300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this DQ and torpeado my chances? Character Review

I am currently filling out my APD-5 which is a long and exhaustive, 28+ form about everything I have ever done in my life. This is the problem with my record:

In 2006 I received a parking ticket.
    In 2006 I was involved in an accident
    In 2008 I received a ticket for failure to pay fare for NYC Subway:
    In explanation I gave the following:
    I paid for a Unlimited Ride Pass and proceeded to follow my friends, I was not paying much attention to where I was going as followed my friends through an open gate. We were stopped by two police officers, my friend John did not have a ticket and neither did my other friend Hagop. I apologized and presented my ticket and receipt to the officer showing that it was for unlimited rides for the day and had just been purchased prior to the incident. I was ticketed and so was John. Hagop was given a verbal warning due to the fact he was a couple of year younger than us. I did not appeal the ticket because John offered to pay for it and the monetary cost and time to appeal was almost as high as the fine.
    My bank is currently sending me my statements from then to back up the claim just to show i was telling the truth.

I am aware that they look at any negatives to yout character but do they also look at any positives? I was an officer in AFJROT for 3 years, an Eagle Scout, and won state awards for Constitutional Law, and served on my towns Youth court for two years.

Anyway that is some of my info, I was curious as to my chances, and if those incidents will hurt my chances?

I have two other questions: One section ask's if I own a firearm which I do, the form ask for the serial number which I can provide because it was made prior to the 1968 Gun control act. Should I mention it?

And another question ask's if I drink alcohol and if so explain, right now I put yes and gave an explanation. But in reality it is more like no over the past 4 months I have had maybe 4-5 drinks, and I wrote than in the explanation.
    NYPD Exam # 8110:PASS (12/07/08) EXPIRES (?)

Medical Exam / Character prescreening: DONE
    Met with Investigator: DONE
    Written Psychological: DONE
    Oral Psychological: DONE
    Mini Medical: DONE
    JST: DONE
    2nd Mini Medical: Done

Well, I have a question. If you purchased an Unlimited Ride Pass, and if you showed your ticket/pass to the Officer, why where you cited, and for what? I see no problems with either the parking ticket or the accident, but the subway deal is intriguing to say the least. Once more, if you had a pass/ticket which indicated you paid your fare, why where you cited for not having done so? The two "other questions" seem simple enough. Just answer them truthfully. Despite your accomplishments as an Eagle Scout and in AFROTC, I'm beginning to see a tendency on your part to dance around questions/issues to which simple, straight answers are required. If I see that, you can be certain that a Background Investigator will see it as well. B T W, your explanation for the citation really sucks....at least as I read it. I suggest you come across as more honest and responsible than you did in that reply. Hope you wanted an honest reply with no sugar coating, because that's what I've attempted to give you. Your move now.

Comment

Why in the world would you not appeal a theft charge if you were not guilty? Fare evasion is considered theft here.
      It's not a deal killer but you'll have to explain that one.
      If you can provide the serial number, why wouldn't you?
      The answer to 'Do you drink alcohol?' is yes.

Don't overthink the questions, but don't be evasive either.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I don't see any fatal problems.

One thing about character....................is isn't a do two good things to cancel out one bad thing situation.

Some "bad things" can NEVER be canceled.

We like to say it takes 1000 atta-boys to cancel out one "oh CRAP"
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you had an all day pass, why were you cited?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
            If you had an all day pass, why were you cited?
            Inquiring minds want to know.
            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I have looked into the reason and it is because the act of passing through a security gate is fare evasion whether you have an unlimited or not. I assume this is because unlimited tickets have a timer on them of like 5-10 minutes between swipes so you can not pass it between friends.

This ramble sort of explains why it is illegal.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/hbomb/sets/372746/

To some up the persons rant.(Post From: Oct: 2005)
              The turnstile at a subway station rejected my valid monthly unlimited-ride farecard, and I was forced to crawl under the turnstile to enter the station. When a police officer wrote me a ticket for "turnstile jumping," I fought the ticket.
              A hearing officer ruled against me -- and the Appeals Board affirmed her incoherent decision -- on the basis that using a prepaid unlimited ride Metrocard somehow doesn't count as tendering the subway fare.
              Several weeks after I lost my appeal, the MTA changed its rules to provide that having a valid Metrocard will never constitute a valid defense to charges of fare evasion.
              So yes it appears it is illegal for the reason describe above. Of course the police officer was could have used executive restraint in my case, as he did with my friend, but maybe he figured he couldn't ticket only 1 out of us 3. So he ticketed 2. I am not sure and do not hold it against the officer as he was in his right to ticket me under the law.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                Well, I have a question. If you purchased an Unlimited Ride Pass, and if you showed your ticket/pass to the Officer, why where you cited, and for what? I see no problems with either the parking ticket or the accident, but the subway deal is intriguing to say the least. Once more, if you had a pass/ticket which indicated you paid your fare, why where you cited for not having done so? The two "other questions" seem simple enough. Just answer them truthfully. Despite your accomplishments as an Eagle Scout and in AFROTC, I'm beginning to see a tendency on your part to dance around questions/issues to which simple, straight answers are required. If I see that, you can be certain that a Background Investigator will see it as well. B T W, your explanation for the citation really sucks....at least as I read it. I suggest you come across as more honest and responsible than you did in that reply. Hope you wanted an honest reply with no sugar coating, because that's what I've attempted to give you. Your move now.
                How would you recommend I phrase, the explanation for the incident, I tried to be as honest as possible, I bought my unlimited ride ticket, I wasn't paying attention as I followed my friends through the open gate, I displayed my ticket and receipt, 2 out of 3 were ticketed, I didn't appeal because it was cheaper to just pay the ticket since my friend offered to pay?

Comment

I would recommend that you tell the simple unvarnished truth. True, the Officer could have elected not to cite you, and, B T W, the proper phrase is "Officer Discretion". not "Executive Restraint". However, you were cited. It isn't the end of the world, and it's not going to kill any hopes you have of being an Officer,unless.......................you continue to make a huge deal over a very minor lapse in judgment.

Comment

I would recommend that you tell the simple unvarnished truth. True, the Officer could have elected not to cite you, and, B T W, the proper phrase is "Officer Discretion". not "Executive Restraint". However, you were cited. It isn't the end of the world, and it's not going to kill any hopes you have of being an Officer,unless.......................you continue to make a huge deal over a very minor lapse in judgment.
                    Okay thank you very much for your help, I will take that into account. What about the gun thing? I was told that it is legal to own a gun w/o a serial number because they were given vintage status. Is there any problem with that?

Comment

Can you provide a serial number for the weapon? Your original post indicates that you can. If you can, do so. Young Man, IMHO, you're right on the verge of over thinking this whole thing. You may not intend to be evasive, but you'd better not leave the wrong impression with a Background Investigator. Simply follow the instructions for the application and answer all the questions truthfully.

Comment

Can you provide a serial number for the weapon? Your original post indicates that you can. If you can, do so. Young Man, IMHO, you're right on the verge of over thinking this whole thing. You may not intend to be evasive, but you'd better not leave the wrong impression with a Background Investigator. Simply follow the instructions for the application and answer all the questions truthfully.
                        Oh that is a typo I cannot provide a serial number for because it is a Winchester Model 67A bolt-action single shot rifle, and was produced from 1934 through the early 1960s, and hence does not have a serial number. But I guess you are right and I am over thinking this sort of thing.

Comment

Dont worry about the serial number on the rifle. It is not illegal to own unless the number was removed after manufacture. I have a pistol that has a serial number that was made in 1895 but that was a military pistol. Is the subway ticket considered a theft? If so, you could have issues. Why not ask a recruiter for the department or at least somebody in the know there?

Comment

The ticket on the subway was alittle more than a ticket no? Isnt it considered an arrest? You dont have to be taken to the PCT to be arrested. You can be issued field appearance tickets for minor offense such as shoplifting etc, but it is still considered an arrest. Either way, a minor arrest, so long as your being honest about it, probably will not prevent being hired. Just be truthful about it and don't waste the investigators time with a line of BS.

Comment

I'm more intrigued as to what a "torpeado" is?
                              Sounds like it's from Mexico!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6006 users online. 302 members and 5704 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X