300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance of being hired

Right now I know work is really difficult to find for LE, but want to see what the likelihood is getting into an agency if I got an interview.

I'm 24 years old, but ever since high school I've supported myself instead of getting a job (due to helping my mom, she has high anxiety and does not leave the house). I have worked in landscaping, and then worked at a hardware store for a few years but left on bad terms (scheduling me while I had classes). I literally have no work history and really kick myself in the butt for not keeping a job full time butt it's hard because of helping my mom, I have to stay around the house all day incase she needs help, and when I had a job she would call the store all the time wanting me to get something for her (sometimes driving a few hours away to get it after work). However my main income was selling things. I would fix something like computer parts or surfboards and sell them, mainly as a hobby, but this was the best way to get money due to my mom.
    I'm finally done with community college, and now I'm going to be hired at a high end resort while I look for police work, and trying to get a volunteer work in my city in public safety. Do you think with a good reference the agency would consider me?

Also, I've never been convicted of a crime BUT when I was 15 years old I hung around the wrong crowd for about a year. During that time we were walking in a gated community at night, and they robbed a food stand and broke a glass table, they made me be lookout but I went home since I didn't want to be apart of it.
    I think I should mention this even if they don't ask, what do you think?

Also I've had 2 speeding tickets, first time was over 5 years ago, and the second was probably 3 years ago by now.

I don't do hardcore drugs, hate drinking, and I smoked weed once more than a year ago (probably even 2 years ago).

Main thing is the work history and I know it's terrible. I know one guy though who joined the county sheriffs with only a year of work experience, so I think I may have a chance somehow haha

Thanks for reading,

Chad

You were an accessory to a felony. You WILL have to disclose this (if you don't, you'll fail the poly), and this will have a very negative impact on your application. I've seen people get hired even after making stupid childish decisions like this, but LE is a LOT more competitive than it has ever been. The only saving grace is that you were 15 when it happened, but that may not be enough.

The college degree will help, but you really need to build some positive work history from this point on. Leaving jobs on bad terms will not help, just another red-flag.

The pot use is WAY too fresh. You're gonna need at least 3-5 years since last use (assuming you're being honest and only "experimented"; if not, you'll flunk the poly).

All together, you have a VERY tough road to get into LE, and it's gonna take a lot of hard work and time.

With how competitive LE is right now, you may not ever get in (but no one knows the future).

-V

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with Vincelli.

I think your best bet would be to work (at one place) for a good 3+ years. Then after that you could give it a try. Though depending on the department/agency the drug use may still be too soon. If you were ~20 and said you had used it once 2yrs ago might not look so bad. Though use at 22-23yrs old could show that you us used poor judgement at an adult age. Just my thoughts. Though I'd still put in some good time at a single place to show you can be a dedicated employee and then try from there! Never hurts to put in at places.

Comment

I don't see any stone walls blocking you.

There are a few roadblocks in your way but nothing patently fatal.

Get a job. Keep it for a few yrs while you build a history----------------5 yrs of hard work, no drugs & laying off the lead foot will probably make you a viable candidate.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Doing that repair work means you did have a job and were self employed. Did you fill out 10-99's? If you did you can count that as work. Granted its not the same as working for an actual employer but it is something.

I'd give it some time before applying. Consider the military if possible.
          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Would you guys recommend I do volunteer work at one of the stations?

Comment

Originally posted by chadmackenzie View Post
              Would you guys recommend I do volunteer work at one of the stations?
              I would get a paying job before worrying about volunteering.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Chad, let's deal with the "felony" you referenced. The cold hard fact is, you did participate in the commission of a felony. You will be asked at some point in the process, if you've ever committed a crime for which you were neither arrested or charged. Obviously, your answer will be "Yes". How an agency deals with this will determined by state standards and agency policy. As has been noted, your most recent use of Marijuana has been too recent. A period of three to five years, drug free will be required before you can be considered a viable candidate. Concerning your Mother. I commend you in your efforts as her caregiver, however, you have to realize that if your are eventually hired, you may have to look into other options for caring for her. Job history. While volunteering is commendable, you need to establish a solid work history in a paying job. Agencies place a high premium on work histories, and currently, yours is a little shaky. Currently, as we speak, you're not the most desirable of potential applicants. It's possible that can be "fixed". Be prepared for your participation in the "robbery" to emerge as an obstacle in your search for employment.

Comment

......oops!
                  Last edited by nmc; 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nmc View Post
                    What about the fact that your mom doesn't appear to be self-sufficient? This may be an issue when being interviewed at a police department. If she is calling you at work and you have to alter your life and work habits how will you commit to 12 hour shifts? Have you looked into disability insurance or assisted living for her? I was in a similar situation a few years ago and luckily we worked through it while I didn't have a job in LE, but if I had gotten one, I could see that as being an issue during screening/training/working.

Good advice but... this is the "ask a cop" section

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...-To-Posts-Here

IF YOU POST HERE AND DO NOT QUALIFY AS THE ABOVE, YOU WILL BE BANNED IMMEDIATELY AND FOREVER. CANNOT STATE IT ANY CLEARER. NO EXCEPTIONS. NO WARNINGS. NO ANTI-LAW ENFORCEMENT RESPONSES OR POSTS.
                    Thanks
                    WebTeam
                    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      Chad, let's deal with the "felony" you referenced. The cold hard fact is, you did participate in the commission of a felony. You will be asked at some point in the process, if you've ever committed a crime for which you were neither arrested or charged. Obviously, your answer will be "Yes". How an agency deals with this will determined by state standards and agency policy. As has been noted, your most recent use of Marijuana has been too recent. A period of three to five years, drug free will be required before you can be considered a viable candidate. Concerning your Mother. I commend you in your efforts as her caregiver, however, you have to realize that if your are eventually hired, you may have to look into other options for caring for her. Job history. While volunteering is commendable, you need to establish a solid work history in a paying job. Agencies place a high premium on work histories, and currently, yours is a little shaky. Currently, as we speak, you're not the most desirable of potential applicants. It's possible that can be "fixed". Be prepared for your participation in the "robbery" to emerge as an obstacle in your search for employment.
                      I definitely regret ever hanging out with those kids. I'm glad that I stopped hanging out with them, they ended up to be hard core drug addicts and have been arrested numerous times. Luckily for the job problem I'm being hired at a high end hotel, and I plan on STAYING there no matter what.
                      Already looking into options for having my mom cared for, I can't have her interrupting work/school anymore. I'm planning on hiring a caregiver eventually or my sister will take care of her when she moves back to town, and there is grocery delivery available as well that she can use.

Comment

wait a minute. are u the same guy that blamed his insurance problems on his mom?
                        Originally posted by crass cop
                        Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Honestly.. I don't think you're going to make it in to any department.. You're an accessory to a felony crime.. Outstanding.. Its like me asking if I can be a grade school teacher while being a 290 registrant.. Oil and water

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                            wait a minute. are u the same guy that blamed his insurance problems on his mom?
                            Nope

Comment

Originally posted by JDD View Post
                              Honestly.. I don't think you're going to make it in to any department.. You're an accessory to a felony crime.. Outstanding.. Its like me asking if I can be a grade school teacher while being a 290 registrant.. Oil and water
                              I think I have a pretty good chance of becoming a cop still in a few years or even more if required, plus if we were caught for what we were doing, there is a possibility it would not have gone on my record anyways. Plus I don't run around and get the thrill of destroying peoples property like a child molester does raping and murdering children. They don't care what they have done and would do it again if they had the chance. I think the station I apply for would see that I do have deep regret what I did.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6295 users online. 345 members and 5950 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X