Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being muli-lingual and a background in self defence stand out in an application?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being muli-lingual and a background in self defence stand out in an application?

I am starting to have second thoughts as wether my qualifications are helping me out or not. I have started the hiring process at Detroit police department 4 months ago and I am still awaiting my phone call for orientation(step 4). I have several years training in ju-jitsu and boxing(boxed for a retired detroit officer). I would like to know, how often and how helpful would an officer be that can speak arabic and spanish fluently?

Spanish a nice plus. Arabic not so much but then again, doesn't Michigan have a significant terr.....I mean Arabic population?
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Knowing a second language will never hurt.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

yea theres a decent amount of arabic speaking citizens/illegal alliens here

Comment

I think those would be two great langauge skills to have up there.

Comment

If you are fluent in Arabic why not apply to CIA, FBI, ETC, ETC

Comment

I already applied at FBI. I want to ultimatly work my way to becoming a federal agent but for now I would like to pursue a career in LE

Comment

Federal is not LE?

I would play up Language skills, and minimize your boxing to the "Hobby" level.

Wussy administrators tend to avoid hiring people who like to punch others for fun and recreation.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                  Federal is not LE?

I would play up Language skills, and minimize your boxing to the "Hobby" level.

Wussy administrators tend to avoid hiring people who like to punch others for fun and recreation.

M-11
                  well if anything the discipline of boxing and having prior experience with hand to hand combat pre-police academy should be a plus shouldnt it? I would hope so but I would not know because I dont know how applications are processed and viewed on paper.

Comment

Second languages are a plus.

Martial art is not. It won't hurt you, but admins could care less about jiu-jitsu or boxing when making a hiring decision. They will teach you what you need to know self defense wise in the academy

Comment

90% of PD's out there look for incredibly boring, clean, amicable recruits. Boxing is great, and while I appreciate Violent communication methods, I suggest you downplay it as a hobby and concentrate on selling other aspects of your person.

M-11
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Arabic and Spanish are probably two of the most critical current language needs. As a suggestion, don't simply limit your applications to Detroit PD.

Comment

How'd it go with the FBI if you don't have a degree yet? As suggested, your languages can be useful, however you will be tested on those, most likely and your boxing AKA "hobby" or workout will be looked out a different way.
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                            90% of PD's out there look for incredibly boring, clean, amicable recruits. Boxing is great, and while I appreciate Violent communication methods, I suggest you downplay it as a hobby and concentrate on selling other aspects of your person.

M-11
                            you got it!

Comment

Originally posted by InGodWeTrust View Post
                              well if anything the discipline of boxing and having prior experience with hand to hand combat pre-police academy should be a plus shouldnt it? I would hope so but I would not know because I dont know how applications are processed and viewed on paper.
                              Nope. Language skills are good. The other stuff really doesn't matter.
                              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5631 users online. 356 members and 5275 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X