300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List number confusion

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could explain the way the eligible lists work. I just received my test score for my local county exam I took back in November. I got a 95%, and I am #120 on the eligible list. The way our hiring works around here, you have to take the county exam which is every three years, from that exam, your particular town/village will take your score and begin their process. I'm not sure if this is a common method or not.
    Does that list number of mine (120) mean I am number 120 for my town or for the entire county? My town is only canvassing town residents, so I am assuming that this number will be further broken down to a smaller number because they aren't dealing with the entire county? If it helps I am in Erie county, NY.
    Thanks!

It's going to be different everywhere.

But really, who cares? Whether you're 5th or 450th doesn't matter if they are only hiring the 1st. Where you "stand" on a number really doesn't matter unless you're number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinmud15 View Post
      Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could explain the way the eligible lists work. I just received my test score for my local county exam I took back in November. I got a 95%, and I am #120 on the eligible list. The way our hiring works around here, you have to take the county exam which is every three years, from that exam, your particular town/village will take your score and begin their process. I'm not sure if this is a common method or not.
      Does that list number of mine (120) mean I am number 120 for my town or for the entire county? My town is only canvassing town residents, so I am assuming that this number will be further broken down to a smaller number because they aren't dealing with the entire county? If it helps I am in Erie county, NY.
      Thanks!

From what I understand the NY rules are totally different from most of the rest of the states.

I would post this in the NY section of the forum...............................
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Your question is probably best addressed to the County which gave the test. Very generally, unless agencies within the county are on a hiring spree, 120 on the list does not place you too highly. This is especially true if the concerned agencies are only going to hire a limited number of people. Most Civil Service agencies employ the rule of three, which means that the agency head chooses from the three highest applicants on the published Eligibility List. If the Agency is hiring, say ten people, three groups of three, plus one will be selected to advance in the process.

Comment

I can answer this question.

The way the process/list works up here (Upstate NY) is that you are on the Erie County list and can be hired by any Agency within that County (as long as you are reachable under the "Rule of Three"), unless the Agency has it's own seperate hiring list (example: Monroe County has a Countywide list, but the Rochester Police Department conducts its own written test and thus generates its own list, thus you won't be hired by RPD off of the County list).

Once the list is generated, it is governed by the "Rule of Three". For info on this rule check this link: http://www.cs.state.ny.us/jobseeker/...orenotices.cfm

There is one additional aspect of the process which is called the "Home Rule" (this is what you are referring to). An Agency is allowed to request from the County a "Home Rule List". This list will only contain the names of persons who actually reside in that Agency's jurisdiction. The Agency must still follow the "Rule of Three" when hiring off of this smaller list.

Note that an Agency CAN call for a "Home Rule List", but is not REQUIRED to do so. It is the Agency's choice. You would have to check with the specific Agency to see if they are hiring from a "Home Rule List" or from the full list.

Unfortunately, at #120, and in this ****ty economy, your chances are not looking too good. It really comes down to how many applicants scored higher under the "Rule of Three".

My opinion would be that a "Home Rule List" is your only chance, and it really depends on how far up the list a "Home Rule" compilation kicks you up. Impossible to know without knowing how many above you are residents of that specific jurisdiction. The trouble here is that any Agency hiring from a "Home Rule" list is going to be a smaller Agency (Town or Village), and thus they won't be hiring a large number of people, and still may not be able to "reach" you on the list even if they specifically wanted you. It's possible you're reachable, but unlikely at #120.

If memory serves, I was #18 on the County list and my first civilian Agency specifically wanted me as I worked with them in clearing multiple burglaries when I was still an Army MP. They called for a "Home Rule List" and were just barely able to reach me.

Good luck to you, but in the current economy it's gonna be extremely difficult. Even if the list lasts for three years chances are your name will not come up before the next list is generated.

My advice is to take EVERY test you are elligible for in NYS, and also begin looking outside NYS. It's a very hard time to get hired right now.

-V
          Last edited by vincelli; 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6217 users online. 345 members and 5872 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X