Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to stand out in the hiring phase?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do to stand out in the hiring phase?

A little background, I have a bachelor's from a 4 year well known local brick and mortar college, assisted a local police department's traffic division for 1.5 years voluntarily, and currently have around a year experience as a detention officer for a local sheriff's office. My only downfall is that I am 22, and usually get looked over for any LE jobs I apply for. I have put in roughly 20~ applications to many departments over the past year and it seems as if the biggest stumbling block in getting hired is the initial minimum qualifications. 75% of the applications I send in tend to be dead ends even before I get to the very first phase in hiring. I am wondering what else I need to do besides put in for all the training I can with my current job.

Thanks!

Work hard at being the best detention officer you can be, keep applying, maybe continue your education if you have the time (and money), and be patient....your time will come. BTW, I got hired at age 22, then again the economy was better then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickrt10 View Post
      A little background, I have a bachelor's from a 4 year well known local brick and mortar college, assisted a local police department's traffic division for 1.5 years voluntarily, and currently have around a year experience as a detention officer for a local sheriff's office. My only downfall is that I am 22, and usually get looked over for any LE jobs I apply for. I have put in roughly 20~ applications to many departments over the past year and it seems as if the biggest stumbling block in getting hired is the initial minimum qualifications. 75% of the applications I send in tend to be dead ends even before I get to the very first phase in hiring. I am wondering what else I need to do besides put in for all the training I can with my current job.

Thanks!
      I am going to take your situation out of the order in which you gave them to us.

I have put in roughly 20~ applications to many departments over the past year and it seems as if the biggest stumbling block in getting hired is the initial minimum qualifications.
      If you don’t meet the minimum qualifications for the job you will NEVER get any farther than that. That is why they are called MINIMUM qualifications

75% of the applications I send in tend to be dead ends even before I get to the very first phase in hiring.
      This and the above section need to be addressed if you are ever going to get hired.
      What part of the minimum qualifications don’t you meet & why can’t you get past the first phase. If it is because you are not old enough to be hired as a police officer in your state or city-----------well you have to age a bit. If it is something else that you don’t meet---------------do what you have to in order to meet those qualifications if you can. If it is something you can’t change-----------you might have to change career paths.

My only downfall is that I am 22, and usually get looked over for any LE jobs I apply for.
      If that is the ONLY problem----------------you are going to have to age a bit.

Make sure that is the only reason.

A little background, I have a bachelor's from a 4 year well known local brick and mortar college, assisted a local police department's traffic division for 1.5 years voluntarily, and currently have around a year experience as a detention officer for a local sheriff's office
      I don’t know what “assisted the traffic division voluntarily” means……………..

But a 4 yr degree and a yr and a half as a DO should get you noticed if there isn’t anything else wrong with your background.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I was 25 and three years out of college before I got my first Cop job. It can take awhile, but it will come. You will limit your options, obviously, if you are intent on only working for one department.

Comment

Find out demographically, your intended hiring area needs in regards to serving/dealing with foreign language speakers. Get started learning to speak, read, & write that second language.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

bill-
            I know but its hard for me haha, I'm rather impatient, but I know that all good jobs come to those who wait

iowa-
            My background is fine, I have no marks to be honest, I was required to do a polygraph, psych test, nelson-denny, interview, and all the same steps deputies are required to do. WHen I mean assisted, we have a community service officer position that worked with the traffic division setting up safety checkpoints, doing DUI reports/processing, writing tickets, and basic tow sheets etc.

keith-
            Thankfully our detention center is one of the main ICE holding facilities in our area so I am in constant contact with spanish speaking individuals, which helps build off of my 4-5 years of spanish schooling.

Comment

Much will also depend on the type hiring process you enter. Should you enter a Civil Service process, the first important hurdle you'll encounter is the written exam. While most written exams aren't especially difficult, a high score is a critical "must". Seventy percent is the passing grade for most Civil Service written exams, but to be competitive, you'll need to score in the mid to high nineties. Civil Service processes are very impersonal, often quite lengthy, and can be very frustrating. In addition to the written exam, you'll undergo a physical exam, PAT, psych exam, a thorough and comprehensive Background investigation, and usually a Polygraph. All of this to establish an Eligibility Register. Let's suppose your final weighted score is 85%. The agency will hire fifty applicants, and they all have test scores in the mid to high nineties. Applying the "Rule of three" which typifies most Civil Service processes, the agency head will draw from the three highest applicants until his hiring needs are met. In this particular exam, and due to a passing but not competitive score, you'll not be reachable in this hiring cycle. At the expiration of the Eligibility List which you're on, you'll be required to re-test in order to be placed on the new Eligibility Register. Notice that none of the pluses you've attained have weighed in your favor. They won't until late in a Civil Service process, provided you've made the various cuts, and are still being considered. Should you give up on your efforts at making yourself more viable as a candidate? Absolutely not, especially if the hiring process you enter is non- Civil Service, and your efforts can come into play more quickly. Continue to practice your Spanish, as this is becoming more and more an almost required skill for Officers. Don't limit your applications to only one agency. Do some research and insure that you meet the minimum hiring standards for any agency you apply to. Be willing to go to where the jobs are if at all possible. Good luck.

Comment

bill-
                I know but its hard for me haha, I'm rather impatient,t
                Then you are in the wrong profession

iowa-
                My background is fine, I have no marks to be honest, I was required to do a polygraph, psych test, nelson-denny, interview, and all the same steps deputies are required to do. WHen I mean assisted, we have a community service officer position that worked with the traffic division setting up safety checkpoints, doing DUI reports/processing, writing tickets, and basic tow sheets etc.
                YOU are the one that said you are having problems with the initial minimum requrements.

I understand the CSO position-----------it make sense now

keith-
                Thankfully our detention center is one of the main ICE holding facilities in our area so I am in constant contact with spanish speaking individuals, which helps build off of my 4-5 years of spanish schooling.
                That is good
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I'm with Iowa (that seems to happen a lot). You said your stumbling block is the minimum requirements, yet you haven't told us how you don't meet them, as Iowa asked. Or, did you mean to say that you can't seem to get past the first step of the hiring process?

Keep volunteering with the police department. That keeps you in contact with the brass.

As has been stated on prior threads regarding getting hired, try and meet with someone that was involved in the hiring process and see where you are falling short and then start taking care of it.

If you are not the patient type or the persistent type, then Iowa is right....this job isn't for you. There is a reason it is hard to get in.
                  Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog4907 View Post
                    I'm with Iowa (that seems to happen a lot).
                    You can do that---------I don't mind

As long as you stay on your meds

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3976 users online. 251 members and 3725 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X