300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a non-sponsoring agency

I got invited to the PAT and Written Exam for Rowlett PD in just a couple of weeks, as I was going through their website I stumbled upon something that is a requirement I hadn't noticed when I sent in my application
    7. TCLEOSE Certified or TCLEOSE certifiable (has taken and passed TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Exam)

Obviously since I'm asking this I'm not yet TCLEOSE certified, as I thought with the other departments who have called me to test in the upcoming weeks, said they will put me through the academy. As I was reading further down the page I saw this,
    For information on becoming a licensed Texas Peace Officer contact the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) at 817-640-3300, or TCLEOSE at 512-936-7700 (www.tcleose.state.tx.us). The Rowlett Police Department is not a sponsoring agency

And with that I thought I was automatically DQ'ed, but, I kept looking, and found this
    7. Applicants will be given employment start dates. TCLEOSE licensed personnel will begin orientation and then move on to our Police Training Officer program. (Non licensed personnel will attend a Basic Peace Officer Academy as soon as an academy starts).

I've already emailed the Lt. once today about another question I had, and don't want to look like an idiot by emailing him again, so maybe can one of you clear this up for me from what I've posted? Do I need to be TCLEOSE certified to even have a chance, or does it look like they will send me through their/another academy?

I suppose I'll email him again anyways, just wanted to see if maybe someone on here might know..

Read the second Paragraph #7 which you have already emboldened. It would seem to answer your question.

Comment

And if you read the part in parenthesis in the last paragraph, what is written clashes with the second paragraph, which is the reason I'm even posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by DWM811 View Post
        And if you read the part in parenthesis in the last paragraph, what is written clashes with the second paragraph, which is the reason I'm even posting this.
        Well, it may have escaped you, but I'm merely attempting to assist you. Why ask a question if you're going to argue with a good faith reply? In your original post you stated you didn't want to look like an idiot. That should be a concern. So should appearing as some sort of self entitled tool. When all is said and done, you should probably inquire of the department. In that way you'll receive a definitive answer. You'd better check your attitude at the door when you make these inquiries. It could end up biting you in the butt.

Comment

I would need to see the entire posting to completed understand the requirements. You have two paragraphs marked #7........they conflict as you have cut an pasted. I am sure if you read the entire statement of requirements ---the answer you seek is there.

After reading the following page on their website------ you need to read the AND OR statements

http://tx-rowlett.civicplus.com/index.aspx?nid=186

1. Minimum 21 years of age. No maximum age cutoff.

2. 20/200 vision correctable to 20/20.

3. Valid Texas Drivers license.

4. U.S. Citizenship

NOTE THE WORD OR

5. High school diploma or
          6. GED and at least one 12 hrs semester hours from a regionally accredited college or university with a “C” or average or better, or
          7. TCLEOSE Certified or TCLEOSE certifiable (has taken and passed TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Exam), or a

8. Peace License from another State, or

9. Have 4 years active (not Reserve) military duty in any branch of the United States Armed Forces and an Honorable Discharge. If prior military must have received an Honorable Discharge.

10. No Felony or Class B Misdemeanors or higher convictions, and

11. Pass written examination with a score of 70% or higher, and

12. Pass all events on the physical agility test, and

13. Pass an extensive background investigation, and

14.Pass an Oral Interview Board and interview with the Chief, and

15. Pass a polygraph examination, and

16. Pass a psychological examination, and

17. Pass the City’s medical/physical examination and drug screening.
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm not arguing with anything, nor was that written with the slightest hint of attitude, which I didn't know could be measured through an online post. I was simply wondering if someone could clarify what was written, as it is with legalese, it was written kind of confusing, either way I emailed the Lt. and should have a reply back soon, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              I would need to see the entire posting to completed understand the requirements. You have two paragraphs marked #7........they conflict as you have cut an pasted. I am sure if you read the entire statement of requirements ---the answer you seek is there.
              Yea I should have posted more, but I took what I thought would be important, the reason there are two #7's is because they are from two seperate pages on the website, Also another reason I am confused is because one their website, again on two different pages, one of the requirements says only 12 college hours are needed, and another page says 60 hours are needed, so thats the main reason I'm having trouble deciphering the original post

Comment

Yea I should have posted more, but I took what I thought would be important, the reason there are two #7's is because they are from two seperate pages on the website, Also another reason I am confused is because one their website, again on two different pages, one of the requirements says only 12 college hours are needed, and another page says 60 hours are needed, so thats the main reason I'm having trouble deciphering the original post
                I edited my post
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

After reading the following page on their website------ you need to read the AND OR statements

http://tx-rowlett.civicplus.com/index.aspx?nid=186

1. Minimum 21 years of age. No maximum age cutoff.

2. 20/200 vision correctable to 20/20.

3. Valid Texas Drivers license.

4. U.S. Citizenship

NOTE THE WORD OR

5. High school diploma or
                  6. GED and at least one 12 hrs semester hours from a regionally accredited college or university with a “C” or average or better, or
                  7. TCLEOSE Certified or TCLEOSE certifiable (has taken and passed TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Exam), or a

8. Peace License from another State, or

9. Have 4 years active (not Reserve) military duty in any branch of the United States Armed Forces and an Honorable Discharge. If prior military must have received an Honorable Discharge.

10. No Felony or Class B Misdemeanors or higher convictions, and

11. Pass written examination with a score of 70% or higher, and

12. Pass all events on the physical agility test, and

13. Pass an extensive background investigation, and

14.Pass an Oral Interview Board and interview with the Chief, and

15. Pass a polygraph examination, and

16. Pass a psychological examination, and

17. Pass the City’s medical/physical examination and drug screening.
                  Okay, so I did see all of that when I read it, but again at the bottom it says they are a non-sponsoring agency, so that means should I get hired I'll pay my own way through the academy? Or am I totally misunderstanding that. Either way the Lt. should email back by tomorrow with a definitive answer, again thanks.

Comment

Okay, so I did see all of that when I read it, but again at the bottom it says they are a non-sponsoring agency, so that means should I get hired I'll pay my own way through the academy? Or am I totally misunderstanding that. Either way the Lt. should email back by tomorrow with a definitive answer, again thanks.
                    Good idea-----you have me confused

It does not say they are a non-sponsoring agency

it says
                    The Rowlett Police Department is not a sponsoring agency

There is a big difference................check your reading comprehension.

They will not sponsor you to an academy. They will send you to an academy if you are hired by them before you are certified.
                    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-27-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Good idea-----you have me confused

It does not say they are a non-sponsoring agency

it says
                      The Rowlett Police Department is not a sponsoring agency

There is a big difference................check your reading comprehension.

They will not sponsor you to an academy. They will send you to an academy if you are hired by them before you are certified.
                      Isn't sposoring and sending someone through the academy the same thing? Either way they would be paying an applicant to go, right. Whats considered sponsoring?

Comment

Take this for what it is worth. At all of the departments I have applied at you will not get so far as the initial written test without meeting the minimum requirements.

Comment

Isn't sposoring and sending someone through the academy the same thing? Either way they would be paying an applicant to go, right. Whats considered sponsoring?
                          NOpe

Sponsoring is letting me go to the academy at on my dime ---but having the department say I am an applicant. This person is NOT an employee of the department nor is he/she getting paid.

A department who hires a recruit then sends the person through the acadmey AND pays for the academy is sending someone thru the academy. The department is also paying the person a wage during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerTeacher View Post
                            Take this for what it is worth. At all of the departments I have applied at you will not get so far as the initial written test without meeting the minimum requirements.
                            I shoulda have a definitive answer by tomorrow.
                            Last edited by DWM811; 04-27-2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

NOpe

Sponsoring is letting me go to the academy at on my dime ---but having the department say I am an applicant. This person is NOT an employee of the department nor is he/she getting paid.

A department who hires a recruit then sends the person through the acadmey AND pays for the academy is sending someone thru the academy. The department is also paying the person a wage during that time.
                              Awesome, thanks for the answers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2616 users online. 127 members and 2489 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X