Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which states accept my Police Certificate?!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which states accept my Police Certificate?!

I recently have obtained a NYS Police Certificate and am curious to know which states actually accept it? I was told going through the academy that multiple Southern states do.

Reason I ask...... is because I contacted a agency in PA and they do NOT accept it. So before I go around asking the same question to every department I'm interested in outside of NY, I was hoping someone here would know the answer or point me in a direction of where to find that answer

Usually, out of state laterals require not only the certificate but also a year of on the job experience or more. This is true for Florida and a few other places but I don't know for everywhere else. Did you sponsor yourself through a NYS academy?

Comment

Here is a link to Alabama's.

http://www.apostc.state.al.us/Portal...hapter%204.pdf
      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
        Usually, out of state laterals require not only the certificate but also a year of on the job experience or more. This is true for Florida and a few other places but I don't know for everywhere else. Did you sponsor yourself through a NYS academy?

Here is the administrative code rules for "lateral" transferes. Iowa really doesn't accept laterals per se. Almost everyone either needs to test out or attend at least a short course academy.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/ACO/IAC...m#rule_501_3_4

501—3.4(80B) Qualifications for attendance at short course. In order to be eligible for enrollment in the certification through the short course, the individual officer must possess at least one of the following qualifications:

3.4(1) Have satisfactorily completed a two–year or four–year police science or criminal justice program at an accredited educational institution and documentation furnished to the academy.

3.4(2) Have satisfactorily completed law enforcement training in another state commensurate with basic training required in Iowa, and be able to provide verification of same.

501—3.8(80B) Certification through examination. Law enforcement officers who have been certified in another state may, upon application to the director with council approval, take a competency test or tests to gain Iowa law enforcement officer certification. Successful completion of the required test or tests will result in certification by the council. The test or tests will be prepared and administered by the academy or its designee, and the passing score will be determined by the academy. The required test or tests will be based upon the officer’s prior law enforcement training and experience as follows:

3.8(1) Five or more years of law enforcement experience. Officers with more than five years of full–time law enforcement experience will be required to pass a test or tests which will primarily measure the officer’s knowledge of Iowa laws. The test or tests will include, but need not be limited to, such topics as criminal law, motor vehicle law, juvenile law, law of arrest, law of search and seizure, and law regarding the use of force.

3.8(2) Less than five years of law enforcement experience. Officers with less than five years of full–time law enforcement experience will be required to pass a comprehensive test or tests which will focus on all phases of law enforcement. The test or tests will include, but need not to be limited to, such topics as criminal law, juvenile law, motor vehicle law, law of arrest, law of search and seizure, law regarding the use of force, confessions and admissions, crime prevention, community relations, minority relations, crime scene investigation, vehicle stops, and rules of evidence.

3.8(3) Tabulating previous law enforcement experience. In tabulating whether an officer has met the law enforcement experience requirement, no credit will be given for experience received from the officer’s current employment.

3.8(4) Criteria to be eligible to certify through examination. The following will be prerequisites for certification through examination:

a. Successful completion of a minimum 160–hour certifying basic law enforcement training school in another state, which certification has not been withdrawn by the certifying state.

b. Firing a verified score of 80 percent or greater with the officer’s service handgun since the individual’s appointment as an Iowa law enforcement officer, and which course of fire was prescribed by the academy and administered by the Iowa law enforcement academy or its designee.

c. Possession of a current Iowa law enforcement emergency care provider (ILEECP) card or another appropriate certification recognized by the Iowa law enforcement academy.

3.8(5) Application and testing periods. Application for certification through examination shall be made within 120 days of the applicant’s hiring date, unless a determination is made by the academy council that this time period should be extended for “good cause.” Failure to make timely application for certification through examination may result in the applicant’s being required to attend an academy certifying school.

3.8(6) Retesting requirements. Failure to successfully complete this examination will require retesting within 60 days in the areas failed. If any area is failed a second time, it will be necessary for the individual to attend and satisfactorily complete training at the academy covering those areas of deficiency. Successful completion of the training will result in law enforcement officer certification by the academy council.

3.8(7) One year’s absence from law enforcement shall require training. An officer who has not served as a regular law enforcement officer during the 12–month period preceding the officer’s hiring date will be required to attend a certifying school.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Assuming this means you went through a full police academy, several months long?

In Texas, you need to pass the licensing test. To be allowed to take it, you will need to take the short course which is, I think, about 120 hours. Most medium to large departments would hire you and then give you that training. BUT, some very large ones would make you take a full academy again. And most small ones would need you to get the certificate in hand before hiring you.

Short answer, decide what state you would like to work in and then contact their licensing agency. (In Texas, it's TCLEOSE)
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Just about any state will accept it, you just have to research whatever particular state you want, like others have said above.

Comment

SC hires lateral officers; the department that hires you will send you to the state academy for the 3 week course and test (very easy procedure).

Most states that I know of will require a test and or short training course, most require 1 to 3 years police experience. Also most will only except current or recent (within 2 years) officers.

Hawaii does NOT take laterals.
              Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Wisconsin does not, technically, take any other states academies unless you've got at least 1 year full-time paid experience as a police officer and have not been out of work for more than 3 years. Even then, you still have to take the Reciprocity Exam and pass with a 75% or better to become eligible for certification. If you fail the exam, you get one retest. Fail again and you do not get any reciprocity and must attend a full academy.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

In Colorado and Minnesota you have to have atleast 3 years of paid experience as a police officer to lateral.

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                    Assuming this means you went through a full police academy, several months long?
                    Yes sir, I have a 160 hours of academy training. I believe the problem I'm running into when researching I only get big name departments when searching. Thanks for the information tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Here is the administrative code rules for "lateral" transferes. Iowa really doesn't accept laterals per se. Almost everyone either needs to test out or attend at least a short course academy.[/B]
                      Thanks for the information Iowa, if only State and Constitutional Law was highlighted like that to pull only essential information out lol. So what I am understanding is that most states DO in fact take transfers but require a short course.

Now a question inside a question!

- How long is this short course? And is it something you have to pay for?
                      or
                      - Do you have to study up before going down to take this short course?

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                        Wisconsin does not, technically, take any other states academies unless you've got at least 1 year full-time
                        Those were the answers I was running into. I know some states won't accept it unless you have a more than a year of full time employment. Making my situation difficult since I can't gain full time employment lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                          [COLOR="navy"]SC hires lateral officers; the department that hires you will send you to the state academy for the 3 week course and test (very easy procedure).

Most states that I know of will require a test and or short training course, most require 1 to 3 years police experience.
                          Does SC require 1 - 3 year experience? Or is it just the short course.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
                            Did you sponsor yourself through a NYS academy?
                            Yes the academy I attended was completely self sponsored. I didn't realize that I could even be sponsored by a department, and the people that were sponsored were from another county. I am kicking myself in the butt now because I wonder if I could have gotten a small department to sponsor me. Hind-Sights 20-20

Comment

I hear you. To be sponsored by a PD or Sheriff's office in NY, you need to be hired by them. To be hired by them you need to be appointed from a civil service eligible list. It's okay though, some smaller departments may waive academy training for you because of your academy cert. I know most larger ones will not though. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3148 users online. 155 members and 2993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X