300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Polygraph Question

Have a question on a previous polygraph, and if this could keep me from employment. Over a year ago I had completed all hiring phases for the Border Patrol; a couple months after I completed all phases the Department of Homeland Security decided to polygraph every applicant, regardless if they had completed all hiring phases.

Long story short, I was selected and failed the polygraph. I was accused of trying to cheat the polygraph, at the time I thought this was impossible to do, I thought only spies or professionals were able to pull something like this off. I pleated with the examiner that I had done no such thing, I asked to to explain, he denied. I then asked him if he can hook me back up and asked me if I attempted any cheat tatic, of course he said no.

After this, I researched the polygraph and was surprised to learn about the many deficiencies with the polygraph. My question is, will this prevent me from being hired anywhere else?

No, it will not prevent you from getting hired somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      No, it will not prevent you from getting hired somewhere else.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by rjz274 View Post
        Have a question on a previous polygraph, and if this could keep me from employment..
        Long story short, I was selected and failed the polygraph. I was accused of trying to cheat the polygraph, at the time I thought this was impossible to do, I thought only spies or professionals were able to pull something like this off. I pleated with the examiner that I had done no such thing, I asked to to explain, he denied. I then asked him if he can hook me back up and asked me if I attempted any cheat tatic, of course he said no.
        Normally most , and I repeat MOST departments will allow a second polygraph. Not at the same time as the first, but at a later date.
        Obviously the DHS chose not to give you a second chance. Their ballgame ----their rules. .

By the way you pleaded with him not pleated.

After this, I researched the polygraph and was surprised to learn about the many deficiencies with the polygraph. My question is, will this prevent me from being hired anywhere else?
        It really doesn’t matter how much research you have done, or how many “deficiencies” people think there are in a polygraph examination………………………….they are a fact of life in Law Enforcement hiring procedures in a lot of areas. The examination is only as good as the data input into the machine and the experience / methods of the examiner.

If you have read ANY of the previous threads on polygraphs on this forum (and I highly doubt you have due to your recent joining the forum) you would know that a person can fail the poly one day, and pass it the next. Even using the same examiner.

The polygraph machine can't tell if you are lying more than the soda machine in the hallway can. The examiner makes the decision as to if they feel you have been deceptive based on the data inputted to the machine.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Many years ago, New York Yankees manager Casey Stengel said "Ya win a few, ya lose of few, some get called on account of rain". Same thing applies to Polygraph Exams. I've said this many times, but a properly administered Polygraph exam should contain no surprises. The Examiner will go over all the questions he/she intends to ask you. It's at this time that you explain any replies which might cause a reaction from the instrument. Quite often an agency will afford a second opportunity for an applicant to take the exam. There is no requirement however, that they do this. Keep this in mind as you continue to apply. Many, many, applicants will fail a Polygraph one day, and pass one the next. Happens all the time.

Comment

I am aware of people being hired even though they failed a poly for another department, the reason why I asked is due to being accused for attempting to cheat a poly. I know this will cause some skepticism on my integrity, which is something that really bothers me. Can I ask the examiner to ask me if I attempted to cheat the poly in order to erase that skepticism?

Comment

I Can I ask the examiner to ask me if I attempted to cheat the poly in order to erase that skepticism?
              Probably not.

Their game, their rules.....................You can certainly tell them of your concerns because of a previous test, but an investigator will run his/her investigation in their own manner.

A competent examiner will be using his/her experience and knowledge to make other observations as to your taking of the test. & yes......................some examiners will lie to you and attempt to get you to admit to something you didn't do.

Every examiner has a unique style in doing EMPLOYMENT examinations (as opposed to CRIMINAL examinations) and the style has probably been approved by the powers that be.................
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I am aware of people being hired even though they failed a poly for another department, the reason why I asked is due to being accused for attempting to cheat a poly. I know this will cause some skepticism on my integrity, which is something that really bothers me. Can I ask the examiner to ask me if I attempted to cheat the poly in order to erase that skepticism?
                This is not a fight you really want to wage. It's going to be a non-starter. The Examiner's remarks to you were simply a part of a routine employed by many Polygraph Examiners. As difficult as it may be to believe, there was nothing personal in his remarks. I can understand you taking offense, but try to realize it was simply a technique used by this particular examiner.

Comment

if you fail the poly in vermont for 1 agency you are done with all agencies, so no chance of hire in that state. i am im the process with several departments including the state police there.. the state police do the polygraph in VT for every agency and i have mine this coming saturday. i dont understand how they can expect you to not feel nervous about it when so much is riding on it.

Comment

whoops sorry for bringing back an old thread

Comment

Originally posted by dh3521 View Post
                      if you fail the poly in vermont for 1 agency you are done with all agencies, so no chance of hire in that state. i am im the process with several departments including the state police there.. the state police do the polygraph in VT for every agency and i have mine this coming saturday. i dont understand how they can expect you to not feel nervous about it when so much is riding on it.
                      The polygraph operator KNOWS the applicant will be nervous. They use techniques to put you at ease...........its part of their training.

The bottom line is the polygraph is a part of the process in many agencies. It is one of the hoops you have to jump through in order to get the job

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                        Is there an echo in here? If we can't get a Polygraph "sticky thread", then Iowa, can you please put your above post in your signature?
                        I think my F.O.C.U.S. is sufficient................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2650 users online. 144 members and 2506 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X