300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC to 1811? Is it enough?

My overall goal is to become an 1811. I got out of the Marines recently and I have been a full time college student ever since. I just finished my BS in criminal justice; I have no disability, perfect vision, no deviant behavior, and not even one speeding ticket. The hiring freeze has prompted me to enroll in a Master's program which I have been accepted for and start in a few days.

My question is, should I attempt to complete a master’s degree and hope for 1811 jobs to open? Alternatively, should I apply to, and take a city/ state police department job? Which is a more successful/expeditious route to my goal (1811)? While I know my USMC experience is technically enough work experience, how is it weighed against a current LEO, non-military guy, with the same degree? The competition for these jobs is what? 100 apps to 1 position? Should I finish out this first semester take whatever LE job I can get, finish that contract, and try my hand at 1811 or should I be good to go? I have also considered doing an Officers package with the USMC and applying for 1811 jobs towards the end of that contract. I am very confused…. What would you guys suggest?
    Last edited by Ross; 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM.

You could apply for local jobs while you're in your masters program. You'll be surprised at how long it takes to get hired for local jobs as well. Your service, education, more education, and LEO experience (if you take a local job) will make you a great candidate for 1811.

I went to the academy with a former Marine who was in the process to be hired as a Marshall. He's an engineer and was going to local academy in case Federal didn't work out. It took well over a year from when he was able to apply til when he was given a date for FLETC. You're very likely to be able to completely finish your masters and maybe start a LEO job before 1811 hires you, even if you put your application in today.
    West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
    Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
    Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. The master’s plan was picked in part with the impression that screening would take me a year if not longer. The problem with doubling up as you have pointed out from my understanding is a contract? I am under the impression that a contract is standard nowadays (3 years) to prevent recruits from jumping ship after going through the academy? Is this not correct?

Comment

I'm an 1811 who is not prior service but have many, many coworkers who are. Some went on to become local/state cops after their military service, others applied for an 1811 position and got it when they separated. Apply now, what can it hurt. The worst they can say is there are better qualified applicants, and if that happens continue on the path you're looking at (whether getting a graduate degree or going local/state LE) and apply again. There's no shame in having to apply more than once with the 1811 agency(ies) you want to for most, I had to apply twice before I was hired with my agency.

As far as your comment about "contracts" for LEO jobs, I've never heard of such (with the exception of some reserve/part-time LEO positions that require a couple years service or paying back the cost of the academy, but never for full-time LEO positions).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
          Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. The master’s plan was picked in part with the impression that screening would take me a year if not longer. The problem with doubling up as you have pointed out from my understanding is a contract? I am under the impression that a contract is standard nowadays (3 years) to prevent recruits from jumping ship after going through the academy? Is this not correct?
          I am not a certified LEO but I do have slight knowledge on this.

Contracting is out there. AFAIK here in the Kansas/Missouri area the only city that does it is Kansas City, MO itself. If you are in a state that is self sponsor go for it, but if you are in a hired academy state like Kansas, Iowa, ect... keep in mind that its frowned upon to take an agency's money for training and bailing out after you receive your certification. Most of them expect a couple of years out of you, if not asking for a contract outright.

Comment

Keep in mind that your numbers are a tad off; it is way more than 100-1 applicants to job ratio. Try 1000-1. Bear in mind however that most of the people applying are doing it on a whim and do not have the specific background compatible with 1811 positions. Last thing, with the economy even local jobs are hard to obtain so don't think it will be an easy and quick process.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post

As far as your comment about "contracts" for LEO jobs, I've never heard of such (with the exception of some reserve/part-time LEO positions that require a couple years service or paying back the cost of the academy, but never for full-time LEO positions).
              Most departments in Iowa require a 3-4 yr training reimbursement contract which covers the cost of the academy. Failure to complete the employement contract OR repay (on a sliding fee) will result in your decertification. Yep, one of the Academy Council rules is they have the authority to decertify you if the department tells them you left without repayment.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by cleantrep View Post

Contracting is out there. AFAIK here in the Kansas/Missouri area the only city that does it is Kansas City, MO itself. If you are in a state that is self sponsor go for it, but if you are in a hired academy state like Kansas, Iowa, ect... keep in mind that its frowned upon to take an agency's money for training and bailing out after you receive your certification. Most of them expect a couple of years out of you, if not asking for a contract outright.
                I agree with the substance of your post, however you should not be posting in the AAC section. One person got BANNED today for posting in AAC (and being a Richard Head about it)
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by cleantrep View Post
                  Why do some people believe they are "special" and the rules don't apply to them?

Post reported.
                  sigpic

Comment

I got out of the Marines in 07 (infantry mortarman 2years/scout sniper 2years), I have no disability, perfect vision, no deviant behavior, and not even one speeding ticket.

you call yourself a Marine? Im ashamed...
                    Originally posted by crass cop
                    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

My overall goal is to become an 1811, preferably with the DEA or FBI. I got out of the Marines in 07 (infantry mortarman 2years/scout sniper 2years), and I have been a full time college student ever since. I just finished my BS in criminal justice; I have no disability, perfect vision, no deviant behavior, and not even one speeding ticket. The hiring freeze has prompted me to enroll in a Master's program which I have been accepted for and start in a few days.

My question is, should I attempt to complete a master’s degree and hope for 1811 jobs to open? Alternatively, should I apply to, and take a city/ state police department job? Which is a more successful/expeditious route to my goal (1811)? While I know my USMC experience is technically enough work experience, how is it weighed against a current LEO, non-military guy, with the same degree? The competition for these jobs is what? 100 apps to 1 position? Additionally, I’m a single guy (25), and I have been living at home (parents) while going to college. Granted, I have had apartments but to save money it made more sense to move back home. Will this hurt my chances? Should I finish out this first semester take whatever LE job I can get, move out, finish that contract, and try my hand at 1811 or should I be good to go? I have also considered doing an Officers package with the USMC and applying for 1811 jobs towards the end of that contract. I am very confused…. What would you guys suggest?
                      Start applying as soon as possible. Some 1811 jobs will hire college grads with no experience. Besides, the hiring process is so long that you will be waiting 1+ years for almost any 1811 position with the feds.

If I was in your shoes, I would apply for almost any LE job that is opening up, and that includes federal, state, and local. With the state of the economy, and the quality/quantity of candidates out there, it will take a lot to get hired in these conditions.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                        Start applying as soon as possible. Some 1811 jobs will hire college grads with no experience. Besides, the hiring process is so long that you will be waiting 1+ years for almost any 1811 position with the feds.

If I was in your shoes, I would apply for almost any LE job that is opening up, and that includes federal, state, and local. With the state of the economy, and the quality/quantity of candidates out there, it will take a lot to get hired in these conditions.
                        I would apply for 1811 jobs if entry level positions were open to me. I have been watching USAJOBS like a hawk, but I guess it does not help that the budget is not passed yet. Unfortunately, I missed the recent SS announcement… I do see some 1801 jobs, but I’m not sure how these stack up against LEO positions.

Currently, I’m filling out an application for a civil service exam coming up with a 300 or so officer department. While I see these jobs, the officer packets keep telling me I’m not qualified…. It appears that there are residency requirements, and I will only be considered if the jobs can’t be filled with locals… The out of state departments are giving me the same impression.

I also get the economy concern. However, money is not a factor for me at the moment. I have saved a good amount of money from my deployments, the GI bill, and I won’t have any student loans. I’m more interested in trying to make the right employment moves while I’m in my prime over taking anything I can get. At the same time, I don’t want to “miss the bus” so to speak. All of which, is extremely confusing…

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                          you call yourself a Marine? Im ashamed...
                          Believe me; it has been hard not to partake in some of the festivities, especially overseas on a med float or recently in Vegas with some Marine Buddies…. I’m the “voice of reason” or "that guy" and my friends have been giving me hell for it for a long time.

Comment

I missed the recent SS announcement…
                            Cultural lesson of the day: if you plan to apply with US Secret Service (or work with them in any capacity), don't refer to them as "SS," that was the name for Hitler's "secret police." Sort of akin to calling a Marine a "soldier."

Best acronym to use for Secret Service is USSS.
                            sigpic

Comment

Take every test that comes out and apply to every agency that is taking applications wherever you think you might be interested in working (including other states). It's an extremely tough and competitive market out there. Don't forget the market is also flooded with police officers who were either laid off or are only part time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4934 users online. 286 members and 4648 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X