300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question, like most posts here...

So, I am interested in become a cop from anyplace that is hiring around here (small towns/cities). I am going to school for a CJ major via the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I can do a internship with a local cop that is friends with my family. I however am not sure if being a vet/internship will make me stand out during the hiring time. I also have a trach hole(not sure the spelling, but a tube was once stuck into my neck from an car crash when I went out for a bit.) Also my sight is 20/40 20/50 and can only be fixed to 20/25 with glasses. Because of my coma, I need to see a Nero eye doc. Seeing how hard it is to get any kind of job today, I was wondering if it is even worth my time and GI bill to really push this. I understand that seeing that I willing risk my life to defend, I should have more balls. I however am just interested to see what you folks have to say about it.

Thanks either way

Originally posted by Sanctus47 View Post
    So, I am interested in become a cop from anyplace that is hiring around here (small towns/cities). I am going to school for a CJ major via the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I can do a internship with a local cop that is friends with my family. I however am not sure if being a vet/internship will make me stand out during the hiring time. I also have a trach hole(not sure the spelling, but a tube was once stuck into my neck from an car crash when I went out for a bit.) Also my sight is 20/40 20/50 and can only be fixed to 20/25 with glasses. Because of my coma, I need to see a Nero eye doc. Seeing how hard it is to get any kind of job today, I was wondering if it is even worth my time and GI bill to really push this. I understand that seeing that I willing risk my life to defend, I should have more balls. I however am just interested to see what you folks have to say about it.

Thanks either way

From the New Hampshire Police Standards website http://www.pstc.nh.gov/faqs.htm#coopers

Q9. What are the minimum visual acuity standards?
    A9. All candidates shall have binocular vision and near vision of not worse than 20/40 corrected binocular. Corrected distance vision shall be at least 20/20 in the weaker eye and shall be for both eyes together.

Q14. I have a particular medical problem or disability. Who can I ask to determine if I can be hired or allowed to attend the Academy?

A14. The Council will not speculate or give off-the-cuff opinions on these matters. If you apply and are hired and there is any question, we will, at that point, look at your situation on a case-by-case basis, referring to our Medical Review Board for a recommendation if necessary.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well, the first thing you might want to do is polish your writing skills a little. Your post was a little difficult to wade through. OK, let's do internships. They aren't done with "local cop that is friends with my family". Internships are done with specific police agencies, and agencies which offer internship programs. Vision requirements are established, at a minimum, by a given state's Police Officer Standards and Training Commission. An individual agency may set standards higher than the minimum mandated by POST, but in no case can they set a lower standard. I'm not qualified to pass on whether or not your trach hole, coma, or need to see an eye doctor would impede your application. These are medical questions, and would be decided in compliance with a given department's established medical standards. Prior to applying, it might be a good idea to check with a Recruiter or HR resource to determine if your current health condition would allow you to perform the duties of a Police Officer. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

I know for a fact that they can and do give wavers for vision, (I know one with 20/a lot) I can do everything any other officer can do. Also by law a vet gets points on any kind of testing given by the state. The state also has to hire a vet over a non-vet (point wise, if two people are even the vet will be hired, ever if the other person is slightly past him/her) However, there is a lot of room to go either way here. So I was just wondering what you guys thought. And I say a small town because they mostly just need people to past the pt test and will give much more leeway on other parts. But with the lack of jobs out there, I am not sure anymore.

There still is much that would could stop me from fulfilling my wish, but I thought you should have the facts. Do not get me wrong I think my chances here are slim but wanted to know what people on the force thought, esp if any are a vet as well.

"Live Free or Die"
        Last edited by Sanctus47; 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I know for a fact that they can and do give wavers for vision, (I know one with 20/a lot) I can do everything any other officer can do. Also by law a vet gets points on any kind of testing given by the state. The state also has to hire a vet over a non-vet (point wise, if two people are even the vet will be hired, ever if the other person is slightly past him/her) However, there is a lot of room to go either way here. So I was just wondering what you guys thought. And I say a small town because they mostly just need people to past the pt test and will give much more way on other parts.

It still is much is there court, so I was just wondering what you though.

"Live Free or Die"
          Wow!! You seem to have all the answers my friend. That being so, why ask us? You asked for opinions, you got them. Know what might torpedo all your dreams and aspirations? Attitude. I'm getting the idea that you have one. If you do, ditch it. If you don't dump the attitude, it's going to cost you some jobs. I also perceive a sense of entitlement, due in part to your status as a Veteran. Here's a news flash from another veteran. You're entitled to what you earn on the exam, Veteran's Preference points included, no more no less. If you compete against another vet, and he/she outscores you, he/she, not you gets the job. I strongly suggest that you rethink what I see as a rather know it all attitude. You can argue that my views are not really that important, and you'd be correct. Your problem is going to arise if an Oral Board, a Chief, or someone who can hire you, gets the same impression. In your place, I'd be very concerned about that.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Wow!! You seem to have all the answers my friend. That being so, why ask us? You asked for opinions, you got them. Know what might torpedo all your dreams and aspirations? Attitude. I'm getting the idea that you have one. If you do, ditch it. If you don't dump the attitude, it's going to cost you some jobs. I also perceive a sense of entitlement, due in part to your status as a Veteran. Here's a news flash from another veteran. You're entitled to what you earn on the exam, Veteran's Preference points included, no more no less. If you compete against another vet, and he/she outscores you, he/she, not you gets the job. I strongly suggest that you rethink what I see as a rather know it all attitude. You can argue that my views are not really that important, and you'd be correct. Your problem is going to arise if an Oral Board, a Chief, or someone who can hire you, gets the same impression. In your place, I'd be very concerned about that.
            +1000 from another veteran......
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I don't have an attitude, just trying to defend myself. I guess I will just stop by a station, where people will be more helpful. Later.

Comment

I don't have an attitude, just trying to defend myself. I guess I will just stop by a station, where people will be more helpful. Later.
                Yea, right.

That is called ATTITUDE..........................Take your ball and go play elsewhere.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I know for a fact that they can and do give wavers for vision, (I know one with 20/a lot) I can do everything any other officer can do. Also by law a vet gets points on any kind of testing given by the state. The state also has to hire a vet over a non-vet (point wise, if two people are even the vet will be hired, ever if the other person is slightly past him/her) However, there is a lot of room to go either way here. So I was just wondering what you guys thought. And I say a small town because they mostly just need people to past the pt test and will give much more leeway on other parts. But with the lack of jobs out there, I am not sure anymore.

There still is much that would could stop me from fulfilling my wish, but I thought you should have the facts. Do not get me wrong I think my chances here are slim but wanted to know what people on the force thought, esp if any are a vet as well.

"Live Free or Die"
                  Anyone else pick up on this? I'm thinking there's some Background oriented issues that he doesn't want to bring to light...

-V

Comment

Who's attacking you?Yep, I was right. Tell you what you do Mr.Sanctus47. Walk your *** into a police station. Do that with the same boat load of attitude you've displayed here. Know what? They're gonna tell you the same thing....only up close and personal. Hey Pal, don't make the mistake of thinking anyone on this forum gives a rusty flip whether you make it or not. We're not the one's looking for a job. YOU are. Might also thrill you to know that your self serving, It's all about me" mindset, can give Veterans a bad name too. Grow the phuc up, and start behaving like someone who has something to contribute, not some crybaby who has yet to make the cut. See if you can rise to that challenge. If you can, you might have a prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
                      Anyone else pick up on this? I'm thinking there's some Background oriented issues that he doesn't want to bring to light...

-V
                      Would not be one bit surprised. Wonder too, if he's really a vet? Still, at the end of the day, Mr. Sanctus 47 is the one with the problem. Want to comment on that Santus? Show us some more attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        Who's attacking you?Yep, I was right. Tell you what you do Mr.Sanctus47. Walk your *** into a police station. Do that with the same boat load of attitude you've displayed here. Know what? They're gonna tell you the same thing....only up close and personal. Hey Pal, don't make the mistake of thinking anyone on this forum gives a rusty flip whether you make it or not. We're not the one's looking for a job. YOU are. Might also thrill you to know that your self serving, It's all about me" mindset, can give Veterans a bad name too. Grow the phuc up, and start behaving like someone who has something to contribute, not some crybaby who has yet to make the cut. See if you can rise to that challenge. If you can, you might have a prayer.
                        I guess you are right, nothing you or anyone else says here will change anything. It still is really up to me to get the facts as they stand if I find someplace hiring. I guess I just figured, I would not have to explain things to people who have already been hired. Yes, many of you do not live in area's or city's/towns like mine. So, I felt the need to expand on some points raised to me. I am not going to go on here, it really is up to me.

The post by amw9490 was beyond funny.

Comment

edit it up
                          Last edited by Sanctus47; 03-11-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

A Vet of what? Sitting around an armory? Big ****ing Deal... Burger King is hiring. You can have it your way there.
                            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

again, that is how it goes.
                              Last edited by Sanctus47; 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6003 users online. 300 members and 5703 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X