Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about hiring - Background Investigation / Employment - very confused

old info?? yep it is lol
    Last edited by vacbanned4; 06-25-2013, 04:00 AM. Reason: del

OMG, take your Ridilin and relax.
    Willie, Willie worry wort!
    IMO you should include EVERY JOB you have ever had. The app asks for EVERY job in chronological order, right?

Comment

Originally posted by vacbanned4 View Post
      Hey there,

I am new to the forum. A friend of mine is active on here and said this would be the place to get some answers.

If you don't feel like reading my entire post, please skip to the very bottom for a sumarized question...

Anyway, I'll get straight to the point - I have been applying to PD's since 2009 when I graduated college. My first applications were all for non-certified. On my original applications that I submitted to 3 different departments, I was not very careful with my background documents/application. I guessed at a lot of the dates (without actually looking) and also listed jobs that were paid under the table (unable to be verified). One of my applications got totally denied because I didn't include all the proper documents, the other two got processed but the job ended up closing before I got very far.

Now, 2 years later, I am certified (self-sponsored) and just started applying to various departments.

However, when I joined the academy, they explained the background documents to me and told me NOT to include jobs that were paid under the table - as these could NOT be verified with the FBI background check and/or credit check. So my application to the academy contained only the 100% legit verifiable jobs that I have had. In addition, I made sure the dates of school/work were 100% accurate to the day.

So now I'm in a very sticky spot - or at least I think I am.

Because I applied to 3 depts BEFORE I knew what the hell I was doing, my app was sent to those 3 depts in error, with jobs listed that were paid under the table and incorrect dates. Now with the new depts I am applying to, I understand they will go back and find my applications to the other departments and scrutinize the info on those old applications with the info I gave on the new application(s).

There WILL be discrepancies. The 3 old applications have jobs that were paid under the table and unverified as well as incorrect dates. The new applications have all 100% proper dates, with NO jobs that were paid under the table listed.

Bottom line, is this going to be a problem for me? Is it going to come time for background investigation and the investigator will see the discrepancies and automatically disqualify me?

Or is this a common thing and I should be okay?

The only two major differences is the additional listing of two jobs on prior applications, and the dates of jobs/education being slightly off (usually just by a few weeks/months).

Also, is there a period of time in which prior applications get destroyed/purged? Or are they permanent record forever?

Is there anything else I can do????

Also if it matters I am in the Boca Raton, FL area.

Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks

SUMARY:

1. Applied to PD's in 2009 with incorrect information on background documents
      2. Applying to PDs now in 2011 with my FDLE cert with CORRECT info on background documents
      3. Is this a problem? if so, what can I do to fix it?

#1 as a graduate of a self sponsored academy with no job experience in law enforcement you are certifiable ---not certified.

#2 Don't listen to the instructors at your academy as to what the department you are applying to uses for qualifications or background investigations..............Simply follow the directions on the forms....If it says LIST ALL PREVIOUS JOBS.....list all previous jobs.

#2A We don't do FBI background investigations. We conduct our own background investigations and your jobs that were paid under the table are easily investigated when you give the investigator the proper information

#2B If you have too many jobs where you were paid under the table ----------I as a Background Investigator would probably refer your case to an IRS Criminal Investigator for further processing (after I threw your application in the circular file)

#3 Every background will have some discrepancies. BI's meet with the subject and during the interview(s) discuss any problems and will figure out ways to make it work.

#4 Most departments keep your application on file forever if they process it enough to do testing, investigation, or expend any major resources during the process................that is for legal purposes.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        #1 as a graduate of a self sponsored academy with no job experience in law enforcement you are certifiable ---not certified.

#2 Don't listen to the instructors at your academy as to what the department you are applying to uses for qualifications or background investigations..............Simply follow the directions on the forms....If it says LIST ALL PREVIOUS JOBS.....list all previous jobs.

#2A We don't do FBI background investigations. We conduct our own background investigations and your jobs that were paid under the table are easily investigated when you give the investigator the proper information

#2B If you have too many jobs where you were paid under the table ----------I as a Background Investigator would probably refer your case to an IRS Criminal Investigator for further processing (after I threw your application in the circular file)

#3 Every background will have some discrepancies. BI's meet with the subject and during the interview(s) discuss any problems and will figure out ways to make it work.

#4 Most departments keep your application on file forever if they process it enough to do testing, investigation, or expend any major resources during the process................that is for legal purposes.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply.

I held 2 jobs paid under the table, one when I was 15 years old, the other when I was 20.

However, now that I've already applied with other depts and left those jobs out, what should I do? Amend my application? Or just wait for it to come up during the investigation process?

Thanks a lot for the reply!!! =)

Comment

Originally posted by vacbanned4 View Post

However, now that I've already applied with other depts and left those jobs out, what should I do? Amend my application? Or just wait for it to come up during the investigation process?

Thanks a lot for the reply!!! =)
            I would ammend the application..............................The worse thiing you can do to a Background Investigator is let him/her discover something that you could have/should have told them about. They don't like surprises as it makes them think you are being deceptive.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I would ammend the application..............................The worse thiing you can do to a Background Investigator is let him/her discover something that you could have/should have told them about. They don't like surprises as it makes them think you are being deceptive.
              OK will do immediately. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3149 users online. 169 members and 2980 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X