Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly

How does the poly work
    Last edited by jsmith221; 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM.

Unless you committed a serious felony like rape or something along that lines no truthful answer will harm you. However, answering any questions untruthfully will eliminate you from the process right then and there

Comment

^^^^^ What he said.

Remember that you need to own your mistakes no matter what.

Your question isn't a polygraph question-----it is a qualifications question. The poly part of it is you need to be completely truthful when asked a question......end of story

Only the department that you are applying with can tell you if your past transgressions will harm your chance of being hired as a police officer.

Stealing from a prior employer is not a real good background no matter how long ago it happened ------------is it fatal-----it depends.

This is one of the reasons why we often caution people about self sponsoring themselves through an academy. Many just want your money & don't do a thorough background prior to enrolling you in their program. They really don't care if you are eligible to become a police officer in your state, they just want the tuition money.

By not conducting a proper background prior to enrolling you----they powers that be in that school give the applicant/student a false sense of security. Students come out an "academy graduate" but have no idea if they meet the minimum requirements for the job.

Bottom line-----tell the truth.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by natedog89 View Post
        Unless you committed a serious felony like rape or something along that lines no truthful answer will harm you. However, answering any questions untruthfully will eliminate you from the process right then and there
        "Only LEOs should answer questions. Please see posting guidelines.

First of all that answer is NOT correct; at least not entirely. Yes, lying will sink you 100% of the time but that doesn't mean telling the truth will pave the way to a job. Stealing from an employer is one of the things that is really frowned upon. Tell the truth but don't expect them to overlook it.

However, as mentioned above lying will DQ you 100% of the time.

How long ago was this?

Comment

Originally posted by ruggeri5054 View Post
          I know many ask about the polygraph, but I am in need of an answer here. Im in an academy currently, just really curious about the poly questions.
          My past:
          the BAD I have taken some cash from previous employers when I was younger.

the GOOD, I have never tried any drugs, not once! No rape, no other bull like that..

Im concerned about the cash thing... I think ill be ok as long as i tell them, I really just want a second opinion. Any most of all, what questions truthfully answered will harm my chances?
          We really seem to be getting quite a number of Polygraph questions lately. Normally, I'd refer you to the "search" function, but I'll attempt an answer. The first thing in your post which struck me was the impression you left that you would consider lying on the exam. Read your post once more, and see if possibly it doesn't convey that impression. If you choose to lie on the exam, in all probability you'll be eliminated from the process. Ideally, there should be no surprises in a Polygraph Exam. The Examiner will go over all the questions he/she proposes to ask you. It's at this time that you'll be given the opportunity to explain any replies which might cause a reaction from the Polygraph. With regard to having taken cash from an employer. Much will depend on the amount you took in total, and /or the period of time in which the theft(s) took place. If the theft(s) you referenced amounted in total to felony theft, or a pattern of theft was established, you're very likely to be DQ'd Integrity is at the very basis of all we do as a profession. OTH, if the theft was a one time thing, and the amount did not arise to the level of a felony, it's possible you might have a shot. Prior to taking your Polygraph, you'll no doubt complete a PHS or similar document. In this document, you'll be asked if you've ever committed a crime/violation for which you were neither arrested or prosecuted. The truth is essential.

Comment

about 6 years ago

Comment

oh, i was not even considering telling a lie...I just wondered how much the truth would harm me... All i will do is tell the truth

Comment

about 6 years ago
                Yours may very well be an instance where the passage of time does not cure the original offense. I fully understand any reluctance you may have concerning putting your past on an open forum. However, you had better do it in any applications you submit. I also suggest you re-read my colleague's comments concerning self-sponsor academies. It's beginning to look as it they might apply to you.

Comment

6 years ago works in your favor. One bit of advice: figure out how much you stole and go pay it back now. You'll feel stupid but it's a lot better to say "I stole, grew up and made it right" than "I stole". It shows this truly is a past thing for you and not a current state of affairs.

Good luck.

Comment

wow, I'm feeling the vibe of "just give up".. The academy is a self paid tuition but I know a surplus of officers who graduated there..and Most commissioned officers or cadets that are sworn in, prior to graduation, are fully sponsored and paid for.

Comment

I wont give up, I guess it is just a pain in the *** finding a job...

Comment

The problem is stealing from the employer. You have to be trusted to handle cash, drugs, and valuables often with little or no supervision or accountability short of honesty. Stealing from an employer looks really bad.

Comment

Stealing from an employer (in NC) is a felony. And Nate's comment is not 100 %. Lying is never better than telling the truth. However
                          Unless you committed a serious felony like rape or something along that lines no truthful answer will harm you.
                          is not correct. Not even close.
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Well what about Ohio, I know officers that have done similar and worse in the past and have jobs.. I am not ready to give up here..

Comment

Well what about Ohio, I know officers that have done similar and worse in the past and have jobs.. I am not ready to give up here..
                              Why does it matter what others have done?
                              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2708 users online. 152 members and 2556 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X