Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Background Check

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Background Check

    Hi everyone.

    I am a resident of Toronto, Ontario. I am interested in applying for the Toronto Police Service next year and I have a question about the Police Background check. (TPS is on a hiring freeze right now, so I have no choice but to wait. In the mean time, Im using this time to build my references and resume)

    I know that the police background check looks through your criminal record, employment record, credit history, and school transcripts. But I was wondering about what else do they check? I understand that they give you a waiver to sign, but are you giving them an "All Access Pass" to your personal life? I dont mind if they check facebook or anything like that, because as far as that is concerned, its public information anyways. I am talking about cell phone calls, emails and other personal information.

    My friends and I have all discussed it, but we all hear different things regarding what they look at. We dont have anything to hide, and are willing to disclose anything. But I just dont want anything I said or posted on my phone or on the internet to come back and haunt me. Any information is appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Menyseko View Post
    Hi everyone.

    I am a resident of Toronto, Ontario. I am interested in applying for the Toronto Police Service next year and I have a question about the Police Background check. (TPS is on a hiring freeze right now, so I have no choice but to wait. In the mean time, Im using this time to build my references and resume)








    I know that the police background check looks through your criminal record, employment record, credit history, and school transcripts. But I was wondering about what else do they check? I understand that they give you a waiver to sign, but are you giving them an "All Access Pass" to your personal life? I dont mind if they check facebook or anything like that, because as far as that is concerned, its public information anyways. I am talking about cell phone calls, emails and other personal information.

    My friends and I have all discussed it, but we all hear different things regarding what they look at. We dont have anything to hide, and are willing to disclose anything. But I just dont want anything I said or posted on my phone or on the internet to come back and haunt me. Any information is appreciated.
    Pretty much an all access pass.

    The ideal background investigation would include talking to the doctor that delivered you-----------and find out your reaction to getting slapped on the bottom.

    While the above is a joke, it is not far from the truth. The department will be expending a fair amount of resources in your hiring process and your subsequent training and wants the best handle on your suitability for continued employment prior to that expenditure.

    Yes if you posted something stupid on the internet--------------it would probably be found and yes it very well could come back and haunt you.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply. The internet Im not worried about at all. Ive been smart about the pictures of me that have been posted since day one. As we all know, ANYTHING that gets posted on the internet is NEVER deleted :S Im talking about MSN conversations, emails or phone calls that could be taken out of context.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Menyseko View Post
        Im talking about MSN conversations, emails or .........that could be taken out of context.
        ^^^^^^^ that IS on the internet
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

        Comment


        • #5
          You pretty much give the agency Carte Blanche to investigate your background. A Background Investigation to be valid, must be thorough and comprehensive. Anything less is simply an inadequate check. I don't expect you to divulge the contents or subject matter of the calls, MSN conversations, or E-mails on this forum. They could very well be subject to investigative scrutiny, and depending upon the subject matter could cause you problems. Prior to actually applying, you should carefully study the Department's standards and causes for disqualification. If any of them apply to you, then you know you've got problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            lol True, but isnt that something that would have to be accessed in a database that is archived with Microsoft or Rogers Communications? But I understand what you mean. It has been recorded and technically "has a paper trail" to it. Im not too worried about it. Just wondering how far the police service would go into the personal life of an applicant.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Menyseko View Post
              lol True, but isnt that something that would have to be accessed in a database that is archived with Microsoft or Rogers Communications? But I understand what you mean. It has been recorded and technically "has a paper trail" to it. Im not too worried about it. Just wondering how far the police service would go into the personal life of an applicant.
              Probably not too far in that manner....................HOWEVER it is there, and if wanted we could find it with your release.

              Also if something else would raise a red flag the investigator might decide to dig a bit deeper than normal.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Menyseko View Post
                lol True, but isnt that something that would have to be accessed in a database that is archived with Microsoft or Rogers Communications? But I understand what you mean. It has been recorded and technically "has a paper trail" to it. Im not too worried about it. Just wondering how far the police service would go into the personal life of an applicant.
                Here it is once more. You're going to sign a waiver which will give the Background Investigator virtually unlimited access to ANYTHING which concerns you and your past. Your concern relative to this matter leads me to believe there may be some problems there. I won't look, but the Department will. Count on that. Your personal life? The Investigator could come up with things that you've either forgotten about, or would totally surprise you. O T H, if there's nothing there, there's nothing there. When all the smoke and the dust settles, YOU know that far better then we do.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The applicants, where I work, complete a separate release for every place I look. For instance, a credit report will require a release, SS will require a release and a check into the applicant's driving record will require another release. I've never looked at private emails nor have I asked to see an applicant's "sent" file on their email page. I have looked at Facebook accounts all the time. A good backgrounder will be asking those they make contact with about your character which will take them to correspondence and conversations. I would be concerned about a "blanket" release that would cover everything. I don't ask for a blanket release to cover all items. I, thinking about this further, would be concerned that if I looked at sent emails that I could potentially look at items that could get me into trouble such as medical related emails. Medical related questions can't be asked until a conditional offer has been extended to the applicant.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sig------

                    When I was talking about blanket I really meant in general. We COULD ask for releases to cover just about anything-----especially if something peaked our interest.

                    Just his asking the way he is is making me wonder.................

                    By the way if the employee gave you access ------------just like a search warrant you don't have to ignore what you find while looking for something else!!!!!!!!!!
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If there is medical information in a file, I've seen it in personnel files for some crazy reason, you have to avoid it like the plague.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would like to know how the police investigator is able to find out about military history if the applicant never states that he served. If the police investigator can find out, through what agency do the find out? I would also like to know if the police request an earnings statement directly from the social security administration, or if you have to provide it, or do they do both?

                        I appreciate answers from those who are very sure of what they are talking about and not assumptions. Thank you

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pg4097 View Post
                          I would like to know how the police investigator is able to find out about military history if the applicant never states that he served. If the police investigator can find out, through what agency do the find out? I would also like to know if the police request an earnings statement directly from the social security administration, or if you have to provide it, or do they do both?

                          I appreciate answers from those who are very sure of what they are talking about and not assumptions. Thank you
                          You will most likely be asked for a Social Security wage statement or you will be asked to sign a release.

                          One or the other ----or both.



                          You also don't get to dictate who answers nor do you get to dictate how the question is answered.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I ask for a SS signed release and the applicant must provide it or can/will be washed out.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pg4097 View Post
                              I would like to know how the police investigator is able to find out about military history if the applicant never states that he served. If the police investigator can find out, through what agency do the find out? I would also like to know if the police request an earnings statement directly from the social security administration, or if you have to provide it, or do they do both?

                              I appreciate answers from those who are very sure of what they are talking about and not assumptions. Thank you
                              I'd like to know where you get the idea you can dictate replies to your questions. Let me "splain" something to you. The Officers on this forum, both active duty and retired, have volumes of experience. That often includes extensive experience in conducting Background Investigations. While it's true, we speak for no specific agency, we are able to offer some pretty real world, real time advice. It's quite accurate and offered in good faith. You will receive that type of reply. Please have the good grace, the common courtesy, the simple good sense to accept those facts.Arrogance is extremely easy to detect, and it can act to the detriment of an otherwise viable candidate. Wanna get bounced from an Oral Board? Simply let that board even suspect arrogance, and you'll see the door. O T H, self confidence is an asset. Some candidates with a pronounced degree of arrogance mistake that for self confidence. You seem likely to make that error. Don't.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5093 users online. 273 members and 4820 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X