Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of Agency is best to work for?(1 of 2 questions)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Agency is best to work for?(1 of 2 questions)

I've always wanted to work for a County. Figured, that it would pay more than if I was hired by a city and also I would have a larger area of jurisdiction but while I was doing my research; I stumbled apon some information that made me stop and think maybe County isn't such a good idea. So this brings me to my 2 questions.

First, What kind of Agency is best to work for?

Second, Are all Counties like this example(below)?

TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: All County Employees are “At Will” employees. “At Will” employment is not for a specific period of time and employment may be terminated at any time, without notice or liability of any kind (except for wages earned and unpaid) and with or without cause. Unless rehired by a newly elected supervising County official, employment shall cease at the conclusion of the county’s biennium (December 31st of even-numbered years).
    I can't imagine being kicked to the street over some political bs. Some Big Wig's grandson wants a to be a LE Officer and guess who loses their job to give him that chance?
    Last edited by Legion; 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM.

There are a lot of at will departments, just as there are a lot of civil service departments.

Comment

Ok....I'm not as shocked as I was anymore. It took a min to soak in. Job security in the military has ruined me!

That just seems so wrong to have the ability to fire someone without any wrong doing being involved.

Comment

It all depends on where you work.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          It all depends on where you work.
          yea. where are we talking about?
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

An "at will " state. Most likely down south.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I've worked in two at-will states.

Never had a problem, if you do a good job and people like you, your chances of being fired are greatly reduced.

Comment

Legion;

You need to research what the difference(s) are between 'at will' and 'civil service' agencies.....this will also vary between states as well.

Here in CA, we have several legal protections, as well as civil service protection.

I would have to do something REALLY stupid (or illegal, of course) to get fired out here.
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                  Legion;

You need to research what the difference(s) are between 'at will' and 'civil service' agencies.....this will also vary between states as well.

Here in CA, we have several legal protections, as well as civil service protection.

I would have to do something REALLY stupid (or illegal, of course) to get fired out here.
                  Likewise Iowa is a strong "right to work" state.
                  However we have public collective bargaining AND/or Civil Service for most law enforcement agencies.

ALL deputy sheriffs in Iowa are covered by Civil Service..............................

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post
                    First, What kind of Agency is best to work for?
                    The one that will hire you...

Originally posted by Legion View Post
                    Second, Are all Counties like this example(below)?

I can't imagine being kicked to the street over some political bs. Some Big Wig's grandson wants a to be a LE Officer and guess who loses their job to give him that chance?
                    Depends on where you are. Around here, all counties are civil service meaning that kind of thing can't happen.
                    Originally posted by kontemplerande
                    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      The one that will hire you....
                      That's the answer these days.... Get in, get trained, get experience and move on in a couple years to where you really want to go.
                      Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Point taken. Also, Thanks for the information.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3061 users online. 197 members and 2864 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X