Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for Jobs

Hello all,

I had a quick question regarding the application process (my situation specifically) and I couldn't find similar questions when trying to search.

I've got another year of college left (graduate in May 2012). I've wanted to work in Law Enforcement my whole life and cannot wait to graduate and get out in the field (assuming someone hires me!).

That being said, one of the departments I'm interested in working for has opened up positions and the all applications must be in by June 10, 2011. I've done two ridealongs with this department and the most recent one I did I was informed that the department was going to hire once this year and start hiring twice per year beginning in 2012. My question is: should I apply now and go through the process knowing that I would still have to finish two more semesters of school (which would interfere with the academy, causing me to turn down a job offer if that happens) or should I just wait until next year when they open up hiring again and I'm done with/finishing up the last few weeks of school?

My first instinct is to just wait, but I also thought that it might not hurt to go through the process once and get my name out. I don't want to waste anybody's time either.

#1. Why would you apply for a position when you KNEW you would have to turn it down if offered?
    Going in to a competitive application process knowing that you are wasting both your time and the time of the department (should you be selected) is really foolish if that is your plan. If I, as an administrator, found out that was your plan from the outset of the process, I would pretty much guarantee you that you would never work at my department as long as I had any influence in hiring decision.

#2. Why would you have to turn it down?

In today's economy and especially in the LE job market should ANYONE be offered a job that they took the time to apply for------they should take it. Degrees can be completed at a later time & many departments bend over backwards to assist employees in obtaining them.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Bottom line-----------given the facts you wrote-----------don't bother applying until you are ready to go to work.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^^^+1. Waste the departments time and resources now and they won't be too happy to give you a second look when you do graduate.

Comment

I'm assuming that you meet the Department's current hiring standards, including education. The decision to apply is yours alone to make. Should you enter the hiring process and be selected, you'd be foolish not to take the job. Once you clear the Academy and FTO, it should be possible to complete your degree. Any course on which you decide will entail a certain degree of sacrifice and there will be some inconvenience. The Academy will require your total dedication and commitment to the Academic and P/T required of you. I feel your decision should also be influenced by the state of the economy. While the President and members of his "team" will tell you the economy is improving, the fact is, it's still in the crapper, and likely to remain there for some time. States, cities, counties, none of whom can print their own money,are still laying off personnel, imposing hiring freezes, and cutting back on hours. So, if you get a shot at going to work, I'd urge you to take it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          #1. Why would you apply for a position when you KNEW you would have to turn it down if offered?
          Going in to a competitive application process knowing that you are wasting both your time and the time of the department (should you be selected) is really foolish if that is your plan. If I, as an administrator, found out that was your plan from the outset of the process, I would pretty much guarantee you that you would never work at my department as long as I had any influence in hiring decision.

In today's economy and especially in the LE job market should ANYONE be offered a job that they took the time to apply for------they should take it. Degrees can be completed at a later time & many departments bend over backwards to assist employees in obtaining them.

Bottom line-----------given the facts you wrote-----------don't bother applying until you are ready to go to work.
          Thanks, I hadn't thought too much about finishing school later on. My main concern was that with today's job market and everything I've read on here about how hard it is to get a job in this profession is that I wouldn't get a job right away and have to wait a year or two or three before being hired on. I figured if this year was a year that it didn't happen I'd still have stuff to do (finishing up school as opposed to finding a temp job or something).

EDIT: To answer the other questions, yes I meet all the requirements for hire for this department. And I wouldn't want to turn down a job offer, I just hadn't thought through pushing school back until after the academy and field training.
          Last edited by thgrtescape12; 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

100% agree!

Comment

Don't apply until you're aready to accept the job. It is very expensive and time consuming for departments to hire. Don't waste the department's time, money and burn any bridges. Cool your jets and finish college. It is much easier to do it now rather than later. I have first hand experience here. With two kids, two jobs and not much time, working school in is difficult to say the least.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6640 users online. 355 members and 6285 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X