300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances

I would love to hear your honest opinion on my chances of being hired.
    My background consists of;

25 yr old WT Male
    70 College Credits and in the process of finishing my B.A.
    Graduate the Academy in 2 weeks
    6 yrs employment at a school where I was a Substitute Teacher, Athletic Coach, Tutor
    Given Final Offer of approval by the only department I ever tested for, but stuck in Freeze for 1 year so I decided to put myself through the academy.
    4 other Hospitality/Customer service jobs while going to school full time.
    Clean Background

Cons;
    1 termination from a hospitality job in 2010 for unauthorized use of hotel property (I used a vacant room to use the restroom)
    1 speeding ticket in 2010/ Pled Nolo Contendere, no points or driving school as per 1st ticket.
    Late on 3 credit card payments in 5 years. All of these late payments were because I was in the academy with no income and I was aware I was making this sacrifice. Credit card was payed off with my tax return and now I have no debt except college loans.

The recent speeding ticket will hurt your chances. Aside from that everything looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by mattty19 View Post

25 yr old WT Male
      70 College Credits and in the process of finishing my B.A.
      Graduate the Academy in 2 weeks
      6 yrs employment at a school where I was a Substitute Teacher, Athletic Coach, Tutor
      Given Final Offer of approval by the only department I ever tested for, but stuck in Freeze for 1 year so I decided to put myself through the academy.
      4 other Hospitality/Customer service jobs while going to school full time.
      Clean Background

Cons;
      1 termination from a hospitality job in 2010 for unauthorized use of hotel property (I used a vacant room to use the restroom)
      1 speeding ticket in 2010/ Pled Nolo Contendere, no points or driving school as per 1st ticket.
      Late on 3 credit card payments in 5 years. All of these late payments were because I was in the academy with no income and I was aware I was making this sacrifice. Credit card was payed off with my tax return and now I have no debt except college loans.
      Okay, I'll take your word for Con#1....Geez, I wouldn't want to work there either.
      The speeding ticket is probably going to be a little too recent. Time will take of it. provided there are no repeats.
      Debt. Keep your payments current and your debt serviced. Should be no problem.

Comment

I actually have some problems with not paying your bills while attending a police academy.

You should have had your bills paid prior..............you were not making a sacrifice----you were defrauding your credit card issuer.

I see a possible integrity problem-------------not fatal but it brings your problem solving skills into question.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not being critical of your answer Iowa because I asked for your honest opinion, but if somebody has no job and is paying close to 7 grand out of pocket (which was my total estate at the time) to pursue a career in LE, in an age where the whole nation has credit issues, you question my integrity? Im just asking how you make that leap?

Comment

Cons;
            I don't buy your termination story. There is more to it.

Ticket is very recent, but if it's your ONLY one...I'd probably forgive it.

Failure to pay your bills on time is not cool. Don't make excuses for it, don't let it happen again.

Comment

You made a choice, and it may have an impact on your hiring process.
              It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
              Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Michigan, I used a restroom in a vacant room. When housekeeping went to clear the room clean they noticed the bathroom wasnt left to the 4 diamond standards the hotel policy dictated. They questioned me after seeing my key being used on the lock and I was forthcoming and they let me go. Stupid mistake on my part and I take complete responsibility.
                Question on Bills? When they ask why I had a couple recent late payments do I explain my situation as to I was in the Academy with no income, but paid off everything completely with my tax returns or just tell them that it wont happen again, because it wont.

Comment

Michigan, I used a restroom in a vacant room. When housekeeping went to clear the room clean they noticed the bathroom wasnt left to the 4 diamond standards the hotel policy dictated. They questioned me after seeing my key being used on the lock and I was forthcoming and they let me go. Stupid mistake on my part and I take complete responsibility.
                  Question on Bills? When they ask why I had a couple recent late payments do I explain my situation as to I was in the Academy with no income, but paid off everything completely with my tax returns or just tell them that it wont happen again, because it wont.
                  What did you do poop on the toilet seat?

Comment

Haha, No. Im assuming they knew I used it because I left a towel(to dry my hands) not folded in the funky duck figure they folded all of their towels in and when they questioned the housekeeper if she did her job she did. Im bothered by this termination alot because I wanted the cleanest background possible, but it is what it is.

Comment

Not being critical of your answer Iowa because I asked for your honest opinion, but if somebody has no job and is paying close to 7 grand out of pocket (which was my total estate at the time) to pursue a career in LE, in an age where the whole nation has credit issues, you question my integrity? Im just asking how you make that leap?
                      Matty, as a real life, real time issue, my colleague has raised a valid point. It's also a point a Background Investigator will probably raise with you, as will an Oral Board. Take the defensive attitude which you have, and you'll run a good chance of not being selected. Unless a person has spent the last ten years living on the Moon, he knows the economy is in the toilet.He also knows it's likely to remain there for several more years. It has negatively impacted many, many lives. Arguably, the choice you made, while not necessarily illegal, was questionable. In the meantime, continue to work on keeping your debts current. Not only is it the proper thing to do, but it will certainly help you as you enter a process. We all make mistakes, and we all own the mistakes we've made.

Comment

PhillipCal,
                        Thank you for your assessment. I know it sounded very defensive, but Im mature enough to realize that taking ownership of my past is something departments favor. I just wasnt sure how my integrity becomes questioned because of some late payments. I do appreciate all the answers I have gotten thus far gentleman.

Comment

I made that leap because you did not pay your bills on time.

You did this willfully. You did this while shelling out $7000 to attend a police academy attempting to make yourself a better candidate for a job that stresses integrity above almost all other traits.

You made a decision to defraud your creditors-----------even if it was only temporarily.

I have problems with that decision.

The better decision would have been to payoff your debts then save enough money to attend your school.

I never said it was a fatal problem, I just stated that it raised questions.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

All in all you'll be ok with what you've disclosed here.

Comment

Iowa,
                              Thank you for the clarification, I understand the issue you present and it makes total sense. I thought of going the route you presented (paying bills off then going to the academy), but when I was presented with the way the economy is and not knowing when I would have a chance to join the academy full time again, I made my choice. I never thought I was defrauding anybody because I knew I would pay them come tax time, but technically your right and it sounds much worse then what my intentions were. Thank you for your time.
                              Last edited by mattty19; 04-14-2011, 07:45 PM. Reason: Wording

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2649 users online. 146 members and 2503 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X