300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop out of college > Find a LEO job

"End of the rope" sort of thing, could use some input from you guys.

-Graduated the Police Academy in June.
    -Currently in my Senior year of my Bach. C.J. Degree.
    -Been unemployed since June. Resorting to odd jobs(drywall, security, roofing, lawn care, etc. to make ends meet.) I've applied to 7 Departments. Each time, either a double dipper, or a 20 year veteran comes along and takes the position.
    -Sold most of my assets to pay bills. Gun collection, TV, and now down to selling my car.
    -Borrowed money from some family members, which makes me feel like a huge bum and P.O.S
    -Been doing the Sheriff's Reserves, in hope that it will give me a better chance at getting hired somewhere.

There's a "possible" Campus Police job coming up....but I found out today it's not until December, and it's only a "possibility", someone with 20 years of experience could come along and kill my chances there.

So I'm down to two options if I don't get the Campus Police job.

-Stay here, stay in college, get student loans and unemployment.
    -Move, drop college, and find a agency(possibly out of state) that's hiring.

Any advice?

Originally posted by irish21 View Post
    "End of the rope" sort of thing, could use some input from you guys.

-Graduated the Police Academy in June.
    -Currently in my Senior year of my Bach. C.J. Degree.
    -Been unemployed since June. Resorting to odd jobs(drywall, security, roofing, lawn care, etc. to make ends meet.) I've applied to 7 Departments. Each time, either a double dipper, or a 20 year veteran comes along and takes the position.
    -Sold most of my assets to pay bills. Gun collection, TV, and now down to selling my car.
    -Borrowed money from some family members, which makes me feel like a huge bum and P.O.S
    -Been doing the Sheriff's Reserves, in hope that it will give me a better chance at getting hired somewhere.

There's a "possible" Campus Police job coming up....but I found out today it's not until December, and it's only a "possibility", someone with 20 years of experience could come along and kill my chances there.

-Move, drop college, and find a agency(possibly out of state) that's hiring.

Any advice?
    finish college!!!

Comment

Your senior year? Stay and complete your degree, then do option 2.

Comment

BINGO
        Move, drop college, and find a agency(possibly out of state) that's hiring.
        Think this one through carefully.

Move?---------Where?...................Why?
        You will still be broke, out of a full time job and a college drop-out.

Drop College?...........
        Why?...........You are taking away a marketable skill that you can use later on in life to better yourself.

Find a agency (possibly out of state) that's hiring?....................
        NO state that I know of will take your “self sponsored academy” certificate and transfer it. Almost every state that I am aware of will only let you use an out of state police certification if you also have at least a year as a sworn officer to back up that book learning.

What makes you think another state will be better. I know you have been on this forum for a while. You have read how it often take 10-20 attempts at applying to departments and for many applicants 3-5 yrs to get hired as an officer. That trend is nationwide and quite frankly getting worse.

Unfortunately you have fallen into the deep hole of schools that state they will train you to be a cop (for a considerable fee), get you a certification that can be used to further your marketable skills when competing for LEO jobs, and then drop you like a hot potato after taking your money. They might send you lists of departments that are hiring, but other than that you are on your own.

Stay in school.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Stay in school and drop the attitude towards experience LEO's getting jobs that you are trying to get.

You are not at the end of your rope yet. It may take you 5 years to get hired or looking out of state. Finish college and venture out of state. The economy for LE is still not that great. Take a job, either in corrections or with your CJ degree, doing Loss prevention, etc until you get a LE job.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Drop out as a senior? No way. You're second option shouldn't even be on the list of options. Go to your student employment office. The colleges I graduated from had tons of student jobs with flex hours. That's one way to bring in some extra cash.

Comment

uncle sugar wants you..
              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Finish the degree. At the very least, your bachelor's degree will open up some more jobs to you. Lots of Fed positions require a degree.

Avoid selling your car, if at all possible. (Especially if you aren't making payments). Borrow more from family, loans, etc. to cover your other expenses. You will need that car to get to interviews, and once you get hired, jobs.

You need to keep your options open, look out of state, make trips, etc. Be willing to move for a LE job, once you have an offer, but don't move somewhere hoping you'll find a job once you get there. I know people who have done that. It usually does not end well.

You've got a place to live now, right? You've got a support structure, family, friends, where you are now? Think of it like a military operation -- you've got a base to operate out of now, logistics support, etc. You're going to be much more effective at whatever you're doing with that in place. Don't underestimate the value of being in a city you're familiar with, among friends and family. Trust me on this. Even if you're unemployed and starving, at least you won't be unemployed and starving in a strange city with no friends.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4680 users online. 217 members and 4463 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X