300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my height/weight hold me back?

I am in the hiring process with a large department in Virginia. I have passed my testing, poly, and am now awaiting PT and background. I have a B.S. and a M.S. (graduating today actually) and am very interested in getting into forensics.

I feel I have the knowledge, interest, and dedication to serve as a police officer. However, at 5'8 145 I feel my size may be a draw back. I know in the academy I will learn how to use my height/weight to my advantage, but I know I don't meet the stereotypical "large and in charge" COP frame. I am working out as best I can but I realize there's only so much I can do with the cards I've been dealt.

Does anyone see this as a significant draw back? Do offenders find smaller COPS less threatening or are they more likely to be resistant?

You'll be fine. Just carry yourself like a cop, give respect when its due, and don't let a perp treat you like a punk. Learn how to talk to people in different situations, talking is the best tool we have, but don't be afraid to go "hands on" if you have too.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Some of the best (and most feisty) cops I know are small women. If a 5'03" 115 lbs female can kick *** and take names with the best of us, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Why does everyone think all police officers are built like football players? At 5'8" you would tower over some people I've worked with over the years.

Comment

Only reference that I will surmise that size doesn't, in fact, matter.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I am a fairly large guy along with most on our dept. However, the smallest man on our SWAT team (as well as the smallest in the dept) could beat the stuffing out of the rest of us. Just feisty and quick.

If you truly feel you need to be bigger try drinking supplements between meals and working out. It will add bulk. But as others have stated it is not necessary.

Comment

I spent 35 yrs in the profession at 5'7" 150lbs.

Never had a problem
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's the small ones that you have to watch out for!

You'll learn that it isn't always brawn...it's brains.....and how well you can verbalize. It also helps being able to go from zero to beeeotch in nothing flat!

You'll be fine.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  Only reference that I will surmise that size doesn't, in fact, matter.

I do get some solace from that thought.

Comment

Law enforcement officers come in all shapes, sizes and colors. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Comment

Whatever happens, don't become "THAT" guy. You know the smaller guy with the big man complex. He goes around acting all tough and ****ing people off. Every agency where I have worked has had at least one.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

It's in the mind set and officer presence in how you handle your self. I'm a skinny dude, about the same stats as you for that matter. I hit the road in a few days. I got crap in my academy for my size but I held my own.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                        (")_(")
                        Copy and paste Bunny into your
                        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

It's a non issue.

Comment

I never think less of a police officer who is smaller in size....and anyway you could wear some boots to give you an extra inch and strap on some kevlar to give you an extra 40 pounds (appearance-wise)

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                              Whatever happens, don't become "THAT" guy. You know the smaller guy with the big man complex. He goes around acting all tough and ****ing people off. Every agency where I have worked has had at least one.
                              We call him Chief.
                              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4493 users online. 276 members and 4217 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X