Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any US Marshal please answer!

Gentlemen,

I am currently serving in Afghanistan in the Intelligence field. I cannot go into great detail about my job for security reasons but I work hand in hand with the Rule of Law officers as well as the Law Enforcement Professionals here. I have a few tours overseas now and my time to get out of the Army is coming up fast. I'm an E-6 with 9 years service so I'm not a new kid. I read that the process for hire can take up to 10 months, which is about what I have left. I called my district's recruiting officer and I got a voicemail telling me that the Marshals are not hiring right now. Is there any way an experienced veteran like me can get enough recommendations to get hired? There are a hundred other jobs I could get with my experience and college but this is a life long dream of mine and it's what I want. I'm looking to go into the Western Louisiana District but I'm willing to bend some to achieve my goal. I max out my scores on my physical fitness test and have had nothing but high ratings during my career. I have a strong resume and all documented experiences if needed as well.
    I also have 30 semester hours in Operational Intelligence from a nationally accredited college in Arizona

Any information to help me around this road block would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SF Intel Sergeant; 04-19-2011, 04:31 AM. Reason: OPSEC

http://forums.officer.com/forums/for...ent-Job-Center

http://forums.officer.com/forums/for...C.-amp-Federal
    You will get a better chance of an answer in one of those forums
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by SF Intel Sergeant View Post
      I read that the process for hire can take up to 10 months, which is about what I have left. I called my district's recruiting officer and I got a voicemail telling me that the Marshals are not hiring right now. Is there any way an experienced veteran like me can get enough recommendations to get hired?
      A. They (USMS) are on a hiring freeze....along with all of DOJ.... It should open back up soon since a budget has passed.......

B. When USMS does open things (probably this summer once the new test is vetted out) you will have to go through all the steps like every other candidate. There are no exceptions.... There will be tons of Vets with the same quals you have...plus will even have college and perhaps some LEO experience as they wait things out to re-open......

C. Once USMS opens the annoucement to actually filling classes could take anywhere from 10-12 months or longer. That's the way it is..... Once again, there are no exceptions. Everyone is treated the same in the process.....

My suggestion is keep checking the USMS page and set up a account on USAJOBs so you can apply when it comes open....

Also, if you are operational, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you take out your name/rank/ODA.....especially if you are in the ME... OPSEC.

Good luck...
      Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I didn't even think about the hiring freeze at the moment. That makes sense now why no agencies are hiring. The Marshal.gov site isn't very thorough on the hiring process so it's good to get all of this information from someone with experience. I appreciate the reply! I have a USAJOBS account already so that's as easy as updating my resume and last night I got on the mailing list for openings so hopefully I hear back this summer.

Thanks again!

Scott

P.S. Good looking out on the OPSEC! I get so used to signing my signature block on emails on SIPR that I inadvertently did it on my NIPR.

Comment

Yours is an impressive resume, and I want to take nothing away from it. I too would suggest you take my colleague's advice seriously concerning name/rank/ODA. OK, let's look at you . I'm not totally familiar with the Federal hiring process, but I feel confident in telling you that you're going to have to compete through the entire USMS hiring process. You can be certain that many of your fellow applicants will enter the process with pluses similar to yours. With regard to the current hiring freeze, hopefully that will improve when both the President and Congress quit using the country for a fire hydrant, and agree on a budget. Good luck in your plans, and thanks for your service.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4057 users online. 220 members and 3837 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X