they $hit canned me. A lot of dramatic, and circumstantial situations. Again, if I could admit to doing this or that which is the adult thing to do, I would and say I was wrong here and there. Not sure how I can do that based on these circumstances-one thing I did learn is not to move in with workplace persons as it could have a serious negative impact on you if things don't work out.

4) My sister died from cancer on 2006 and then my father this past September 2010. Not looking for sympathy police work is very competitive. But these events took a huge toll on me emotionally and mentally. I began seeing a therapist and taking some medication for anxiety as a result of the deaths in my family. Its only been on a temporary basis which I've heard is not uncommon, however, I know it could have B.I. questioning the mental or psychological stability of a candidate. I'm currently managing through temporary medication and counseling to help.

5) Residency. Never been evicted from any residencies but my residency has changed every couple years moving to a different apartment. I left one apartment when I was injured falling on ice while my wife was pregnant after confronting the landlord and he did nothing to improve safety conditions on the property. I've now completed my term at my current residence and am looking to move again. I don't believe upon speaking to previous landlords/tenants/property managers there will be any question as to my stability as a tenant or rent payment history. Not sure if that will cause any issues because I've moved a few times here or there.

Since my termination I have been employed full time by two corporations in a different line of work. One for two years in which I was entrusted to handle money. Never any issues and I have never been a theft risk at any job I've held or ever been accused or involved in any theft issues(don't think there have ever been any reported anyways). I'm currently stable, and by stable I mean (no issues) at a stressful job right now unrelated to law enforcement. I would like to become a police officer more than anything-more so a state trooper-I enjoy motor vehicle/traffic enforcement mostly. All of my friends have been hired and I have become really depressed and disappointed in myself for everything negative that has occurred. I apologize if I sound like a baby but this is what my life is. I guess I'm looking for recommendations- what can I do? Thanks for reading.

I don't see anything that is an absolute deal-breaker in this short novel of yours, but you do have many hurdles to overcome.

Best advice for you is to put some time between the events you've alluded to, mature more, and try to make yourself more marketable.

You already know how competitive this process has gotten, so you need to really build the "pros" and put serious time between the "cons".

-V

EDIT: I'm not understanding the need to file for bankruptcy with only $6000 of debt. Are you in such a bad place that it's become a choice between bankruptcy and collections? If not, I'd strongly reconsider filing if you can pay the debt off within a reasonable time-frame while still keeping your payments current. Most who file have a GREAT deal more than $6000, and are in such a hole that it's the only viable option. A bankruptcy will stay with you for a GREAT many years, and will be a major red-flag. Not insurmountable, but with everything else, it could really hurt your chances.
    Last edited by vincelli; 05-08-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Nothing insurmountable...................................

There are a bunch of red flags that will have to be cleared before you will get hired but you knew that before you posted this .

Take each one of the numbered points above and work on each one separately & when you get it together start applying..

As a side note: It appears you are a crap magnet in as much as you don't have any fatal problems but you have a lot of things going on in your life that are conspiring against you.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the reply Iowa. I'm extremely interested in Corrections as well, but being that I've been counseled for anxiety I worry that a prison environment will wreak havok stress on me mentally and physchologically. What do you think? Workplace stress has never troubled me, loss of family has. I don't think the two are one in the same but at the same time I know a job in corrections while you have anxiety or stress issues can be extremely counterproductive...what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by kevfe1986 View Post
          Thanks for the reply Iowa. I'm extremely interested in Corrections as well, but being that I've been counseled for anxiety I worry that a prison environment will wreak havok stress on me mentally and physchologically. What do you think? Workplace stress has never troubled me, loss of family has. I don't think the two are one in the same but at the same time I know a job in corrections while you have anxiety or stress issues can be extremely counterproductive...what do you think?
          No, you have to be half crazy to work in a prison anyway

YOu would just have to learn to separate work/home and keep it that way. It's not all that hard with a little practice.

check out www.prisonofficer.org and ask around in there.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
            EDIT: I'm not understanding the need to file for bankruptcy with only $6000 of debt. Are you in such a bad place that it's become a choice between bankruptcy and collections? If not, I'd strongly reconsider filing if you can pay the debt off within a reasonable time-frame while still keeping your payments current. Most who file have a GREAT deal more than $6000, and are in such a hole that it's the only viable option. A bankruptcy will stay with you for a GREAT many years, and will be a major red-flag. Not insurmountable, but with everything else, it could really hurt your chances.
            Lots of financial advisers are doing that now days. The Bankruptcy isn't a big deal with most careers----------and they have no idea how bad it is for us.

I have a Captain at my place that has done 2 bankruptcy's since he was hired in 1986---they promoted him twice. (Our Background doesn't go into debts ect...................yea I know, another battle I fought for years)

Comment

You will need some new positive employment history, if you get on as a CO with a Jail or State Prison system for a couple of years that might help considerably.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3145 users online. 155 members and 2990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X