300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph worries

The main thing I'd be worried about in a poly test is that I do come forth with everything relating to the question at hand, but that I'll be worried that I've forgotten to recall something and it would cause a deceptive reading. Is this a common thing to happen? Is there any safeguarding against nerves?

If you have forgotten it, I don't see how you could show any results about it.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      If you have forgotten it, I don't see how you could show any results about it.
      Exactly, the polygraph is not a mind reading machine. It is a pseudo science machine that will measure body changes in response to questions. In theory if you show stress about a question, your body will react and thus give the machine a reading different from the baseline. The stress response is interpreted by the operator as lying.

If you do not have stress about a question (IE you think you've come clean) your reading should be fine. Spilling your guts to the operator will do a lot to relieve your nerves. Spending 2-3 hours being questioned and explaining your answers is common.

Comment

A soft drink machine can't tell if you're lying or not. Neither can a Polygraph. In a properly administered examination, the Examiner will go over each question he/she proposes to ask you. It's at this time that you have the opportunity to explain any reply which might cause a reaction from the instrument. When the exam actually runs, you'll be required to answer each question "Yes" or "No".Being a little nervous is pretty much of a given, and I don't believe I'd be too concerned about it.

Comment

But isn't it fairly common for people to fail the poly even though they aren't lying? At least I've read of numerous sob stories here.

If the machine can't tell if you're lying, isn't it unfair to determine someone's truthfulness based off of this device?
          Last edited by Ignite; 05-06-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
            But isn't it fairly common for people to fail the poly even though they aren't lying? At least I've read of numerous sob stories here.

If the machine can't tell if you're lying, isn't it unfair to determine someone's truthfulness based off of this device?
            I'm going to neither defend or endorse the Polygraph. It's a very controversial device. What you as a potential applicant have to know and accept, is the fact that many, many agencies use the Polygraph in the hiring process. It's an investigative tool. No more, no less.

Comment

As stated above ----the machine determines nothing. The examiner is trained to interpret the results of the examination (as well as formulate the appropriate questions). The polygraph examination is no better than the person administering the exam. Some are better than others and some have more experience than others. Each examiner has his/her own style of examination and most have different styles when performing criminal investigations than when performing employment examinations.

The polygraph also does not disqualify anyone nor does the polygraph examiner. The results of the examination is forwarded to the appointing authority along with all other parts of the pre hiring tests and examination for consideration of the whole package.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^I've also heard of many people being told they've passed the polygraph by the test giver, so I guess it's not always the PD's decision...?

Comment

^I've also heard of many people being told they've passed the polygraph by the test giver, so I guess it's not always the PD's decision...?
                  You're not reading the replies. Read Iowa's once more. It's post#7. It answers the question I've quoted above. B T W, don't believe all the crap and B.S. you hear from friends. 99.9% of the time, they are totally clueless as to what they're talking about.

Comment

Yes , after my last polygraph I was told I passed the test. That was the examiners opinion.

That doesn't mean that the appointing authority had to agree, or chose to DQ me. It just meant that I passed the poly.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

ok, got it. Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5925 users online. 325 members and 5600 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X