Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of getting hired at 21

thanks for the help. was hired on
    Last edited by mglass710; 11-11-2013, 01:20 AM.

A. Depending on the agency, a degree won't do it now days due to the economy and so many people apply..... You need other stuff to bring to the table..... Like good work habits, a clean background, good credit, and being in shape..... You have to ask yourself....what do you bring to the table...? A lot of guys/gals are getting out of the military that not only have college but good work habits from being in the military and don't have any drug usage......

B. Dope maybe an issue..... Depending on how much you smoked in total.... You've got some time btwn usage and where you are at now but you may need more time.....

C. My advice is to get with the agencies you are interested in and talk to a recruiter and see what they say. Be honest with them about drug usage as it will come up in the background and the poly....

D. Don't limit yourself to one agency....if you do that you are doomed for failure.....

E. If you get dropped by an agency during the hiring process, try to find out why...and better yourself if need be and drive on..... I know plenty of folks (myself included) that applied for 6-7 agencies or more before we finally got hired on.....

Good luck....

Comment

Hmmm, the arrest for Underage Drinking may be a little too recent. Most departments will be concerned with the TOTAL number of times you smoked pot. If that total is say, 10-15 times, you're probably pushing the edge of the tolerance envelope for most agencies.At some point in your hiring process you'll be asked if you've committed a crime/violation for which you were neither arrested or charged. The reply to this question coupled with a Polygraph Exam could cause you some problems if your total use of Marijuana/other drugs is in the number of times I noted. While it's fine to be confident concerning your background, don't be dismissive of the process. Based on the information you provided, I don't see any permanent "killers". It is possible that you could be hired at twenty years of age. What you should keep in mind is that due to the still pretty crummy economy, there is a glut of extremely high quality applicants in the LE market. This often includes Officers laid off due to the still lousy economic picture. The non-Officer applicants quite often don't bring your issues, minor as they seemingly are, to the table. At this point you'll need to score highly on the Civil Service exam. Highly enough to move into the next phase of testing. In replying to you, I have attempted to answer your question(s) honestly. All too often posters are offended or angered when we don't tell them what they seem to want to hear. Hopefully, you aren't one of those individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by mglass710 View Post
        Underage drinking charge when I was 18. The last time I smoked pot was when I was 17 years old.
        Recently I applied for a LE job and was given dates to take a civil service exam and a fitness test(which Rosie O'Donnell could pass). --------- It just seems that you don't see many 21/22 year old cops on patrol. I was wondering what you guys think the chances are of actually getting hired at age 21/22 as a police officer. The reason I even applied before graduating is because my dad lost his job and cannot continue to sign for my student loans.
        21/22 yr olds get hired all the time……………………however that person is going to have to be the “gold standard” in order to get hired in the current job market.
        Remember the competition is steep.

You are (depending on the job and your area) competing with people who have absolutely NO skeletons in the closet, laid off certified officers, returning military , and graduates with advanced degrees.

Oh yea, that test that Rosie O’Donnell could pass actually weeds out an average of 20% of all candidates. The Civil Service written exam weeds out about the same or more…………………………

. I am not too worried about my background because everything happened a good while back. I was more concerned with my age.
        I would be a bit more worried about your past than I would your age.
        I have posted the minimum hiring qualificaiotns for the Iowa Department of Public Safety. While these guidelines are for this organization ONLY------they are very representative of many large police/sheriff’s departments nationwide.
        http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pr...ications.shtml
        GOOD MORAL CHARACTER:

An applicant must be of good moral character, which means that he or she can be trusted and is considered by those who know him/her to be a person of good reputation and good standing in the community.

When conduct is of a nature, that, if known, would tend to discredit the applicant as a peace officer, the applicant will not be employed.

The character of a person is determined by past behavior. Many factors are relevant in this assessment. The Department seeks applicants whose histories show good judgment, maturity, a sense of responsibility, and the respect of others. Several factors will be considered:

1. Conviction or commission of a felony (as defined by Iowa law) will disqualify an applicant.
        2. Conviction or commission of an aggravated misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa law), less than 5 years ago will disqualify an applicant. Conviction or commission of an aggravated misdemeanor more than 5 years ago will be evaluated.
        3. Conviction or commission of a serious misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa law), less than 2 years ago will disqualify an applicant. Conviction or commission of a serious misdemeanor more than 2 years ago will be evaluated.
        4. Conviction of domestic assault, child abuse, or other conviction resulting from domestic or child abuse will disqualify an applicant.
        5. A consistent pattern of unexplained failures to meet debt obligations will be evaluated.
        6. An applicant who gives false or misleading information to the Department at any time during the application process may be disqualified.
        7. History of excessive use of alcohol will be evaluated.
        8. Unlawful sale of ANY controlled substance will disqualify an applicant.
        9. An applicant who has used any illegal drug while employed in any law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or while employed in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust, will be found unsuitable for employment.
        10. An applicant who is discovered to have misrepresented his/her drug history in completing the application will be found unsuitable for employment.
        11. An applicant who has used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, within the last ten years or more than five times in one's life will be found unsuitable for employment.
        12. An applicant who has used marijuana within the past two years, or used marijuana more than a total of 15 times in one's life will be found unsuitable for employment.

To determine whether you meet the Department's drug policy, please answer the following questions:

1. Have you used marijuana at all within the last two years?
        2. Have you used marijuana more than a total of 15 times in your life?
        3. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
        4. Have you used an other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) more than a total of five times in your life?
        5. Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
        6. Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?

If you answered YES to any of the above six questions, you are immediately disqualified and should NOT apply for a peace officer position with the Department of Public Safety.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree with my colleagues about the recentness of the charges. I got hired around 21 years old a few years ago but the only bad thing in my record was a drinking ticket 5 years prior. Todays economy, like mentioned, has allowed for departments to be very picky with recruits and they only want the best, and the ones that won't leave them when the economy starts to improve. You must remember that all recruits are a substantial investment to a department and it sucks to watch your investment move to another agency just when you get them where you want.

Comment

I had the marijuana charges expunged after taking a class on drug abuse. Does that matter or not really?

Comment

I had the marijuana charges expunged after taking a class on drug abuse. Does that matter or not really?

First of all you WILL be asked if you have ever been charged /convicted of a crime
              . Your answer will be YES. You were charged and you were covicted. END OF STORY. It doesn't matter what happend to the conviction after that.

You will also be asked if you have ever committed any crimes that you were NOT charged or convicted of.
              My guess would be you would have to disclose the above due to your "expungement" if you really don't believe what I am going to tell you next.

There is no such thing as an expungment when talking about a Law Enforcement Background Investiagtion.
              BI's routinely access records that are "sealed", "expunged", "cancled" or whatever your lawyer promsied he/she would do with your criminal record.

Short answer...............................It would not matter.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

There is NO such thing as an "Expungement" where a police Background Investigation is concerned. Investigators routinely access records which have been sealed or expunged. In completing your PHS or similar document you need to list any and all arrests/citations. You fail to do so at your own risk.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4659 users online. 297 members and 4362 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X