300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination. How can it affect me?

I was terminated about a year ago from an employee. So you guys have a brief idea... I worked at a call center answering call concerning phone replacements. People that lost their phone and or had it stolen or damaged that had purchased insurance with the phone company called to replace it.

They were many times in which we will have so many calls that we wouldn’t stop back to back for around 4-5 hours; sometimes the full 8 hour shift. Anyways, I was aware that they monitored our calls for quality purpose and we had to follow a routine guideline which required for us to follow a script whistle talking to the customer. As frustration kicks in, due to an 6 hour shift of you constantly hearing people scream at you and you cant really talk them down or nothing since you have to follow your script.. many within the company do the following…

-They will set customer on a long hold
    -They will hang up the call and say on after-call (making it seem as if they where still working with the customers account)
    -Transfer customers to another department

And many others. These are just common ones used amongst everyone.

I knew that I could get written up for what I was doing (transferring to other departments) but I never saw it as something critical that I would not even get a warning for. I say this because (not to brag) I was one of the best employees in time management and in quality.

One day, one of the quality control supervisors comes up to me, takes me to human resources and they terminate me because I transferred a customer to an incorrect department without offering my full help. He said the company has 100% intolerance for this, and it is automatic termination. It was around the 5th or 6th time I had ever done it. And the worst part of all, that was the call they were listening to.

Anyways, I would like to know…

How much can this actually affect me?

I have actually learned, and this has been very useful to me for future knowledge, no matter how slim are the chances of you doing something bad you have a great chance of being cought. So don’t do it.

P.S. Still working at that company are 3 friends of mine, which we see each other on a weekend basis to hang around.. And they do this on a daily manner and are yet to be caught. Like I said. This is something ALL without exceptions.. ALL employees do. Is just that some get caught and some don’t. They hang up.. transfer.. curse back at the customer.. you name it. Yet I was more unfortunate.

Thank you for your feed back in advance.

Johnny

Originally posted by SanJohnnySan View Post
    I was terminated about a year ago from an employee. So you guys have a brief idea... I worked at a call center answering call concerning phone replacements. People that lost their phone and or had it stolen or damaged that had purchased insurance with the phone company called to replace it.

They were many times in which we will have so many calls that we wouldn’t stop back to back for around 4-5 hours; sometimes the full 8 hour shift. Anyways, I was aware that they monitored our calls for quality purpose and we had to follow a routine guideline which required for us to follow a script whistle talking to the customer. As frustration kicks in, due to an 6 hour shift of you constantly hearing people scream at you and you cant really talk them down or nothing since you have to follow your script.. many within the company do the following…

-They will set customer on a long hold
    -They will hang up the call and say on after-call (making it seem as if they where still working with the customers account)
    -Transfer customers to another department

And many others. These are just common ones used amongst everyone.

I knew that I could get written up for what I was doing (transferring to other departments) but I never saw it as something critical that I would not even get a warning for. I say this because (not to brag) I was one of the best employees in time management and in quality.

One day, one of the quality control supervisors comes up to me, takes me to human resources and they terminate me because I transferred a customer to an incorrect department without offering my full help. He said the company has 100% intolerance for this, and it is automatic termination. It was around the 5th or 6th time I had ever done it. And the worst part of all, that was the call they were listening to.

Anyways, I would like to know…

How much can this actually affect me?

I have actually learned, and this has been very useful to me for future knowledge, no matter how slim are the chances of you doing something bad you have a great chance of being cought. So don’t do it.

P.S. Still working at that company are 3 friends of mine, which we see each other on a weekend basis to hang around.. And they do this on a daily manner and are yet to be caught. Like I said. This is something ALL without exceptions.. ALL employees do. Is just that some get caught and some don’t. They hang up.. transfer.. curse back at the customer.. you name it. Yet I was more unfortunate.

Thank you for your feed back in advance.

Johnny
    So you're upset because you got caught. You do wrong because everybody else does wrong. You had a simple job and couldn't do it right. You couldn't handle people "yelling" at you for a few hours. You make excuses for everything. You are friends with people who also don't do their job even though it is a simple one.

Holy >>>> you got to be kidding me. How about not doing the wrong thing because it isn't the right thing to do regardless of ever being caught.

I would never hire you.

Comment

I do understand. Well, I did it. I commited the mistake of doing it thinking nothing bad was going to happen. I never even thought termination will be done for something so small. Yes the job is simple, and its not the fact of being friends with people that still do the job wrong, what I am trying to let you all understand is that is just a gamble. They have continued doing it, yet they are there.. I did it a few times and got caught. This still does not justify what I did. But I now learned to never do that. I believe we all go through learning experiences.. anyways thanks for your feed back. Dont know if this explains it better.

Comment

The "I know it's wrong, but everybody does it" thing doesn't fly, especially when you are in a position of trust with minimal supervision.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          The "I know it's wrong, but everybody does it" thing doesn't fly, especially when you are in a position of trust with minimal supervision.
          This is true. Now. What does this mean, I did wrong. I know i did it. I wont do it again since I have learned from a prior experience.

This meaning... I will never have a chance as an LEO. Because of what I did.. So. That said. I should just drop the career I am trying to achieve?(Not doing this, I just want your advice)

What would you do? What can I do? Should I do? Put yourself in a similar situation. It is not something I have continusly done, So I wouldnt see it as an issue. But yet again. It is.

Comment

You were terminated.

That is a bad mark against your employment history and will be evaluated by the investigator/ administrators of the departments you apply to.

ANY type of minimization of the circumstances leading up to the termination will trigger the above people to dig a bit deeper.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              You were terminated.

That is a bad mark against your employment history and will be evaluated by the investigator/ administrators of the departments you apply to.

ANY type of minimization of the circumstances leading up to the termination will trigger the above people to dig a bit deeper.
              Thank you IOWA. What do you recommend me to do? What can I do?

Comment

Explain without emotion or excuses that you were terminated by your previous employer.

Answer any questions that you are asked without minimizing the fact you failed to follow proper procedures/directives.

The responses from prospective employers to your termination are out of your control. Only the way you present your situation is under your control. You will be judged on the way you articulate your situation

Move on to the next application if you are not selected..........................
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Explain without emotion or excuses that you were terminated by your previous employer.

Answer any questions that you are asked without minimizing the fact you failed to follow proper procedures/directives.

The responses from prospective employers to your termination are out of your control. Only the way you present your situation is under your control. You will be judged on the way you articulate your situation

Move on to the next application if you are not selected..........................
                  Thank you once again Iowa. Another thing, I am not sure if it can be also implemented. I am currently 19yrs old. Turning 20 this year. That was my 1st job. And like I said.. I was rated one of the best there.. above people that had years on the job. I mean I am sure whoever is interviewing me wont care.. but so you know my situation..

Thanks!

Comment

You're right. They won't care. You were young and did something stupid. Learn from it and move on. Don't minimize your actions and demonstrate that you have consistently made good choices since then.

Comment

Thank you Joe. What any other recommendations can you offer? Into how can I approach My issue. I know Iowa Practically covered it. but I really will appreciate all the help possible.. to present this issue.. the best suitable way. I still regret this day after day.. but there isnt much I can do. But move on!

Comment

Can go either way, as my colleague Iowa stated be up front and honest, where this presents an issue is how you handle yourself with others, how you act with lack of supervision, are you able to follow the rules? In this field you will deal with people that annoy you and test every nerve, no one is going to be there to watch your every move. You are going to deal with this every day, some days you will have so many calls in queue your head will spin. What you did shows lack of good judgment in just such incidents. So the question will then be will you do what is right or handle the situation like you did at your previous job. Now you are young, and at 19 still have some years to put behind you before you can start applying. Get your next job and do the right thing, show that this was youthful indiscretion and move on, best of luck.
                        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I was smoking pot and got busted at a 4/20 event but everyone else there was doing it too and they didn't get busted. They are still smoking it now!!!!

Get why your explanation may fall on deaf ears?

Comment

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking. At your age I would consider the military. Being prior-service(as many LEO are), will help you get past this "mistake."

Comment

Big. I see where you are comming from. But like I said. I am not trying to justify what I did. I did it. Its been done. I want advice on how to resolve this issue. Navy, I was thinking of that. My dad is old. I dont want to part away from him. So that is definetly a no. I want to stay close to my family.. for now that is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4902 users online. 294 members and 4608 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X