300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Has anyone ever been in the academy for one department, and decided to go with another department?

When in the academy, would one have an opportunity to take a day off and go in for a physical or interview for another department?

Just wondering if this is possible and if anyone has been in a similar position.

I think it's kind of two faced. The department is putting you through the academy and paying for it and you want to jump ship. Besides the contractual issues.
    I think it shows a lack of commitment and loyalty to both departments.
    Last edited by OneAdam12; 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I agree with that, what if the department you have always wanted to work for doesn't come around until you are already in another academy?

Comment

If you a much better opportunity, I wouldn't fault you too much for taking it. But keep in mind, you will be seriously burning a bridge.

And, it doesn't sound like the other job is a sure thing. If your current department finds out you are taking a time off to test other places they probably wouldn't look at it too kindly. Not sure if they would fire you, but I can tell you my Chief wouldn't be happy at all if he found out you are doing that. Put a couple years on, then look to move up in the world, that is a different story... most PDs aren't nearly as mad about that (many will even encourage you to advance your career).

Comment

Originally posted by kotcho View Post
          I agree with that, what if the department you have always wanted to work for doesn't come around until you are already in another academy?
          You would be much more marketable to that "dream agency" after you were trained and had some experience.

If it is meant to be there will be another chance at that agency.........................right now (using your scenario) it would be a toss up if they would hire you ------------and if the department you are currently in the academy for found out------they would probably trash you.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

very good points gentlemen, let me ask you this: in this current economy, do you think it is a good choice to take the first job offer you get......even if the pay is significantly less than other departments you are applying to?

this is specifically tailored to my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by kotcho View Post
              very good points gentlemen, let me ask you this: in this current economy, do you think it is a good choice to take the first job offer you get......even if the pay is significantly less than other departments you are applying to?

this is specifically tailored to my situation.
              Yes.........................as long as it is a VALID final offer.

The old saying " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." comes to mind when looking at jobs today.

There are literally thousands of people out there looking for police jobs right now. If you are lucky enough to get a final offer, and only a hope of another .................take the sure thing. Like I said before , if it is meant to be it will happen later .......
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

thank you very much, i will definitely be taking your opinion to heart

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3741 users online. 218 members and 3523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X