Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to start my background investigation

Post removed
    Last edited by RockyMountain; 09-03-2011, 12:09 PM.

Three citations in a year is a lot, were they just speeding tickets or something else?
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Post removed
      Last edited by RockyMountain; 09-03-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Well the department said no more that 3 in the past 3 and they allowed to apply. Bear in mind that other applicants may not have so many violations and they may be picked first. All you can do is try really. Good luck to you
        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Unless maintaining a certain GPA is one of the minimum requirements for the job, grades are not a DQ issue. I only know of a couple of degree requiring departments in Texas who do that.

However, upon reviewing your transcripts and seeing F's, the BI may inquire as to why your grades dropped. In doing so, he will be looking for behavioral problems during that period.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Post removed
            Last edited by RockyMountain; 09-03-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

No. I'm referring to alcohol, drugs, criminal conduct or other misbehavior that may have redirected your focus away from school.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                No. I'm referring to alcohol, drugs, criminal conduct or other misbehavior that may have redirected your focus away from school.
                Keep in mind that the BI is seeing your application for the first time so he may still DQ you for the tickets. The first person to review your application and schedule you for the hiring process is usually in HR and probably doesn't pay too much attention to those sort of things. HR probably only looked to see if you had the minimum qualifications to move on before sending you an invite to test.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMountain View Post
                  Thanks for your help. L-1, can you please clarify what you mean by "behavioral problems?" The grades resulted from a lack of interest/effort in my studies - I became 'tunnel visioned' with other things like work and social life. The period of time when my grades went down was the same time I started working full-time and met my girlfriend. I know many people are able to juggle significantly more while still maintaining high grades, yet I had a hard time adjusting. Is the lack of maturity I showed with balancing multiple things in my life at the time a "behavioral problem" that will hurt me?
                  There was a reason why your grades dropped.

The BI is going to want to know why it happened..................was it environmental, family problems, or as L-1 stated due to you going "wild" and experimenting with mind/mood altering substances.

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                  Keep in mind that the BI is seeing your application for the first time so he may still DQ you for the tickets. The first person to review your application and schedule you for the hiring process is usually in HR and probably doesn't pay too much attention to those sort of things. HR probably only looked to see if you had the minimum qualifications to move on before sending you an invite to test.
                  The person who will do the BI will dig a lot deeper than a "pre-background screen" does..............................and use different standards
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Post removed
                    Last edited by RockyMountain; 09-03-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

The first part of my background investigation is an integrity interiew. Is this when my background investigator will ask me for an explanation of these issues? I don't really have a very good explanation I can give him as to why my grades dropped - the bottom line is I just got lazy with school and became a lot more interested in work and my relationship. There wasn't any sort of underlying issue like family problems, substance experimentation, etc. Should I just tell him that and hope the lack of maturity I showed doesn't warrant a DQ? Also, do background investigators have a lot of discretion in whether or not they choose to disqualify someone? For example, will a lot of this just depend on his gut feeling about me? Thanks for all your help by the way.
                      Don't justify your behavior and grades in college. The BI will see maturity if you just own up to your downfalls. The second questions is it depends on the department. Most of the time it is not the BI that makes the decision on whether or not to hire. He or she merely forwards his or her finding to the hiring authorities up the chain. However, the BI's opinion is not taken lightly.

Comment

I don't really have a very good explanation I can give him as to why my grades dropped - the bottom line is I just got lazy with school and became a lot more interested in work and my relationship.
                        That IS the explanation. Own it and move on.

There wasn't any sort of underlying issue like family problems, substance experimentation, etc. Should I just tell him that and hope the lack of maturity I showed doesn't warrant a DQ?
                        The underlying reason was you got lazy at school and focused on other things.......................That actually is understandable.

I really don't see a big problem here to begin with -----you just need to explain (not justify) what happened.

Also, do background investigators have a lot of discretion in whether or not they choose to disqualify someone? For example, will a lot of this just depend on his gut feeling about me? Thanks for all your help by the way.
                        The actual DQ's are usually pretty much black and white. If you meet the standards you are ok----if you don't, you are history.

Most BI's gather information & report it to someone higher up on the chain. Most BI's are either detectives, or Sgts..............in other words pretty low on the totem pole. They just report the findings of their investigation to someone else.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Your overall GPA is what is important, and most depts don't care about that. As others have said, you still meet the minimum requirements re. tickets, but don't be surprised if they pick someone with zero tickets in the last three years.

Comment

You've gotten some really great advice, and it's difficult to add to. The citations are all movers, and really rather recent, so how the Agency views them will be in accordance with their current standards. As a BI, the GPA drop would concern me to the point I would ask you about it. The reply you've given seems honest enough, so shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind that as the Agency reviews it's current applicants, there may be those with better Driving Records, so it's possible your citations could negatively impact you. They shouldn't be killers though, provided this is the last of them.

Comment

I think you are underestimating the damage those tickets are going to do to you. 3 tickets worth 2-3 points each in one year is a big deal nowadays. I know it says you meet that requirement but just barely. Did you take some point reduction classes?
                              Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6236 users online. 355 members and 5881 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X