Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does local/state law enforcement experience carry over into federal retirement? I’m having issues finding this info on the internet. I know federal agencies, for the most part, have parallel systems or accept all the work years of other federal employees, but I’m not sure if this is possible for local/state LEO’s?

I ask this question because LEO departments appear to require XXX amount of years before an individual is eligible for investigative work (experience to carry over to 1811 positions). If this is true, it would appear more advantageous to do another contract with the military as an officer (leadership experience) because you do not lose any years?

FERS Credit for Personnel with Military Service

"Former military personnel may receive credit for their active-duty military service. In order to do so, however, they must make a deposit to the FERS fund, as if they had been civilian federal employees during their time in the military. The deposit amount is equal to three percent of their total base pay for their active-duty military service. The deposit to the FERS fund must be made before retirement. If this deposit is completed within the first three years after joining the government, it is interest-free. Otherwise, interest is compounded annually until the deposit is completed. If an employee dies during his or her federal service, the surviving spouse will be given a chance to complete the deposit before the survivor benefits are determined."
    Last edited by Ross; 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding additional information

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      Does local/state law enforcement experience carry over into federal retirement? I’m having issues finding this info on the internet. I know federal agencies, for the most part, have parallel systems or accept all the work years of other federal employees, but I’m not sure if this is possible for local/state LEO’s?
      No, local/state retirements do not carry over into FERS. You have to start all over with retirement.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      I ask this question because LEO departments appear to require XXX amount of years before an individual is eligible for investigative work (experience to carry over to 1811 positions).
      FWIW I am an 1811 and was a former local LEO but was never a detective/investigator at the local level. Know several other 1811's who were patrol cops (and never worked in a designated investigative billet) prior to becoming agents.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm going to stay federal in the app process, and finish my masters. This seems like my best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08817

Honestly, I don't think you fall under the competitive applicant category.
          I fall under the qualifying category Diversified and critical skill "military experience" at the entry level with 4 years work experience, I have a BS with a 3.9 GPA and I get VET preferences. This does not make me competitive? What makes me a competitive app? A few more years of work experience (8-10) and a Masters Degree ?

Is that the norm? 10years experience Masters Degree>?
          Last edited by Ross; 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Ross,

With any specific agency I'd take what anyone says who does not actually work for that agency with a grain of salt (for example, not to belittle Polo above but his profile says he is a photographer, not a sworn LEO and certainly not a FBI agent). I don't work for FBI so I'm not qualified to speak on what they're looking for in applicant skills/backgrounds right now, and the FBIjobs.gov site only gives a very general idea of what they look for on an ongoing basis. I'd contact an FBI recruiter at the nearest FO to you (or the recruiter closest to you for whatever other agencies you're interested in applying to) and get the answer directly from the horse's mouth.
            sigpic

Comment

As per Departments which require a contract in return for putting you through the academy, many of those contracts contain a clause which states that you're only on the hook if you leave before the end of the contract in order to take a position you obtained as a result of your academy certification.

I.e. if you went through the academy, got hired, did one year of a three-year contract and suddenly decided you just couldn't hack being a street cop and decided to become a professional cook, you're not on the hook for anything. Although it is an LEO job, an 1811 series job would fall under the same clause since your academy certification is meaningless in obtaining the 1811 slot (has to QUALIFY you for the job, not simply make you look like a good candidate).

Another example, you quit before end of contract to take a job with a PD which requires the same academy certification, but that PD puts you through the entire academy again on its own dime. Contract would not apply. (Although the chances of this happening are about the same as non-LEO's obeying the rules of not answering posts in Ask-a-Cop...)

Reverse example: you quit before the end of contract and take a job with a PD which uses your academy certification to hire you. You're on the hook for whatever penalty the contract spells out.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that ALL PD contracts are handled this way, but years ago when I was looking to get the hell out of the Feds and return to local LE I checked into PD's in many different States and encountered these types of contracts, all of which had such a clause. (And yep, that's right, after trying both local and Fed I found that my true love was local not Fed; be careful what you wish for and don't base your preference for Feds on what you see and hear, or on TV).

-V
              Last edited by vincelli; 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2794 users online. 135 members and 2659 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X