Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of state application for LAPD after failing FTO?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state application for LAPD after failing FTO?

Well, I am considering trying out for LAPD , however being an out of state applicant I have to weigh my options on if this will be the most beneficial investment for me. I have a clean record, and put myself through a TX academy, and was eventually hired by a small (5 officer patrol) department that was very quiet (one of the safest cities in the nation), but after a month I was let go. The department saw that I disliked working in a small quiet town and thought that they may not get a good investment return from me (by leaving to a larger department after training). They fired me citing that I failed fto, but I had no officer safety marks or misconduct etc. Needless to say it definately hurt my confidence, and has made departments wary of hiring me. Since then ( about a year ago) I went back to school to finish my bachelors degree (Applied Arts of Law Enforcement) and I am looking to apply for some other departments. I want to apply for LAPD however I wanted to get an opinion from any officers out there on if I even stand a chance in regards to my prior work history? I'm worried that alot of the larger departments wouldn't even let me explain myself (i.e my experience with SDPD last year).
    Last edited by nsiops; 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM.

OK, first. When you approach this forum, you don't get to dictate the manner in which it replies to your posts. I'm referring to your stating you" don't want to get an opinion from any Officers out there on even if I stand a chance in regards to my prior work history". Did I misunderstand you? If so, I apologize, but that's how your post came across. The decision to apply to LAPD is yours to make, and yours alone. Needless to say, successful completion of any FTO Program is a condition of continued employment, and a failure to complete it is grounds for termination. I feel fairly confident that LAPD will afford you an opportunity to explain your failure to complete FTO. That said, please know that the LAPD process is highly structured, very impersonal, lengthy, and often frustrating. I'm going to suggest you join the following forum. www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned website, dedicated to assisting prospective LAPD applicants navigate the process. The forum is very informal, and I believe will assist you in deciding whether or not you want to pursue the LAPD option. Consider the very real and present fact that your failure to complete FTO will likely be a factor in an agencies decision to hire you. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Yep, go visit the website PhilipCal mentioned. It is THE place for all things LAPD.

I will say this, as a current LAPD officer and one who went through FTO not too long ago, it is not a joke. They take it very seriously and you will have some tough questions to answer regarding why you failed to make probation in your first department.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        OK, first. When you approach this forum, you don't get to dictate the manner in which it replies to your posts. I'm referring to your stating you" don't want to get an opinion from any Officers out there on even if I stand a chance in regards to my prior work history". Did I misunderstand you? If so, I apologize, but that's how your post came across. The decision to apply to LAPD is yours to make, and yours alone. Needless to say, successful completion of any FTO Program is a condition of continued employment, and a failure to complete it is grounds for termination. I feel fairly confident that LAPD will afford you an opportunity to explain your failure to complete FTO. That said, please know that the LAPD process is highly structured, very impersonal, lengthy, and often frustrating. I'm going to suggest you join the following forum. www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned website, dedicated to assisting prospective LAPD applicants navigate the process. The forum is very informal, and I believe will assist you in deciding whether or not you want to pursue the LAPD option. Consider the very real and present fact that your failure to complete FTO will likely be a factor in an agencies decision to hire you. Hope things work out for you.
        Thanks for the advice.Total misunderstanding with the typo. I DO want to get an opinion from officers!
        Last edited by nsiops; 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsiops View Post
          Thanks for the advice.Totaly misunderstanding with the typo. I DO want to get an opinion from officers!
          OK..understood. Try the website my collegue and I have recommended. You should find some valuable information there.

Comment

Truthfully, you will never know, until you apply and test. But since you asked...

I know a young man that was canned by a suburban L.A. agency with about a month, or two, before getting off of FTO. LAPD picked him up and he's doing great.

BUT his mom and dad were both LAPD. Even that won't ensure youor continued employment (most of the time) if you're a turd, however.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4945 users online. 295 members and 4650 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X