300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Ties

Recently a member of my immediate family was charged with possession. In a small county/community will this directly effect me getting hired?

I'm not looking at a yes or no answer per say, but has anyone seen a situation like this unfold and if so what happened.

*I understand I am my own person but also understand small county politics.

Your brother or whoever is the dirtbag, not you. You'll be fine, it's not like they're checking his background for your job. Or is this "member of my immediate family" you that you are talking about?
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

If it was me I would say it was me. Also while he made poor decisions I don't think the dirtbag comment is necessary.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm looking for an answer from "brass" with experience in hiring.

Comment

If it was me I would say it was me. Also while he made poor decisions I don't think the dirtbag comment is necessary.

--I don't think you get to dictate how officers respond to your posts!

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm looking for an answer from "brass" with experience in hiring

--Then you should have included that in your question
        Last edited by Ohio5-0; 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post

--I don't think you get to dictate how officers respond to your posts!

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm looking for an answer from "brass" with experience in hiring

--Then you should have included that in your question
          I asked if anyone has seen something like this unfold. I assumed someone who knew would be in a position where they evaluated new hires. Usually those positions are held by brass.

I can't dictate how someone responds and I didn't mean to come off that way. But regardless of the poor choices they make I still love my family. Anybody that does would have a problem with remarks like that. I asked for insight, not to have some body close to me to be belittled.

Comment

Originally posted by danny06m View Post

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm looking for an answer from "brass" with experience in hiring.
            And since when do you as a civilian come to an open forum of police officers and dictate how ans who you want to answer. Last I checked you are a newcomer, if you don't like when people say mean things to you and give you straight answers (A) you don't belong in this profession where people will talk s*** to you all the time and (B) you are more than welcome to take your ball and play elsewhere

I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
              And since when do you as a civilian come to an open forum of police officers and dictate how ans who you want to answer. Last I checked you are a newcomer, if you don't like when people say mean things to you and give you straight answers (A) you don't belong in this profession where people will talk s*** to you all the time and (B) you are more than welcome to take your ball and play elsewhere
              Understood. I'm looking for answers that is all.

Everyones entitled to opinions. And in mine your comment was disrespectful especially not knowing anything about the situation.

And of course I understand you need thick skin, I just thought there was a bit more mutual respect amongst each other.

Comment

Respect is earned, so far as I have seen, you've done nothing to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                  Respect is earned, so far as I have seen, you've done nothing to earn it.
                  Come on man. How do you even earn someone's respect online? I'm just looking for insight for an ordeal that I've recently had to go through. Do I understand people will say stuff on the streets? Absolutely. But I didn't think I had to worry about crap like that here.

you get to choose your friends, you don't get to choose your family.

Comment

Originally posted by danny06m View Post
                    Come on man. How do you even earn someone's respect online? I'm just looking for insight for an ordeal that I've recently had to go through. Do I understand people will say stuff on the streets? Absolutely. But I didn't think I had to worry about crap like that here.

you get to choose your friends, you don't get to choose your family.
                    That's true, you don't get to pick your family which is exactly why this isn't going to affect you.

You also earn respect by not dictating who answers your question, especially on a public forum. Every police officer who is on the job that posts on this website will tell you the same thing. I may sound like a d*** for saying what I said but I'm not going to apologize for it.
                    Last edited by USMARINE; 04-30-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

edit: Deleted. Posted in wrong forum. Sorry about that.
                      Last edited by JJHunsacker; 04-30-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kholdstayr
                        And this is why cops get such a bad rap. Way to show your maturity and professionalism.... while accusing others of being unprofessional. What a joke. I don't know why you have to sound like a dick when giving a "straight" answer.
                        I don't know why you think anyone cares about your 2 cents.
                        Marine was not being a "dick", he answered the question honestly in his own way.
                        Attacking sworn officers is a great way to show YOUR maturity!

Comment

Danny, I had a buddy from a very small town who's brother is a convicted felon. My buddy had no issues with that in getting a job. Good luck.
                          This is Ask A Cop isn't it? Oh right.....

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                            This is a forum for members of the Law Enforcement community. Civilians such as ourselves are allowed to post here. If you don't like honest and direct replies to your posts, then don't post here, because that's all you are going to get. Actually, shouldn't you want that? Just a thought.
                            Agreed. I can't dictate how one responds nor should I. The answer to the question wasn't what I had a problem with. It was the remark made towards my family. Regardless we've ranted about this long enough.

Anyone else with knowledge on the topic feel free to chime in.

Comment

Yes, and that's why people post here. Let me show you the difference between a straight answer and a derogatory answer:

Derogatory: Your brother or whoever is the dirtbag, not you. You'll be fine, it's not like they're checking his background for your job. Or is this "member of my immediate family" you that you are talking about?
                              - assuming op is talking about himself
                              - calling brother a dirtbag

straight answer: "Danny, I had a buddy from a very small town who's brother is a convicted felon. My buddy had no issues with that in getting a job. Good luck."
                              - No name calling
                              - Attempted to answer question without making assumptions or over-speculating.

It's shocking to me how cynical some of the "veteran" cops have become. You can't even give honest and direct responses anymore.
                              I've already reported it but it's ask a cop not ask a loss prevention dude.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4269 users online. 281 members and 3988 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X