300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral psychiatric exam

I applied to the CDCR a few years back and was DQ'd after failing the oral psych.

After stewing a few years and mulling things over, my interest in the field has been reinvigorated.
    Apart from the horror stories regarding polygraphs, I always have concerns over the oral psych and how to successfully get through it.
    Also, is failing this particular portion in one department a deciding factor with, say getting on with a department outside-of-CA?

Agency-wise, I'm looking into either a rural sheriffs department, highway patrol/state police, or game agency in the four-corners region.

Originally posted by bentstrider View Post
    I applied to the CDCR a few years back and was DQ'd after failing the oral psych.

After stewing a few years and mulling things over, my interest in the field has been reinvigorated.
    Apart from the horror stories regarding polygraphs, I always have concerns over the oral psych and how to successfully get through it.
    Also, is failing this particular portion in one department a deciding factor with, say getting on with a department outside-of-CA?

Agency-wise, I'm looking into either a rural sheriffs department, highway patrol/state police, or game agency in the four-corners region.
    Psych. exams are usually very subjective unless there is a significant (diagnosed) mental illness in your past. Did you get any feedback as to why you failed? No, it is not necessarily a factor in getting on with other depts.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

You can fail a test one day and pass it the next with the same person reviewing it.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've had depression issues stemming from some school-bullying as a teen.
        It made grades plummet from B's/C's to D's/F's after 10th grade.
        After being prescribed meds and seeing a psych up until '05, I slowly began to overcome it through staying employed and going to the gym and such.
        As for the letter, they didn't describe it in a single-word answer, so I'll have to look at the rejection letter again(shelved that thing under the epic-fail paper-weight two years ago.)

As for reapplying, I'm waiting until I get my weight back down again(hit a plateau, rocky work schedule cooking my routine., etc) and also keeping an eye on what areas are least affected by cuts.
        I guess it's a little easier to deal with right now seeing as I'm still employed in other work and there's no immediate danger of becoming famished and such.

Comment

Quite often, the people evaluating psych exams are candidates for a rubber room themselves. I'm not medically qualified to pass judgment on the issues you noted, but in your place I'd apply again. As my colleague noted, you can fail a psych one day, and pass it the next. Many agencies will also use the psych as a means of insuring that a candidate is a "fit" for that particular agency. Good luck in your future efforts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3921 users online. 247 members and 3674 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X