300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about background

I got a underage drinking ticket in may of 2010. I was 20 years old at the time. I have since turned 21 with no other violations and will be graduating in a year with a B.S. in criminal justice. I did community service and my record shows charged but not convicted. How will this impact my future? My dream job is with NCSHP, which i know is very selective. Thanks for your help!

You are still going to need to put some time between your ticket and your application. I had a drinking ticket at the age of 17 and it was deferred prosecution meaning no conviction, and no plea of guilty or nolo contendre. You will still have to list it as a crime that you have committed on the application regardless. I think that in this economy it will hurt your chances given that there are applicants out there that can bring to the table a B.S without any troubles with the law. I just don't think that 1 year past the summons is enough time to show growth and maturity.

Comment

Originally posted by ncguy12 View Post
      I got a underage drinking ticket in may of 2010. I was 20 years old at the time. I have since turned 21 with no other violations and will be graduating in a year with a B.S. in criminal justice. I did community service and my record shows charged but not convicted. How will this impact my future? My dream job is with NCSHP, which i know is very selective. Thanks for your help!
      An underage drinking citation, of and by itself, won't be a killer.........but. You're making the same error many people do by attempting to offset the citation with a recitation of your accomplishments. It's not my purpose to demean or belittle the positive things you've done, merely put them in perspective. Obviously, the citation will have to be disclosed in any PHQ or similar statement you submit on your application. Departments are not so much concerned with how a charge was adjudicated, as they are in the circumstances surrounding the original arrest and charge. Presently, the citation is really too recent. You're going to need at the very least, three years of violation free /arrest free citizenship. You are very much correct in your statement concerning the NCSHP being very selective. They are by tradition, and they can afford to be. With the still shaky economy, just about any agency can afford to be very selective.

Comment

Way too recent.

Comment

Keep in mind that the departments looking at anyone's record are most likely thinking "Ok, so he obviously breaks the law enough to get caught at least once-----what else don't we know about this guy?"

Its not just the record that kills you, its the "other" category.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5646 users online. 358 members and 5288 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X