Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owning Firearms & having a ccw permit.. will it hurthelp my chances of getting on?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning Firearms & having a ccw permit.. will it hurthelp my chances of getting on?

First, thank you in advance to those who take the time to reply. It is greatly appreciated.

I am beginning the application process again with my county police dept. First time I failed the PT test, second time they ran out of money and didn't hire anyone due to hiring freeze. So, on to third time's a charm! Since I last applied I have obtained my concealed carry permit and have purchased a number of firearms (8 total -- 1 shot gun, 1 AR-15, and 6 hand guns 2 of which I have since sold).

I obtained my permit because I have rental properties which pay in cash and quite frankly, I don't feel comfortable carrying several thousand dollars in cash around on me without a firearm. I quickly found the enjoyment of going to the range to shoot and the mechanical operation of a gun intrigues me.

I would imagine it's a pretty regular thing for men who apply to have a few guns, etc. But, I'm a female. Does having a permit and being familiar with firearms help me or hurt me when applying?

Any feedback or things I might have to consider during the process or background would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be prepared.

Sincerely,

Moosie
    Moosie

New Castle County PD (Delaware) application process
    Written Test March 30, 2011 (passed)
    Physical Fitness Test May 14, 2011 (passed)
    Oral Board June 7, 2011 (passed)
    Polygraph July 25, 2011 (passed)

No, as long as you explain it like you just did as opposed to "cuz guns are cool and I totally want to shoot lots of peoples."
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
      No, as long as you explain it like you just did as opposed to "cuz guns are cool and I totally want to shoot lots of peoples."
      +1.

Really not an issue.

-V

Comment

Thank you!

Moosie
        Moosie

Comment

Wait, you own guns? Clearly you're some kind of raging sociopath who's a menace to society. Instead of getting hired as a cop they should lock you away in a mental institution.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
            Wait, you own guns? Clearly you're some kind of raging sociopath who's a menace to society. Instead of getting hired as a cop they should lock you away in a mental institution.
            i agree 100%
            it is What it is

Comment

Yeah, remember....guns KILL people!! How dare you!! Wait, I gotta go now....I have a few rifles that need cleaned, and there is a stack of bullets that need reloaded (they won't reload themselves, now will they??)
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Hillary Clinton, Dianne Feinstein, Eric Holder&Co, might see your firearms ownership as an issue, but I don't see a Department doing it. Know the law with respect to the use of firearms, and be proficient in their safe, effective use. Good luck in your applications.

Comment

For a certified police job it won't help or hurt you at all. Now on the other hand if you are trying to go the auxiliary/reserve route it would most likely benefit you. Depending on your state laws and the department, most are gonna require you to have your CCW as well as provide your own firearm.
                  "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                  -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

And don't arrive to your initial interview or any appointment carrying. A friend of mine had a much easier time getting hired as one of his competitors arrived and accidentally displayed his concealed weapon.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I would never carry to my interview! OMG, I just can't imagine doing that. But thank you for the info.

Moosie
                      Moosie

Comment

Won't make a difference in getting hired. However, on the range it will make a difference. They will have to spend extra time trying to correct your bad habits and mistaken knowledge so that they can un-train you first. Then you will be equal and ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                          Quite the opposite. Once the PD sees that you have a CCW and are one of them, they will instantly hire you. Having a CCW and knowing a lot about guns is 99% of the job after all. Even better if you were a master at Tae Kwon Do, or jujitsu. They wouldn't even have to train you, you could go straight to the streets
                          What is Perseverance?
                          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5627 users online. 358 members and 5269 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X