300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cretique of my probability of being hired please

I would like to know what people feel my eligability is in having a career as a LEO. I will provide my full background info and would really like honest up front feedback, which is what I get judging by other posts. Thank you very much for your feedback in advance and I look forward to reading your responses. I know that I have dug myself a nice sized hole but I am hoping to be able to overcome my past.

Background: I am 25 years old. I have a bachelor's degree in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration with a minor in Forensic Psychology. I am obtaining my EMT-B license and am joining a volunteer fire department. I have completed a citizen's police academy at a local department, volunteer there as much as i can and also helped their hostage negotiation team do some training. In college I volunteered on the college's Crisis Hotline. I have done many ride-alongs with different departments and continue to do as many as I can. I currently hold a job as a security officer and had no problems with their background investigation.

Criminal:
    3 speeding tickets in the last 7 years (last ticket was 09 but before that was 04 and all have been 10-15 over)
    1 ticket for improper display of license plate (7 years ago)
    1 citation for Vandalism (I broke a window with a paintball gun) 7 years ago
    I did have a misdemeanor shoplifting charge expunged from my record. This occured 7 years ago. <--- Specifically relating to this charge, I have gotten mixed advice on how to report that on an application. I had a lawyer advise me that since it was expunged I should not write it down that I had the conviction but rather put it in an "extra info" category if the application has it. I have also been told by a few officers to put it down under the "arrest history" portion. Some applications I have seen specifcally ask if I have had any records expunged and others don't. In the interest of full disclosure I always put it on the app but I am confused as to where it goes. I did part of an internship with a department with that charge still on my record so I know that honesty about it goes a long way and does not always DQ me instantly.

Sorry for the length and again your experiences, advice, and feedback are very welcome. Thank you for your help.

PS - I am also trying to put myself through a police academy which allows me to self sponsor. Would this help me in starting a career in LE or would it not help me at all? Thank you again.

Include the theft charge. Any agency you apply with will find it in about 90 seconds. Fail to disclose anything and you will never be hired anywhere, ever.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
      Include the theft charge. Any agency you apply with will find it in about 90 seconds. Fail to disclose anything and you will never be hired anywhere, ever.
      +1

You're looking better than a lot of the "can I still be a cop if..." questions I've seen lately.

You're not a perfect applicant, but few are. Like ateamer stated, you need to disclose everything. Many times in the background packet it will have a section that specifically asks if you had any "expunged" convictions or similar...

Good Luck!

Comment

Here's my advice, take it for what it's worth (nothing).

You've got some blemishes. 5-10 years ago, it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Now, there are more applicants then ever which means there are more applicants without any blemishes than ever. Vandalism and shoplifting is nothing to bat an eye at, especially since you were like 17 or 18 when it happened (which is obviously much different then if you were say 12-13).

Now you've already spent 4 years and probably thousands of dollars towards a LE degree when you may not even be able to get a job in LE. I wouldn't waste anymore time/money (like a self sponsor academy). If I was you I would use that time/money to pursue other options outside of LE. However, you should still take tests and apply to agencies, worst case scenario you don't get hired but you've already been working towards another career. Best case scenario you do get hired and stop pursuing the other career.

And if you were arrested for it, it goes under the arrest background, regardless of disposition. This isn't a security guard background check.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmerman_pm View Post
          I would like to know what people feel my eligability is in having a career as a LEO. I will provide my full background info and would really like honest up front feedback, which is what I get judging by other posts. Thank you very much for your feedback in advance and I look forward to reading your responses. I know that I have dug myself a nice sized hole but I am hoping to be able to overcome my past.

Background: I am 25 years old. I have a bachelor's degree in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration with a minor in Forensic Psychology. I am obtaining my EMT-B license and am joining a volunteer fire department. I have completed a citizen's police academy at a local department, volunteer there as much as i can and also helped their hostage negotiation team do some training. In college I volunteered on the college's Crisis Hotline. I have done many ride-alongs with different departments and continue to do as many as I can. I currently hold a job as a security officer and had no problems with their background investigation.

Criminal:
          3 speeding tickets in the last 7 years (last ticket was 09 but before that was 04 and all have been 10-15 over)
          1 ticket for improper display of license plate (7 years ago)
          1 citation for Vandalism (I broke a window with a paintball gun) 7 years ago
          I did have a misdemeanor shoplifting charge expunged from my record. This occured 7 years ago. <--- Specifically relating to this charge, I have gotten mixed advice on how to report that on an application. I had a lawyer advise me that since it was expunged I should not write it down that I had the conviction but rather put it in an "extra info" category if the application has it. I have also been told by a few officers to put it down under the "arrest history" portion. Some applications I have seen specifcally ask if I have had any records expunged and others don't. In the interest of full disclosure I always put it on the app but I am confused as to where it goes. I did part of an internship with a department with that charge still on my record so I know that honesty about it goes a long way and does not always DQ me instantly.

Sorry for the length and again your experiences, advice, and feedback are very welcome. Thank you for your help.

PS - I am also trying to put myself through a police academy which allows me to self sponsor. Would this help me in starting a career in LE or would it not help me at all? Thank you again.
          OK, let's take a look at your record. First, the good stuff. Commendable, but not enough----yet, to offset the negatives. Your driving record will be a problem with many agencies, including mine. Time, and by that I mean three to five years, will probably offset your current driving history. Now let's look at the Shop lifting charge. That's just another word for stealing, and that's important considering that integrity is at the very basis of all we do in LE. I also want to deal with "expungements" as well as Attorneys who don't know jack about LE hiring processes. In a police background investigation, there is NO such thing as an expungement. Follow your Attorney's advice, fail to disclose ANY charge for which you were arrested, and you'll be dropped from the process as a certainty. List ALL charges for which you have been arrested or cited. Agencies are far more interested in the original charge(s) and the circumstances surrounding it, than they are concerning the deal you took behind Door #3. Keep in mind too, that there is the difference of night and day between a "Background investigation" run by a security company, and one run by a LE agency. Finally, the self-sponsor Academy. While some smaller departments will often favor an applicant already certified, self sponsorship at an Academy can be a real crap shoot. Quite often, and after the expenditure of a considerable amount of time and money, the self sponsor student finds there are no LE jobs to be had, or that he is not hired for a variety of reasons. I don't especially see any of your "problems" taken by themselves as killers. Your problem is going to be the sum total of all the times you dropped the ball. The current LE job market very much favors the prospective employer who can afford to be very, very choosy. Due to the still crappy economy, there is any number of already certified, highly qualified Officers who have been laid off by cash strapped cities and counties. You will be competing against them. You will also be competing against very high quality applicants who don't bring your issues to the table. Perhaps your best ally will be time. Time to put more distance between your past and your application, and time to continue the efforts at responsible citizenship which you've started.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            OK, let's take a look at your record. First, the good stuff. Commendable, but not enough----yet, to offset the negatives. Your driving record will be a problem with many agencies, including mine. Time, and by that I mean three to five years, will probably offset your current driving history. Now let's look at the Shop lifting charge. That's just another word for stealing, and that's important considering that integrity is at the very basis of all we do in LE. I also want to deal with "expungements" as well as Attorneys who don't know jack about LE hiring processes. In a police background investigation, there is NO such thing as an expungement. Follow your Attorney's advice, fail to disclose ANY charge for which you were arrested, and you'll be dropped from the process as a certainty. List ALL charges for which you have been arrested or cited. Agencies are far more interested in the original charge(s) and the circumstances surrounding it, than they are concerning the deal you took behind Door #3. Keep in mind too, that there is the difference of night and day between a "Background investigation" run by a security company, and one run by a LE agency. Finally, the self-sponsor Academy. While some smaller departments will often favor an applicant already certified, self sponsorship at an Academy can be a real crap shoot. Quite often, and after the expenditure of a considerable amount of time and money, the self sponsor student finds there are no LE jobs to be had, or that he is not hired for a variety of reasons. I don't especially see any of your "problems" taken by themselves as killers. Your problem is going to be the sum total of all the times you dropped the ball. The current LE job market very much favors the prospective employer who can afford to be very, very choosy. Due to the still crappy economy, there is any number of already certified, highly qualified Officers who have been laid off by cash strapped cities and counties. You will be competing against them. You will also be competing against very high quality applicants who don't bring your issues to the table. Perhaps your best ally will be time. Time to put more distance between your past and your application, and time to continue the efforts at responsible citizenship which you've started.
            PhilipCal said everything I would have.

Do not listen to the attorney.......................................It would be fine to not disclose this concerning a job at Mickey D's. If you don't disclose in a LE job, you will be history when the BI runs your COMPLETE CRIMINAL HISTORY on NCIC.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Seems to me like you made a lot of mistakes after turning 18. Youthful indiscretions are just that, youthful, not at 18 when you are considered an adult. I would take the above advice and hold off on the self-sponsor for now. If you do self-sponsor you only have a year (1 1/2 if you apply for an extension) to get a police job; if not it is money down the toilet. Since most agencies like to see a good 5 years from the date of your last traffic citation I would wait another 2 years before self-sponsoring. In the mean time feel free to apply to agencies that will sponsor you. You may get lucky in this economy.

Comment

Just wanted to take a quick sec and thank everyone for the tremendous advice on here. I very much value your opinions and the advice that was given will undoubtedly (did I spell that right?) help me out in the future. I love reading your posts and, unlike most ppl on here, really do appreciate your honesty. So once again, thank you for advice, thank you for your service, and thank you for providing me with very entertaining reading!!

Comment

I will give my standard answer to this type of question, if you have to ask, then no, you probably are not going to be a Cop.

Comment

Learn to spell........

Critique
                    Eligibility
                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

To what extent have you used drugs?

+1 don't self-sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        How is this possible??

Comment

Originally posted by Glock 09 View Post
                          How is this possible??
                          There is no such thing as an expunged record when you are dealing with a Law Enforcement Background Investigation.

Hidden, expunged, deferred (or any other term you wish to use) records are easily accessed by LEO's. They are especially accessed when completing a Background Investigation.

If you have a issue, and don't disclose that issue----the department you are applying to will infer an integrity problem in your failure to disclose. This is normally fatal to a Law Enforcement application. Once you have an integrity issue on record, it is very hard to overcome. No agency will trust you ......no prosecutor will trust you.....no judge will trust you.

THAT is how it is possible
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            There is no such thing as an expunged record when you are dealing with a Law Enforcement Background Investigation.

Hidden, expunged, deferred (or any other term you wish to use) records are easily accessed by LEO's. They are especially accessed when completing a Background Investigation.

If you have a issue, and don't disclose that issue----the department you are applying to will infer an integrity problem in your failure to disclose. This is normally fatal to a Law Enforcement application. Once you have an integrity issue on record, it is very hard to overcome. No agency will trust you ......no prosecutor will trust you.....no judge will trust you.

THAT is how it is possible
                            Maybe to make it clearer, my question was more toward how will every department (ex: depts B-Z) you apply for know the non-disclosure/issue on another dept's (dept A) application. I get how they can search your criminal record almost instantly with the help of an FBI database.

Comment

Last edited by Aerohead; 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM.
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4340 users online. 267 members and 4073 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X