Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving and Credit History May Possibly Kill/End My Chances of Being Hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving and Credit History May Possibly Kill/End My Chances of Being Hired?

Hello Guys/Gals,

This is my first post, thank you in advance. I expect the absolute truth and bluntness.

I'm currently starting the academy in a few months and I would like to know what my chances are of getting hired if I were to apply to as many of the 318 municipal agencies here in Florida as I could.

My dilemma is I have a bad driving record...about 3 speeding tickets in the past 7 years (2 within the last year), and a suspension due to not being able to pay my fine in time back in 2006.

One of the 2 tickets I received was because I was going about 5-10 miles over because I had an emergency and had to get my son to the hospital for an ear surgery, the next was (violation of traffic device) when I received a tip that someone I had a warrant out for was at a certain place and I had only a certain amount of time to get to where he was at, so I ended up speeding a bit.

My credit is also very bad because I've had a hard time (past several years) making enough money to pay my bills. I've lived paycheck to paycheck and have some repo's and a lot of unpaid bills.

Here's a little about me: I'm a 22 YO male (23 in June) married, 3 kids. I'm currently a licensed bail bondsman with a little over a year and a half experience with surveillance, pursuing, and successfully arresting people that like to miss court. Although I have the (limited) Power of Arrest I've always wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement and went this way after getting a bit tired of being a web developer for several years. Now I'm ready to move forward. I'm also a Notary Public, and am certified in 6 different areas of IT.

My Bail Bonds License will be terminated prior to inquiring employment as a LEO so that there will be absolutely no conflict of interest.

I've made a lot of mistakes when it comes to my driving history, however how will all of this really effect my chances for being employed period?
    Last edited by grindsmart; 04-09-2011, 10:48 PM.

Originally posted by grindsmart View Post
    Hello Guys/Gals,

This is my first post, thank you in advance. I expect the absolute truth and bluntness.

I'm currently starting the academy in a few months and I would like to know what my chances are of getting hired if I were to apply to as many of the 318 municipal agencies here in Florida as I could.

My dilemma is I have a bad driving record...about 3 speeding tickets in the past 7 years (2 within the last year), and a suspension due to not being able to pay my fine in time back in 2006.

One of the 2 tickets I received was because I was going about 5-10 miles over because I had an emergency and had to get my son to the hospital for an ear surgery, the next was (violation of traffic device) when I received a tip that someone I had a warrant out for was at a certain place and I had only a certain amount of time to get to where he was at, so I ended up speeding a bit.

My credit is also very bad because I've had a hard time (past several years) making enough money to pay my bills. I've lived paycheck to paycheck and have some repo's and a lot of unpaid bills.

Here's a little about me: I'm a 22 YO male (23 in June) married, 3 kids. I'm currently a licensed bail bondsman with a little over a year and a half experience with surveillance, pursuing, and successfully arresting people that like to miss court. Although I have the (limited) Power of Arrest I've always wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement and went this way after getting a bit tired of being a web developer for several years. Now I'm ready to move forward. I'm also a Notary Public, and am certified in 6 different areas of IT.

My Bail Bonds License will be terminated prior to inquiring employment as a LEO so that there will be absolutely no conflict of interest.

I've made a lot of mistakes when it comes to my driving history, however how will all of this really effect my chances for being employed period?
    Put in the applications and see. Most departments will probably pass you over since your poor credit history...actually your inability to keep up with your finances. If you were to declare bankruptcy most departments require that you wait at least 5 years first. Secondly your driving record is poor and you should at leaast put 3 years between your last ticket as it shows lack of care. I think that you have a slim to none chance of getting picked up anywhere in the next 5 years at least with what you posted. There is nothing that you can really do to mitigate your present circumstances.

Comment

Hello Guys/Gals,

Well. let's deal with the Motor Vehicle History. Right now, as in currently, it sucks. Two speeding citations within the past year. Far too recent. Your explanation for the one citation( son's surgery) isn't going to cut it. I can certainly understand any parent's desire to get a sick child to medical care, but whether or not the situation was an emergency in the true sense of the word is open to question. The second explanation (traffic device) is totally ludicrous...true or not. Credit.: Departments often view credit as a measure of an applicant's responsibility. The still crappy economy has created havoc with many family budgets.However, if your credit problems are the result of simply living above your means, and purchasing luxuries as opposed to necessities, you're going to have some problems. Truth be known, probably about half the American work force lives pay check to pay check, so that situation is not unique to you. In your current situation, I really believe I'd rethink my decision to enter what I assume is a self sponsor Academy. You're going to expend a considerable amount of time and money, with absolutely ZERO guarantee of employment at the end of the effort. As bluntly as I can make it, you're simply NOT hireable at this time. Alright, that's the bad news, at least as it occurs to me. The good news is that neither of your situations will be killers for all time, provided you can fix them. You're going to need at least three to five years of violation free driving to even begin to be a competitive applicant. Hopefully, in that same amount of time, you'll be able to put your financial house in order. Departments are primarily interested in how an applicant is handling debt at the time of his application. You have to be aware that the current economy, you know, the one Obama& Co says is getting better, still sucks. It will continue to suck for some time. That's important to you, because the lousy economy has resulted in certified Police Officers being laid off. This is in addition to really high caliber candidates, who though not experienced, don't bring your current issues to the table. It's against these people that you'll be competing, and truth be told, in your current situation, you stand little if any chance. Finally, I noted somewhat of a tendency on your part to minimize and make excuses for both the traffic record and financial problems. Both are situations for which you are responsible. Accept that responsibility , and correct the mistakes. You own them. B TW, your current occupation is one not too highly regarded by most LE agencies. You might consider getting back into the IT field.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        Well. let's deal with the Motor Vehicle History. Right now, as in currently, it sucks. Two speeding citations within the past year. Far too recent. Your explanation for the one citation( son's surgery) isn't going to cut it. I can certainly understand any parent's desire to get a sick child to medical care, but whether or not the situation was an emergency in the true sense of the word is open to question. The second explanation (traffic device) is totally ludicrous...true or not. Credit.: Departments often view credit as a measure of an applicant's responsibility. The still crappy economy has created havoc with many family budgets.However, if your credit problems are the result of simply living above your means, and purchasing luxuries as opposed to necessities, you're going to have some problems. Truth be known, probably about half the American work force lives pay check to pay check, so that situation is not unique to you. In your current situation, I really believe I'd rethink my decision to enter what I assume is a self sponsor Academy. You're going to expend a considerable amount of time and money, with absolutely ZERO guarantee of employment at the end of the effort. As bluntly as I can make it, you're simply NOT hireable at this time. Alright, that's the bad news, at least as it occurs to me. The good news is that neither of your situations will be killers for all time, provided you can fix them. You're going to need at least three to five years of violation free driving to even begin to be a competitive applicant. Hopefully, in that same amount of time, you'll be able to put your financial house in order. Departments are primarily interested in how an applicant is handling debt at the time of his application. You have to be aware that the current economy, you know, the one Obama& Co says is getting better, still sucks. It will continue to suck for some time. That's important to you, because the lousy economy has resulted in certified Police Officers being laid off. This is in addition to really high caliber candidates, who though not experienced, don't bring your current issues to the table. It's against these people that you'll be competing, and truth be told, in your current situation, you stand little if any chance. Finally, I noted somewhat of a tendency on your part to minimize and make excuses for both the traffic record and financial problems. Both are situations for which you are responsible. Accept that responsibility , and correct the mistakes. You own them. B TW, your current occupation is one not too highly regarded by most LE agencies. You might consider getting back into the IT field.
        +1. As always, Philipcal nailed it.

Comment

Put in 5-7 yrs ticket free & pay off your debts AND KEEP your credit clear during that time

Then give it a try.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

...the next was (violation of traffic device) when I received a tip that someone I had a warrant out for was at a certain place and I had only a certain amount of time to get to where he was at, so I ended up speeding a bit.
            I'm not a FL LEO, but if that state is like the others I've worked in there's probably no statutory allowance for bail bondsmen/bounty hunters to violate traffic laws in order for them to do their jobs. LE, fire fighters, and paramedics, yes, but not bounty hunters.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
              Put in the applications and see. Most departments will probably pass you over since your poor credit history...actually your inability to keep up with your finances. If you were to declare bankruptcy most departments require that you wait at least 5 years first. Secondly your driving record is poor and you should at leaast put 3 years between your last ticket as it shows lack of care. I think that you have a slim to none chance of getting picked up anywhere in the next 5 years at least with what you posted. There is nothing that you can really do to mitigate your present circumstances.
              Thank you Mikey, if declaring bankruptcy departments require that you wait 5 years before you apply?

I appreciate the reply PhillipCal and definitely see where you're coming from. My history both Motor Vehicle and Credit do hurt my chances pretty bad to almost zip chances at all. I do accept my reponsibities and although my above explanations may seem like excuses, they're just explanations which do not exempt me from my mistakes. Period.

My current occupation whether not regarded that high in the eyes of many LE agencies has shifted and changed immensly to where the lying, thieving, and typically stereotyped bail bondsman have been weeded out slowly but surely (at least in my state) due to Florida being the toughest state to become licensed as a bondsman and the many regulations that follow it. It may not be the most "ethical" position when looked at from the outside in, however, the ones who do their jobs right are proffesionals who strive to better our industry. Bail is also an INTEGRAL Part of the judicial system, without bondsman jails would become so filled with prisoners that they'll have to expand and expand jails at an alarming rate. I've come across some LEO's who have no regard for what we do, while I've come across many who respect all aspects of our profession. Apart from that please do not take it as I'm trying to start a flame war

When it comes down to it possibly experience might help me become employed before my LE certification expires (4 Years). I have undoubtedly more experience than the average recruit when it comes to actual arrests, defensive tactics, fire arms training, and "real-world" experience that can only be learned not taught.

Could this possibly help me in my efforts to gain employment? Possibly yes, or it could hurt my chances all together. But If I never try, then I can never say I've done all I can to not give up.

I live by this.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              Put in 5-7 yrs ticket free & pay off your debts AND KEEP your credit clear during that time Then give it a try.
              Thank you for your input Iowa

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
              I'm not a FL LEO, but if that state is like the others I've worked in there's probably no statutory allowance for bail bondsmen/bounty hunters to violate traffic laws in order for them to do their jobs. LE, fire fighters, and paramedics, yes, but not bounty hunters.
              Hello Kimble, in the state of Florida Bounty Hunters are STRICTLY NOT ALLOWED and ILLEGAL. You have to be a Licensed Bail Bondsman before you have the power to arrest your defendants. Without proper licensee requirements it would be considered kidnapping. Yes you're correct, we are not exempt of any traffic laws unless we are working alongside with LEO's (happens more than often) and we are riding behind or in front of a LEO vehicle on the way to apprehend someone.

This was my error, I was only hoping for a bit of professional courtesy from the officer. But it was my mistake to expect it, I did not deserve it and I was not sanctioned by FL law to receive such exception. I completely understand this.

Comment

If you desire to be a bondsman, be one. I'm not especially impressed with your arguments concerning how your "profession" has improved. Whenever I see a character like Duane Chapman aka "Dog the Bounty Hunter" it reminds me of some bondsmen with whom I dealt in the past. When all the smoke clears and the dust settles, agencies still don't hold your occupation in high esteem. Let's recall that YOU came to us for opinions/thoughts on your situation. You've received them. What you do as a result of them is your business. Professional Courtesy , when extended, is rendered to Law Enforcement Officers. Bondsmen are NOT LEO's While I cannot speak for Florida, I can assure you that in Alabama Police agencies do NOT work alongside Bail Bondsmen. By way of reminder, yours is a for profit business, not an allied component of any Law Enforcement Agency. Your bad guy doesn't show up for court, your boss eats that bond. What you do covers his butt. Any contributions to public safety are purely incidental. OK, you can argue with us all day, but that doesn't address the issues you've brought to our attention. You've been provided with some real time/real life advice on dealing with two situations, which currently will prevent your being hired as an LEO. My suggestion is that you deal with them.

Comment

Yes, in Colorado the average agency requires 5 years from the declaration of bankruptcy to application for any consideration. Florida may be different; but if not, I would still hold off on the academy since you only have 4 years to land a job after completion. I know that you have not filed for bankruptcy, however, with poor credit history the situation is similar enough to make the comparison. So, either clean up your credit and wait 5 years, or file bankruptcy and wait 5 years...it will have the same wait time either way.

Comment

If you desire to be a bondsman, be one. I'm not especially impressed with your arguments concerning how your "profession" has improved. Whenever I see a character like Duane Chapman aka "Dog the Bounty Hunter" it reminds me of some bondsmen with whom I dealt in the past. When all the smoke clears and the dust settles, agencies still don't hold your occupation in high esteem. Let's recall that YOU came to us for opinions/thoughts on your situation. You've received them. What you do as a result of them is your business. Professional Courtesy , when extended, is rendered to Law Enforcement Officers. Bondsmen are NOT LEO's While I cannot speak for Florida, I can assure you that in Alabama Police agencies do NOT work alongside Bail Bondsmen. By way of reminder, yours is a for profit business, not an allied component of any Law Enforcement Agency. Your bad guy doesn't show up for court, your boss eats that bond. What you do covers his butt. Any contributions to public safety are purely incidental. OK, you can argue with us all day, but that doesn't address the issues you've brought to our attention. You've been provided with some real time/real life advice on dealing with two situations, which currently will prevent your being hired as an LEO. My suggestion is that you deal with them.
                    Hello PilipCal, my apologies if I've said anything offensive in any matter to anyone as well as you. My goal was not to upset or offend anyone. My arguments concerning bail bonds are simply facts that in the State of Florida it is the most regulated state when it comes to bondsmen. I can only speak for my state and the profession in my state. LEO's are not obligated to work with us or help us, but it is "common" courtesy to do so and I haven't come across any LEO that has not extended a helping hand when I've needed it..however like I said I can only speak for my state.

When it comes to the subject of Duane Chapman "The Bounty Hunter" he's part of the reason WHY we have such a bad stigma. Apart from that I have many colleagues who've met him several times and know him and can all attest to knowing that for one his TV show is about 80% fake, and is scripted. I'm not to be compared to him and many take it offensive when they are (not saying you have compared me to him). In my opinion Florida being the hardest state to become licensed as a bondsmen gives the profession a bit of a different level of professionalism when compared to other states (no offense) where bail bonds is rarely regulated if any at all. That's all I was saying.

Do not classify all bondsmen as unprofessional and men/woman who fall short of intelligence because of Duane Chapman and his gang. It's just like someone assuming that all cops are bad because one or two make grave mistakes is all I'm trying to get at.

I agree with everything and for the most part all everyone has contributed and I thank all of you VERY much, as well as I'll take every opinion into consideration.

In FL professional courtesy from LEO's has and is extended to our profession as well for the most part (so you know). I wouldn't consider my contribution to public safety "purely incidental", when a person is bonded out the bond is underwritten (usually) to the point where we think the defendant is going to show up to court, now if the person decides not to go to court on a hefty charge such as Agg. Assault. W/ a Firearm/Deadly Weapon & Several other Firearm charges (for example) and they become a fugitive it is my responsibility to pursuit, apprehend and arrest them. If I don't I must "hope" for them to be caught by LEO's, which eventually happens probably after several months.

At that moment it is my sole duty whether it is for public safety or not to find them. But it just so happens I'm also doing a public service by getting him off the street. It is not incidental when someone CHOOSES to miss court.

Regardless I absolutely appreciate all of your comments, and by no means I must repeat my intentions was not to offend or upset anyone. I plan on becoming an LEO and leaving bail bonds behind me, and what you've guys/gals have commented on will definitely help me become more prepared as time passes.
                    Last edited by grindsmart; 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Rather than argue with me, and do it with what amounts to almost total BS, why not get on with correcting the REAL problems you brought to our attention. One more time. YOU work in a for profit industry. Your clientele , not drawn from the higher echelons of society for the most part, absconds, you scoop him up. That's covering your boss's ***. You fail, boss man eats the bond. No more, no less. Any enhancement to community safety as a result of your efforts is purely incidental. Now, you can dance around that all you want to, put any kind of spin on it you want to, but I've merely stated fact. You may be correct when you assert that it's not incidental when your "client" misses court. What is incidental, and will always remain incidental in your industry, is any benefit the community derives from your guy being back in the slammer. Accept that fact, deal with it, and you'll have gone a long way toward dealing with reality. Once more, get off your high horse, and get on with the idea of making yourself a more viable candidate. Sincere wishes for good luck in that effort.

Comment

Rather than argue with me, and do it with what amounts to almost total BS, why not get on with correcting the REAL problems you brought to our attention. One more time. YOU work in a for profit industry. Your clientele , not drawn from the higher echelons of society for the most part, absconds, you scoop him up. That's covering your boss's ***. You fail, boss man eats the bond. No more, no less. Any enhancement to community safety as a result of your efforts is purely incidental. Now, you can dance around that all you want to, put any kind of spin on it you want to, but I've merely stated fact. You may be correct when you assert that it's not incidental when your "client" misses court. What is incidental, and will always remain incidental in your industry, is any benefit the community derives from your guy being back in the slammer. Accept that fact, deal with it, and you'll have gone a long way toward dealing with reality. Once more, get off your high horse, and get on with the idea of making yourself a more viable candidate. Sincere wishes for good luck in that effort.
                        Thanks PhilipCal. I appreciate your response.

Comment

You're entirely welcome, and once more, the best of luck in your plans.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6608 users online. 346 members and 6262 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X