300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal References

I was wondering if it's a big deal that most of my personal references that I'd list would be old friends, and even just friends of my family that I don't live near to anymore, and some I haven't for some time. Does that matter? Does a department want current friends? What if you're new to a city and really don't have any regular friends?

I have some really good personal references to use (one is a current San Jose P.O.) , and I know they'd speak highly of me but I just haven't seen them in quite some time, nor do I really keep in close contact with them. Does this really matter?
    Last edited by Ignite; 04-18-2011, 12:56 AM.

Most agencies will give you specific instructions into the type person they will accept as references. Some will exclude family members. This can and does vary some, so follow whatever instructions are given. Former teachers, supervisors, co-workers are generally acceptable, even desired. Keep in mind that when we speak to the references you've provided, we'll also speak to some people who's name(s) you haven't provided.

Comment

^^^This^^^

Your BI uses personal references just to get a bit of history concerning your character. It is nice when we get a reference that wasn't "prepped" by the applicant to paint them as a saint.

Comment

Ahh, gotcha. Who would the BI talk to that an applicant wouldn't have referenced personally? I've always done pretty good by the people and employers of my past, so I'm not worried about it. Just kind of curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
          Ahh, gotcha. Who would the BI talk to that an applicant wouldn't have referenced personally? I've always done pretty good by the people and employers of my past, so I'm not worried about it. Just kind of curious.
          Anyone we possibly can.

Comment

When meeting with a reference, a BI often asks for the names of 5 people who knows the applicant. In other words we ask your friends for the names of more of your friends.

I hope you don't think that the investigator is only going to talk to the people you thought would give us a "stellar" report.

I often say I really want to talk to the doctor that delivered you------------just to ask him what your reaction to getting slapped on the bottom was.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

haha. Got it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4375 users online. 245 members and 4130 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X