Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified for being honest

So here is my situation...

I am a 22 yr old college senior Criminal Justice/Spanish major in NC. I recently applied to a large metropolitan p.d. here in NC. I took the physical test yesterday and was anticipating taking my oral review boards the next day b/c this department is planning on starting an academy this August.

I had the top 1.5mile time of the 40 applicants and was a top 5 performer in pushups, sit-ups, and the 300m sprint. (It was quite apparent that the majority of the applicants were in deplorable physical shape).

Anyway... I return to HQ to take the basic entry written exam that almost every PD uses now. As I sit down, I am pulled aside along with three other applicants and taken into an office. I am told that I am being disqualified because I listed on my app that I had used marijuana within the last year (7 months ago).

These were the circumstances surrounding the "marijuana use": I was at a summer cookout with some friends and some people I did not know (first mistake). We had a table with all the usual cookout foods: burgers, hotdogs, and cookies, etc. Unknown to me at the time, those cookies contained marijuana and I ate one. A few minutes later I was told what I actually ate. This instance was my ONLY experience with marijuana or illegal drugs...EVER. I made it all the way through high school and college w/o ever touching drugs of ANY KIND. Knowing that lying and dishonesty are taken extremely seriously in regards to police applications, I chose to be completely honest and forthcoming about this incident. Now it seems I am being disqualified for doing what I thought was the right thing.

So therefore, given this dept.'s policy, I am not allowed to reapply for another 3 months which means I will miss out on their upcoming academy.

My concerns: Will this affect me being hired by other agencies? Is this type of Zero Tolerance policy fairly common in your departments?

You were not disqualified for being honest. You were disqualified for being a drug user within the last year. There's a big difference.

Comment

As stated above you were not disqualified for your honesty. It was for chompin on the reefer. Regardless if you were telling the truth or not you still used. Also, there may be "circumstances" surrounding this but the story is the same with everyone. I'm not taking a shot at you but you have to understand the position of the department. Keep your nose clean, watch what you eat, and apply again after some time has passed. Most departments I have seen want at least a couple years between MJ experimentation and hire. Mine would be 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JH164 View Post
        You were not disqualified for being honest. You were disqualified for being a drug user within the last year. There's a big difference.
        Yep, it's your drug usage (not your "honesty") that disqualified you. You have only yourself to blame, kid, time to grow up and realize there's consequences for your actions.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't believe your story.

Did you call the police and let them know that these STRANGERS put MJ into your food? No, I didn't think so.

Good luck.

Comment

I have a similar situation. Not a cop, but I think the rules allow me to ask a question that parallels the OP's question. If not, sorry!

I was at a large gathering several years ago (sophomore in college) and after I took 1 bite of a brownie, some questionable individuals nearby started snickering. I immediately put the brownie down and got a bottle of water. To this day, I have no idea if anything was in it or if I was just being neurotic about the whole thing. Being a CJ student and wanting a career in law enforcement, I have always thought of this when the "drug" question comes up. I felt no effects, and was never told that it contained any drugs. For the record, I have never even smoked a cigarette in my life. Zero drugs, and only tobacco was cigars during vacation in Mexico.

If anything, it re-emphasized the importance of surrounding yourself with trustworthy and high character people as well as being vigilant about what you consume.

Is this something I should disclose? I consider myself 100% drug free.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC-WI View Post
              I have a similar situation. Not a cop, but I think the rules allow me to ask a question that parallels the OP's question. If not, sorry!

I was at a large gathering several years ago (sophomore in college) and after I took 1 bite of a brownie, some questionable individuals nearby started snickering. I immediately put the brownie down and got a bottle of water. To this day, I have no idea if anything was in it or if I was just being neurotic about the whole thing. Being a CJ student and wanting a career in law enforcement, I have always thought of this when the "drug" question comes up. I felt no effects, and was never told that it contained any drugs. For the record, I have never even smoked a cigarette in my life. Zero drugs, and only tobacco was cigars during vacation in Mexico.

If anything, it re-emphasized the importance of surrounding yourself with trustworthy and high character people as well as being vigilant about what you consume.

Is this something I should disclose? I consider myself 100% drug free.
              Really, you want to know if you should disclose eating a brownie and observing people giggling?

You're fine, stay out of trouble and good luck!

Comment

Story does sound a little fishy. If I had found out that they, so called friends and "some people", let me eat MJ laced cookies possibly screwing up an ambition of mine, the BI would be questioning me on the numerous arrests I would have listed on the application for battery. Sometimes that bond is worth a little revenge.

Are you sure they were laced or were they just screwing with you?

Comment

Originally posted by LAChief View Post
                  Story does sound a little fishy. If I had found out that they, so called friends and "some people", let me eat MJ laced cookies possibly screwing up an ambition of mine, the BI would be questioning me on the numerous arrests I would have listed on the application for battery. Sometimes that bond is worth a little revenge.

Are you sure they were laced or were they just screwing with you?
                  My question also, if you have never used MJ before, how would you know of it's effects?
                  "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I felt no effects whatsoever. Only reason I found out was when my friend told me, "hey, you know that had weed in it right". If no one told me, I would have never known

Comment

I felt no effects. The only reason I knew it had weed in it was b/c i was later told that it did.

Comment

EDIT: double post
                        Last edited by Kimble; 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cjstudnc783 View Post
                          So here is my situation...

I am a 22 yr old college senior Criminal Justice/Spanish major in NC. I recently applied to a large metropolitan p.d. here in NC. I took the physical test yesterday and was anticipating taking my oral review boards the next day b/c this department is planning on starting an academy this August.

I had the top 1.5mile time of the 40 applicants and was a top 5 performer in pushups, sit-ups, and the 300m sprint. (It was quite apparent that the majority of the applicants were in deplorable physical shape).

Anyway... I return to HQ to take the basic entry written exam that almost every PD uses now. As I sit down, I am pulled aside along with three other applicants and taken into an office. I am told that I am being disqualified because I listed on my app that I had used marijuana within the last year (7 months ago).

These were the circumstances surrounding the "marijuana use": I was at a summer cookout with some friends and some people I did not know (first mistake). We had a table with all the usual cookout foods: burgers, hotdogs, and cookies, etc. Unknown to me at the time, those cookies contained marijuana and I ate one. A few minutes later I was told what I actually ate. This instance was my ONLY experience with marijuana or illegal drugs...EVER. I made it all the way through high school and college w/o ever touching drugs of ANY KIND. Knowing that lying and dishonesty are taken extremely seriously in regards to police applications, I chose to be completely honest and forthcoming about this incident. Now it seems I am being disqualified for doing what I thought was the right thing.

So therefore, given this dept.'s policy, I am not allowed to reapply for another 3 months which means I will miss out on their upcoming academy.

My concerns: Will this affect me being hired by other agencies? Is this type of Zero Tolerance policy fairly common in your departments?

You make it sound like you regret being honest????

You injested marijuana which violated the department's policy. Your intent, views, or opinions regarding marijuana are irrelevent, malicious or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                            You make it sound like you regret being honest????
                            You injested marijuana which violated the department's policy. Your intent, views, or opinions regarding marijuana are irrelevent, malicious or not.
                            That's kind of what I was getting out of it also...Makes me wonder if the next time it might be conveniently forgotten.
                            It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                            Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Title of this thread should be "Disqualified for experimenting with marijuana". Be careful who you associate with, and be aware of situations you find yourself in. I have a difficult time believing that you "didn't know" that there was marijuana in the cookies. I was a kid once and hung around questionable folks in high school. The marijuana brownies, cookies, etc. were never just "left out". There was always a fuss over the stuff about how good it tastes, folks would say "Hey guys, you gotta check out these brownies. It's the best thing on this table." A good part of LE work is trusting your instinct and making observations. If you can't pick up on some dope head making comments about the "funny cookies", then maybe LE isn't the career field for you.
                              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3693 users online. 194 members and 3499 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X