Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Oral Board Question; Is this a good answer or a red flag?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Oral Board Question; Is this a good answer or a red flag?

From what I understand one of the things that any department looks for in an applicant is the ability to perform well under stress. I've been thinking about what kind of answer I would give if an oral board asks me for an example of how I have dealt with a stressful situation. Here is the story I am thinking of relating:

A few years ago I was visiting family abroad. During our stay my father and I went to a money exchange from where we were subsequently followed and mugged at gunpoint. My father was the one at gun point and I was a few feet away, contemplating what to do. As angry as I was, I decided it would be better not to step in and provoke the robbers. When they got the money, they rode away on a motorcycle. I noted their appearance and license plate as best as I could and asked my father to file a police report.

Initially, I thought this would be a good answer. However, now I am concerned as to whether this will raise some kind of red flag with the board that I have some kind of personal vendetta because of that disturbing event. (Of course it was very disturbing, but I'm over it.)

So what do you think? Is this a good example, or does this seem like a red flag? Or maybe that I'm trying to show off or act tough or something?

Sounds fine.

Comment

True story? Relate it as such. My feeling is that you're right on the edge of over thinking this upcoming Board. Don't do that. Good luck.

Comment

@PhilipCal, It keeps me up at nights... Like now

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by zsayed View Post
          @PhilipCal, It keeps me up at nights... Like now

Don't let it

That is a recipe for failure.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            True story? Relate it as such. My feeling is that you're right on the edge of over thinking this upcoming Board. Don't do that. Good luck.
            +1

My best advice overall in an oral board is to be yourself. You're going to be nervous and you're not going to know the quesitons and there probably isn't one right answer to any of the questions...that is the entire point. They want to see what you would do in a certain situation and the added stress of the oral board enhances your anxiety, comparable to that of what you would see on the road. If you have commmon sense and a good head on your shoulders answer how you would handle the situations. Don't tell them what you think they want to hear, tell them honestly what you would do.

And take PhilipCals' and Iowa's advice: Relax and don't over think it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5695 users online. 336 members and 5359 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X