300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Towns.

I have been lurking around here for awhile and would love to thank you all for your advice and input you give to us 'LEO Hopefuls'. Over the past year and half I have been applying and testing all over the country but to no avail I always seem to end up in the pile of young, college grad (4 year), with no real LE experience. One thing I have noticed is that small towns that are at far end of driving distances for me like to make real hard for outsiders to apply. Why not just say you have to live "xx" so miles from here rather than the BS of 'must pick up the application in person' or 'turn them in on Wednesday at 2:12 pm'? This really does not make sense when these jobs are being posted on national recruitment websites.

Sorry if this came off as a rant, but I dont see the advantages of protecting locals at the expense of a larger more quilifed pool.

It's part of the weeding out process.

If you want the job, you will take the extra effort to drive to the location if you are required to pick up the packet in person------------those not willing to drive there, are weeded out

They are not protecting locals----they are merely setting standards for residency. It is pretty obvious that if the "small town" is advertising on a national recruitment website that they are looking at a larger pool of applicants rather than keeping it in house.

Many times the weeding out process starts at the very beginning.....................by having the packets picked up in person, a member of management can "screen" each and everyone who picks up an application.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not only what Iowa said, but many times people will take a job at a small agency a long way from home only to move closer to home as soon as a job opens up. If there aren't many agencies in the area of the small one then a person being hired is more likely to stay a lot longer, if they are from that area.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

I totally disagree; by saying that you have to pick up and drop off an application during normal weekday business ours you area catering to locals in say a 2 hour driving distance. I can understand the weeding out statement to a degree, but asking people on a national posting to come out and fill out an application and then come back a few day or weeks later to take a test is just another way for saying 'thanks, but no thanks'.

The more I think about this, the more I think it’s a city HR issue of not being able to process everyone's information as it comes in via the mail, fax, or email.

Comment

Originally posted by sandbox View Post
          I totally disagree; by saying that you have to pick up and drop off an application during normal weekday business ours you area catering to locals in say a 2 hour driving distance. I can understand the weeding out statement to a degree, but asking people on a national posting to come out and fill out an application and then come back a few day or weeks later to take a test is just another way for saying 'thanks, but no thanks'.

The more I think about this, the more I think it’s a city HR issue of not being able to process everyone's information as it comes in via the mail, fax, or email.
          ergo ----part of the weeding out process.

As far as you disagreeing with the process-----------oh well. The city states the rules in their posting. If you are not willing to meet their requirements, they could really care less about you not applying with their organization.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Did you try calling and asking them to mail you an application?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              Did you try calling and asking them to mail you an application?
              +1

Comment

Well, it's pretty simple. Some people want to move to specific metro area and are willing to come and pick up 3 or 4 applications at local agencies and return later to turn them in.

Comment

When an agency requires you to pick up the package in person, or apply in person, or do so during very restricted hours, this often signifies that they have already decided who they are going to hire.

Here's how it worked in the last two agencies I was with.

If the Department head really wants to hire a specific individual, the exam announcement will be posted on the bulletin board in the lunch room or the clerical office. Few people will see it, limiting the number of people who will apply. giving the "In Guy" a better chance.. Believe it or not, this complies with legal requirement that the job be "publicly advertised." If word of the test spread outside the office, it was because some employee sent the exam announcement out on their own or by mistake..

The announcement might say that applicants must file in person between 8 AM and 11 AM on a single date only, making it hard for anyone to take time off from work to do so. This further limits the number of applicants, ensuring the "In Guy" has an even better chance. The test will then be structured so that everyone who passes will be grouped in either ranks 1, 2 or 3. This will allow the appointing authority to hire anyone who passes (i.e. the guy they want) using the Rule of Three. Once he is hired, the list is discarded and a new test is held for future vacancies. All of the rest who took the test will have jumped through the hoops for nothing.

In short, the game is often rigged.

Now, I can't explain how the listing made it to a national website. I believe a lot of them scour local online classifieds and add listings to their site, just to look good. But I can't picture a "must pick up in person" agency deliberatly paying to advertise nationally.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Here's another consideration which may or may not apply. This does not pertain to all small towns/cities, but definitely to some. While many of these agencies make application difficult for entry level candidates, they are often equally inhospitable to experienced applicants. The reason here is often fear that the applicant is more qualified than the Chief or hiring executive. This is true in some cases, and in these cases, the applicant is viewed as a potential threat. The Chief or other official will never, ever, acknowledge the truth of this statement, but the applicant will equally stand little if any chance of being hired. At the end of the day, and for whatever reason, the agency can and will set it's own rules. The choice is left to the applicant as to whether or not he/she wishes to play the game.

Comment

I too was the college grad with no law enforcement experience. I gave up looking for police jobs and hopped into corrections.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8004 users online. 423 members and 7581 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X