300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Acuity Question

Ok so I got a hearing test from the Doc and my results were all normal hearing ranges except for 6,000hz. My left ear was at 45db and my right ear was at 40db at 6000hz only.

If there's any BIs here that can tell me if it would be a waste of time to put myself through the entire academy or not. I just don't want to go through the whole thing and be DQ'd on the account of bad hearing.

I know most police depts. don't even do the tone test and they just do the word recog. test. I tested 100% on the word recog. test but I'm just concerned with the resulting hearing loss.

BTW the doc said I could have fluid in my ear or there could be leftover scar tissue from my operations on my ears. Not sure if that matters but yeah.

So my question is: would this be a DQing factor or would there be a little leniency with it because of the higher frequency?

Any help on this would immensely appreciated because I really don't want to waste anyone's time trying to become a cop when I would just get DQ'd due to my hearing.

Please someone give me something.

There has to be a BI or a recently hired cop that can answer this question.

Comment

I'd really like to get this figured out so if anyone has any information on this it would help a lot. I really don't want to waste anyone's time if I'm just going to get dq'd

Comment

Apexer,

Have a little patience. Not everyone sits here waiting for new threads to answer. Someone will handle your question shortly. Should you continue to keep bumping your thread, more than likely no one will respond.

Additionally you might want to provide a little more detail about where you're applying as standards across states may vary. Did you look for state standards for your state online?
        Brad

Comment

Yes I did and the standards were, well, a bit vague. The standards that my state follows are in place by P.O.S.T. and basically all it says is the requirements for the HINT test. Which is the Hearing In Noise Test. Those requirements stated the at 6000hz the hearing should be no worse than 30db. Meaning if it was more than 30db that P.O.S.T. suggests that the applicant shouldn't do the duties of a police officer.

My results are from a tone test which is much different than the HINT test. I'm not sure what my results would be from a HINT test.

Sorry for bumping the thread but I just can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone (even cops here in CA) about this issue. You'd think they would make the hearing requirement clear so they didn't waste their money and time performing all the background checks and investigations prior to administering the medical eval.

Comment

To the OP. Your question is one a Background Investigator is not qualified to answer. It is a medical question and not a Background question. Any LE agency in California will be governed by the "minimum" standards established by CALPOST. In other words, they cannot waive a minimum standard. What you might wish to do is have your hearing checked by an Audiologist against the standard established by CALPOST. That would seem do-able, at least from my perspective, and could possibly answer your question. With respect to a Self-Sponsor Academy, while I'm not opposed to them, you have to realize they are often a "crap shoot". You'll spend a considerable amount of time and money, with no guarantee of employment at the end of the effort. My feeling is though, that your immediate concern is to determine whether or not your hearing is within POST standards. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Apexer View Post
              Yes I did and the standards were, well, a bit vague. The standards that my state follows are in place by P.O.S.T. and basically all it says is the requirements for the HINT test. Which is the Hearing In Noise Test. Those requirements stated the at 6000hz the hearing should be no worse than 30db. Meaning if it was more than 30db that P.O.S.T. suggests that the applicant shouldn't do the duties of a police officer.

My results are from a tone test which is much different than the HINT test. I'm not sure what my results would be from a HINT test.

Sorry for bumping the thread but I just can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone (even cops here in CA) about this issue. You'd think they would make the hearing requirement clear so they didn't waste their money and time performing all the background checks and investigations prior to administering the medical eval.
              The standards you quoted above are anything but vague. The standards noted a standardized test method and then gave a minimum "passing" reading. That is the straight answer.

The California P.O.S.T. standards are probably the most detailed of the 50 states as well as some of the hardest to meet.

A states POST minimum standards are rarely waived for any reason.................thus the terminology MINIMUM STANDARDS. Many departments have standards that are more stringent than the minimums required by the state licensing board.

I would suggest as did PhilipCal that you obtain a HINT test from a licensed Audiologist to establish your level and see if you meet the standard.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Apexer View Post

As PhilipCal said, this is a medical issue and not one pertaining to background. BIs lack the expertise and training necessary to pass judgment over an applicant's medical fitness. Doing so puts them at risk of EEO and ADA violations, so most of them will not give you the time of day on this issue.

However, you may wish to take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Hearing.pdf It will give you an idea as to the hearing standards California POST recommends for most agencies. It is 17 pages long , so I don't know how much more specific you need it to be. Take it to your doctor and ask him if you meet the passing criteria. That should point you in the right direction.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6899 users online. 365 members and 6534 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X