300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member looking for some advice and guidance

Hello to all, hope everything is going well in everyones life.

A little bit about myself. I am a 21 year old Jr at Saint Louis University, my major is Communications and Minor in Criminal Justice. I have played sports since I could walk and I am currently the starting catcher at Saint Louis. Since I have played sports my entire life after my career is done I want to continue with that team atmosphere and sense of family. I want to pursue a career in Law Enforcement. I am originally from Connecticut but I am thinking of staying in Saint Louis because I have been told that it has a solid reputation when looking to further my career of becoming a DEA, Secret Service, ATF, US Marshall or ICE agent. My driving record is clean except for getting pulled over for being on a cell phone this past summer. My record is clean and drugs are not an issue.

Since I am currently a JR and I might have to come back for a 5th year since baseball put me behind in school I was wondering whether or not I should start applying now or later. Should I pursue other departments or stick with Saint Louis Police? What would it take to become a federal agent? Would I get hired out of college by a Federal Agency or do I have to serve a certain amount of time as a street cop?

I hope to hear back from you guys and would love the advice and help

Originally posted by Billiken6 View Post
    Hello to all, hope everything is going well in everyones life.

A little bit about myself. I am a 21 year old Jr at Saint Louis University, my major is Communications and Minor in Criminal Justice. I have played sports since I could walk and I am currently the starting catcher at Saint Louis. Since I have played sports my entire life after my career is done I want to continue with that team atmosphere and sense of family. I want to pursue a career in Law Enforcement. I am originally from Connecticut but I am thinking of staying in Saint Louis because I have been told that it has a solid reputation when looking to further my career of becoming a DEA, Secret Service, ATF, US Marshall or ICE agent. My driving record is clean except for getting pulled over for being on a cell phone this past summer. My record is clean and drugs are not an issue.

Since I am currently a JR and I might have to come back for a 5th year since baseball put me behind in school I was wondering whether or not I should start applying now or later.concentrate on finishing school first, that is your number 1 priority/ I would hate to see you get a job prior to finishing school and not go back. the LE hiring process is lengthy; however, there are times when you may be suprised by getting a job quick. Should I pursue other departments or stick with Saint Louis Police?Brach out when you're ready; don't put all your eggs in one basket or you may become frusterated and impatient. What would it take to become a federal agent?In todays economy it would depend on the agency. Federal hiring has slowed down and they have been flooded with quality applicants. A critical language, military, or LE background are about what it takes to get some consideration these days. Would I get hired out of college by a Federal Agency or do I have to serve a certain amount of time as a street cop?You can get hired out of college as an agent; however, since the ending of FCIP agencys are really looking for experience and military backgrounds these days. I don't recommend joining the military unless it is something you really want to do.

I hope to hear back from you guys and would love the advice and help

Comment

With respect to the Federal agencies you mentioned, visit their respective websites and get a handle on their requirements and current hiring picture. Do the same research with respect to local agencies in the St. Louis area. Don't limit yourself to only one agency. When you do your research, measure yourself objectively against the standards posted for the agency. If it looks like you'll be a fit, talk to a Recruiter and/or enter the testing process. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

I would concentrate on your education at this point.

Realize that EVERY Law Enforcement job opening today is a VERY competitive situation.

Your "bio" doesn't show any red flags, but then again it doesn't show any thing that REALLY stands out.

Like said above--------getting hired straight out of college by an 1811 agency happens all the time. But you really have to have a resume that stands out, and the credentials to back up that resume.

Read what mikeymedic wrote about critical skills..............LANGUAGE. Then there is volunteerism.......I understand that you are already busy with baseball and school, but volunteering with Big Brothers, American Red Cross (become an instructor) and other non-profits will enhance your resume.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by The Stig
          Start now - take a job if it comes, you can always finish school later.
          WHAT? WTF?

Do NOT give up your education. HOW in the **** someone could give you that advice is beyond me. You need to finish what you started...PLEASE...you never know when you might need it to fall back on.

*smh* quit college? Oy.

Edited to add: Stig is not a LEO and shouldn't be posting here much less giving advice regarding LE. I swear. Some people's children.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I would not limit myself to one agency. Since you are so far along in your studies, I suggest you finish your degree. Can you take some summer classes to avoid doing a fifth year? I can tell you (as can Smurfette and a host of others) that going to college while working full time is a bitch. Finish your degree. You have the rest of your life to work.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Look forward to updating you on my career

Comment

Stay in school. You are only young once and can work for the rest of your life later. I went back to grad school part time, worked two jobs at times, was married with 2 kids. It was a bastard. Stay in school. Biuld your resume.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4622 users online. 255 members and 4367 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X