300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Service State

I am from New York State where getting hired by a larger department is based completely on civil service (unless you lateral). I recently graduated an academy (not one that places you after you complete it) and would like to be employed full time somewhere in New York. The next Civil Service test isn't available until November. I plan on attempting to gain part time employment.

Any advice????

Find a job that will pay the bills for the next couple years.

That is not a smart *** answer...............................

Your academy means NOTHING in getting hired in a Civil Service department.

You need to pass the test with an acceptable (meaning very high) score after meeting the basic minimum requirements.
    After the test you will have to pass an interview and PT test somewhere along the line-----AGAIN with a high score.

Depending on the Civil Service rules where ever you apply------only the top scores advance to the next stage of the process. And only the top total scoring applicants are eligible to be hired ----in order of their scores.

These type of procedures can last anywhere from 3-4 months after testing to several yrs. I think the current waiting list of eligible hires for the NYPD is about 3 yrs (If what I read is correct). That is 3 yrs after getting placed on the hiring list.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well you said anywhere, but then said the test isn't until November. Are you trying to get on just one particular department? It might be a good idea to take a look at a few other departments too.
      "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
      I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Well New York State only allows you to take Civil Service test in adjacent counties. Unfortunately that means I have my county, and 2 others to test in. The next closest test is in November. And I have a job that pays the bills now, but doing well in your academy (in class and PT) and then not being able to find work is frustrating. You end with field training and right as you feel like your getting the hang of things its over and your waiting. Testing every two years is a bit ridiculous as well.

Comment

Danny, you're living proof of the caution we often give in regard to self-sponsor academies. Not belittling you, just kind of sorry you no doubt spent a considerable amount of time and money, and are still looking for work. OK. Hang on to your current gig until you get something better. November seems like a long time off, but it will be here before you know it. Kick butt on the exam, and hang in there. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by danny06m View Post
            I am from New York State where getting hired by a larger department is based completely on civil service (unless you lateral). I recently graduated an academy (not one that places you after you complete it) and would like to be employed full time somewhere in New York. The next Civil Service test isn't available until November. I plan on attempting to gain part time employment.

Any advice????
            What county do you live in?

There is a test April 30th for both Rochester Police department and Onondaga County Sheriff. Both of these departments only require you to be a NY state resident, not a county resident. The deadline may have already passed (I am not 100% sure) but it is worth a shot.

Also, contact all the local town/city departments you can and see if you can sit down and talk with a recruitment officer and just get to know people. Putting yourself out there and showing initiative will go a long way.
            Last edited by nji911; 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nji911 View Post
              There is a test April 30th for both Rochester Police department and Onondaga County Sheriff.
              I am signed up for Rochesters test, I'm not for the Onodaga Sheriffs. And I'm not sure I am even eligible to take their test. I will be inquiring now. I've been trying to get as much face time I can with departments without coming off as annoying. We'll see where it leads me. As of right now, if I dont score well on the Civil Service test in November I'll head for warmer weather.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                Danny, you're living proof of the caution we often give in regard to self-sponsor academies..
                I loved the academy I went to. It was very well ran and put together, as well as having engaging instructors and material BUT... the "98% placement" is mostly part-time and with there being an academy every year pumping out 25-30 gals and guys it becomes an over populated market. Up until now I knew of academies where you could be sponsored but I never considered them since I have one in my county that gets rave reviews. But hey hindsight's 20-20 right lol

Comment

Hey Danny, I'm an LEO in NY and all full-time LEO positions in NYS are civil service class positions. I definitely feel your pain when it comes to the annoying civil service rules that restrict where you can test. I used to live near Albany and would have absolutely loved to work with Albany PD but after moving downstate, it became a literal impossibility. I definitely recommend you sign up for the NYPD test, in my opinion it's a great job and it's one of the few departments in NYS that gives non-residents a real shot. There are some municipalities in NYS that do not require you to be a resident of the county/adjoining county to take the exam. They are limited but I know Rochester is one, I also know that the Onondaga exam is open to all residents of NYS. I know because I live on Long Island, NY and was able to drive up and take that exam. Syracuse PD hires from that exam as do all other municipalities in Onondaga county. NYPD is open to applicants nationwide but they are still civil service nonetheless and adhere to the same Civil Service law that other municipalities in NYS do. You also must make a trip down to Brooklyn to take the NYPD exam but you are eligible and you CAN be hired as a non-resident of NYC. I am living proof of that. I recommend that you sign up for the Suffolk County PD exam scheduled for 6/11/11. I'm not sure where you live but Suffolk county is a downstate NYS county on Long Island and it's one of the highest paying departments in the nation. Today 3/31/11 is the LAST day to register and the exam is given once every 4 years. They have no residency requirement to take the test either. www.joinscpd.com I believe the city of Ithaca, NY also allows non-residents to take their exam. Other than that, it's tough to say. I spent 2 years waiting to get hired as an LEO in NY and I did a lot of research and test taking throughout NYS. The best bet for a non-resident that I have seen in NY are the Rochester Police Dept, NYC Police Dept, Suffolk County Police Dept, and the New York State Police. Getting hired in NYS can be an extremely frustrating, nonsensical, and lengthy process. Be prepared for that. Also, for all of the big departments I just mentioned above, your police certificate will mean nothing and you will be sent back through the academy. I think Rochester may be the only exception. MAY be.

Comment

Originally posted by danny06m View Post
                    I loved the academy I went to. It was very well ran and put together, as well as having engaging instructors and material BUT... the "98% placement" is mostly part-time and with there being an academy every year pumping out 25-30 gals and guys it becomes an over populated market. Up until now I knew of academies where you could be sponsored but I never considered them since I have one in my county that gets rave reviews. But hey hindsight's 20-20 right lol
                    What academy did you attend?

Part time work may not be a bad alternative in order to gain some experience. Although, it does depend on whether or not it would be enough financially.

Comment

Albany PD is giving their test April 30th.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc7011 View Post
                        Hey Danny, I'm an LEO in NY and all full-time LEO positions in NYS are civil service class positions. I definitely feel your pain when it comes to the annoying civil service rules that restrict where you can test. I used to live near Albany and would have absolutely loved to work with Albany PD but after moving downstate, it became a literal impossibility. I definitely recommend you sign up for the NYPD test, in my opinion it's a great job and it's one of the few departments in NYS that gives non-residents a real shot. There are some municipalities in NYS that do not require you to be a resident of the county/adjoining county to take the exam. They are limited but I know Rochester is one, I also know that the Onondaga exam is open to all residents of NYS. I know because I live on Long Island, NY and was able to drive up and take that exam. Syracuse PD hires from that exam as do all other municipalities in Onondaga county. NYPD is open to applicants nationwide but they are still civil service nonetheless and adhere to the same Civil Service law that other municipalities in NYS do. You also must make a trip down to Brooklyn to take the NYPD exam but you are eligible and you CAN be hired as a non-resident of NYC. I am living proof of that. I recommend that you sign up for the Suffolk County PD exam scheduled for 6/11/11. I'm not sure where you live but Suffolk county is a downstate NYS county on Long Island and it's one of the highest paying departments in the nation. Today 3/31/11 is the LAST day to register and the exam is given once every 4 years. They have no residency requirement to take the test either. www.joinscpd.com I believe the city of Ithaca, NY also allows non-residents to take their exam. Other than that, it's tough to say. I spent 2 years waiting to get hired as an LEO in NY and I did a lot of research and test taking throughout NYS. The best bet for a non-resident that I have seen in NY are the Rochester Police Dept, NYC Police Dept, Suffolk County Police Dept, and the New York State Police. Getting hired in NYS can be an extremely frustrating, nonsensical, and lengthy process. Be prepared for that. Also, for all of the big departments I just mentioned above, your police certificate will mean nothing and you will be sent back through the academy. I think Rochester may be the only exception. MAY be.
                        Well unfortunately I was just now able to get online and check the forum, just in time to see that the last day was yesterday! Ugh. I am glad you told me the information about NYPD because I actually inquired with them before. I spoke with a recruiter and they said that my academy would NOT apply and I would have to re-certify, which I expected. Although I was told that I had to be in one of the 5 counties in NYC or something of that nature, so I ruled that out as an option.

The whole non-residency issue is another big pain. I wish if they were going to make it as difficult as they do at least make applying and testing easier!

I should have joined this forum a year ago haha!!

Comment

. I think Rochester may be the only exception. MAY be.
                          I wasn't eligible for the Rochester test because I sat for the November 2010 test

Comment

Danny, to be eligible for appointment as a Police Officer with the NYPD, you must establish residency in any of the following by the date of hire:

-Any of the 5 counties that make up/encompass the City of New York (Bronx County, New York County, Queens County, Kings County, and Richmond County) basically become a NYC resident OR

-Any county that borders the City of New York as follows: Suffolk County(Long Island), Nassau County(Long Island), Westchester County, Putnam County, Rockland County, and Orange County.

Which county in the state do you currently reside in now? If you prefer more of an upstate feel, Putnam and Orange county can provide you with that. The other counties have more of a suburban/urban feel. You can stay where you are now and still compete in the application/testing/hiring process for NYPD. Residence as I mentioned above only needs to be obtained if you are hired by the NYPD.

It's a true shame that you missed registration for the Suffolk County PD test! They don't nitpick over residency like the rest of the State and it's an extremely lucrative job! Bummer man! Good luck though. If you have any questions or need any help shoot me a PM.

Comment

Danny, to be eligible for appointment as a Police Officer with the NYPD, you must establish residency in any of the following by the date of hire:

-Any of the 5 counties that make up/encompass the City of New York (Bronx County, New York County, Queens County, Kings County, and Richmond County) basically become a NYC resident OR

-Any county that borders the City of New York as follows: Suffolk County(Long Island), Nassau County(Long Island), Westchester County, Putnam County, Rockland County, and Orange County.

Which county in the state do you currently reside in now? If you prefer more of an upstate feel, Putnam and Orange county can provide you with that. The other counties have more of a suburban/urban feel. You can stay where you are now and still compete in the application/testing/hiring process for NYPD. Residence as I mentioned above only needs to be obtained if you are hired by the NYPD.

It's a true shame that you missed registration for the Suffolk County PD test! They don't nitpick over residency like the rest of the State and it's an extremely lucrative job! Bummer man! Good luck though. If you have any questions or need any help shoot me a PM.
                              Western New York, out near Buffalo. I am bummed I missed it, but I just keep tellin myself an opportunity will present itself in time!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4246 users online. 277 members and 3969 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X