300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring 1811

I havent posted in this part of the online forum, so I am new to this area and wanted to gather some advice for my aspirations of becoming an 1811 someday.

I was in the process for a DUSM position but that all came to an end with the cancellation of FCIP. I spoke with a few people that interviewed the same day as me, that were not vets and they got the call and I didnt. I think the one had a masters degree and 10 years work experience in the HR sector and the other only had 10 years of work experience working for a business. They were both around 35 and I am closer to 20.

How could I make myself more competitive so next time I would get a call around the same time as them or even before them?

I have followed Kimble's advice, and have decided to go the officer route. I figure give it a couple of years than start applying to those 1811 spots down the road.

I should be heading to the CBP academy for CBP officer soon, so once I graduate then what...

Pursue a masters degree.. Masters in Education or Masters in Business Administration. Something else? I already have a BA in accounting, and do not think I could survive a masters in it.

Get involved with the community... become a local firefighter or volunteer for the red cross? Something else?

Work myself up at work.. try to get on a task force, honor guard, get involved with the "explorers"? The only issue with this is that most of the people at the area I would be working at are a lot older than me, so they have more seniority and it might be harder for me to work my way up.

What does everyone think, any ideas? Thank you for your thoughts and guidance, I truly do appreciate it. I would especially like to thank Kimble and Bearcat357.
    CBPO
    Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
    TO: 2/2011
    Medical: 3/22/2011
    PT Test: 3/22/2011
    VBT: 3/2011
    Background: 3/2011
    Drug Test: 4/2011
    Referred to TSU: 5/2011
    PT Test 2: TBD
    FLETC: Good Question lol
    CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
    Info Session 9/2009
    Interview 3/2010
    COE 5/2010
    Medical 5/2010
    Fit/Background 7/2010
    All clear as of 11/2010
    FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

There is no correct path to getting hired as an 1811. I work with agents from various agencies with all different backgrounds. Some got hired right out of college (usually as a co-op). Some had prior LE experience, some worked in the private sector, some have masters, some have just a high school diploma. Some speak foreign languages, some are accountants, lawyers and former construction contractors.

My advice is: If you are going to be a CBPO, work hard, don't fall into the union-saltbox mentality, volunteer for extra shifts, side duties, whatever. Get to know the ICE agents and other 1811's that you work with. If you want to advance your education, do it because you want to get a masters degree and make sure its something that you want to study for two years and spend a ton of money and time on. Don't just do it to check a box.

Apply for every 1811 opening you would consider accepting. Be flexible by agency and geographically.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Thank you for the information ICEAGENT,

I will work really hard and will apply to every opening for 1811. I just applied for a job in Alaska the other day for an 1811... so we'll see. I just hope soon to receive a job offer, hoping CBP pulls through!

I will stay away from the union jumbo and will network.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
      CBPO
      CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
      Info Session 9/2009
      Interview 3/2010
      COE 5/2010
      Medical 5/2010
      Fit/Background 7/2010
      All clear as of 11/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
        I just applied for a job in Alaska the other day for an 1811...

Errr.... just an FYI.....that was for applicants who permanently reside in the local commuting area......

Comment

I work with a former CBPO, ICEAGENT's advice above is spot-on. There's a lot of folks applying for 1811 positions, a lot of what it takes to be hired is timing and luck. Apply to any agency that interests you, but be one of the officers that coworkers see as dependable and reliable at whatever job you do beforehand (reputation goes a long way in law enforcement, 1811 or otherwise). An advanced degree is nice, but really think about whether it's best before you take on the student loans you'll have to pay back.

I've seen outstanding applicants not hired because of budget issues, other applicants who had family connections within the agency, and other reasons. Sometimes no matter how qualified you are (in your eyes or in the eyes of the agency you're applying to) it still comes down to luck and timing. The good thing for you is if you're in your early 20's time is on your side.
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you Kimble.

Now thinking about everything. I think I am going to hold off on that graduate degree for awhile.

I will aim for a solid reputation.

How was the CBPO's background, did anything stand out with him/her?

Take care.
            CBPO
            CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
            Info Session 9/2009
            Interview 3/2010
            COE 5/2010
            Medical 5/2010
            Fit/Background 7/2010
            All clear as of 11/2010

Comment

How can you be "closer to 20"? Does that mean you are 18? If you aren't at least 21, forget about 1811.
              Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4273 users online. 267 members and 4006 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X