300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying out of state?

Kind of confusing, so I am going back home for the summer and I a want to apply at local PDs. The only problem is I go to school out of state. I am wondering that would at all hurt my chances of getting hired? The only thing that I'm thinking of is the fact I'm not currently living in the state, but I would be able to make any dates for testing and whatnot that I would need to make if I needed to drive back home for them.

Hope that makes sense, I'm also curious if it matters that I'm 21, have my AA, working towards my BA, and no military experience. I doubt this helps, but I have actually held a job with the same company for the past three years (if that shows any sort of commitment or whatever). I know that none of that hurts my chances, but not sure if I would at all stand out from the rest of the applicants... I guess I'm also wondering what I can do to stand out exactly, or is that just do well on my written, PT, and interviews.

Thanks for any information!

Don't see a problem provided you're willing to return and take a job if offered. Military experience: While often a plus, is not a requirement. A stable job history, and yours appears to be, is an asset.. Standing out: If the agency you apply for is Civil Service, you'll be entering a very impersonal hiring process. As a rule, the written exam is the first step. The written test is usually not especially difficult, and will measure such skills as Math, English, Reading comprehension, Reasoning ability. A passing grade of 70% is the norm, but as a practical matter you'll need to score in the mid to high nineties to be competitive. PT. Start working on endurance and upper body strength. Interview skills include the ability to "sell" yourself in a pleasant, effective manner.

Comment

Where you currently live doesn't matter in most cases.

SOME departments do actually require that you be a citizen of their area before you apply (NY City for one)

The problem is---the process is long, involved, and has many stages where you are required to be present. That means travel.

A lot of departments offer compressed dates where you can complete 2 or more of the stages in a couple days.......which cuts down on that travel for out of staters.

The rest was covered by PhilipCal
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Iowa- I thought I read where a residency requirement, like you mention, has been ruled illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
          Iowa- I thought I read where a residency requirement, like you mention, has been ruled illegal.
          Could be but every time I read some thread about NY City hiring they say you have to be a resident.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            Could be but every time I read some thread about NY City hiring they say you have to be a resident.
            I took their test last summer and drove both ways from Ohio, they never had a problem with it
            "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
            I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
              I took their test last summer and drove both ways from Ohio, they never had a problem with it
              ok.................guess heard wrong

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3511 users online. 226 members and 3285 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X