Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about previous Absinthe consumption

Hello there!

My name is Brandon, and I am currently applying for the Colorado State Patrol, and had a quick question regarding a potentially negative situation.

In the not too distant past I was celebrating a friend's 30th birthday, and while at this celebration was asked by said friend to have a shot with him. I thought nothing of it, and ended up taking a shot with him. As it turns out, it was a shot of Absinthe. I didn't realize it's potentially negative implications at the time as I didn't consider it to be anything other than an alcoholic substance like any other.

Afterward I found out from said friend that he had it imported years ago, and when I asked if there was any special reason he imported it, I was told it was because of it's formerly illegal nature. I have since been trying to figure out if something like this could possibly disqualify me from becoming a civil servant.

From what I now understand, Absinthe contains a small amount of a substance known as thujone (wormwood), which as I understand it is not legal for consumption in the United States, or at least not when mixed with alcohol. However I found that the FDA apparently lifted a ban on Absinthe in 2007, making it legal to consume Absinthe as long as it is thujone free, which is classified as being less than 10ppm, which apparently made many brands of Absinthe legal to purchase in the U.S. Although, I am under the impression the alcoholic beverage I consumed was imported/not purchased in the U.S. From my understanding, the regulation is set forth by the FDA, not the DEA, and was classified as an illegal food substance, not a drug, but again, that is only my brief understanding based on the searching I have performed since learning of it's possible illegal nature.

I've contacted a local recruiter in an attempt to give 100% full disclosure, but am still awaiting some clarification. So, in the experience of members on this forum, does anyone know if this could be a possible disqualifying situation?

Other than that I have no recent drug use that would disqualify me, no criminal record, clean driving record, am an honorably discharged Army veteran who served two years in Iraq, have a solid employment history record, am in good physical shape and am a responsible husband and father to my son. This is the only potentially disqualifying instance that I can fathom (aside from failing a test of course).

Am I just being overly paranoid on this one, or is this something that truly could stop me from becoming an officer?

Thank you in advance!

-Brandon

Originally posted by roninsoldier83 View Post
    Hello there!

My name is Brandon, and I am currently applying for the Colorado State Patrol, and had a quick question regarding a potentially negative situation.

In the not too distant past I was celebrating a friend's 30th birthday, and while at this celebration was asked by said friend to have a shot with him. I thought nothing of it, and ended up taking a shot with him. As it turns out, it was a shot of Absinthe. I didn't realize it's potentially negative implications at the time as I didn't consider it to be anything other than an alcoholic substance like any other.

Afterward I found out from said friend that he had it imported years ago, and when I asked if there was any special reason he imported it, I was told it was because of it's formerly illegal nature. I have since been trying to figure out if something like this could possibly disqualify me from becoming a civil servant.

From what I now understand, Absinthe contains a small amount of a substance known as thujone (wormwood), which as I understand it is not legal for consumption in the United States, or at least not when mixed with alcohol. However I found that the FDA apparently lifted a ban on Absinthe in 2007, making it legal to consume Absinthe as long as it is thujone free, which is classified as being less than 10ppm, which apparently made many brands of Absinthe legal to purchase in the U.S. Although, I am under the impression the alcoholic beverage I consumed was imported/not purchased in the U.S. From my understanding, the regulation is set forth by the FDA, not the DEA, and was classified as an illegal food substance, not a drug, but again, that is only my brief understanding based on the searching I have performed since learning of it's possible illegal nature.

I've contacted a local recruiter in an attempt to give 100% full disclosure, but am still awaiting some clarification. So, in the experience of members on this forum, does anyone know if this could be a possible disqualifying situation?

Other than that I have no recent drug use that would disqualify me, no criminal record, clean driving record, am an honorably discharged Army veteran who served two years in Iraq, have a solid employment history record, am in good physical shape and am a responsible husband and father to my son. This is the only potentially disqualifying instance that I can fathom (aside from failing a test of course).

Am I just being overly paranoid on this one, or is this something that truly could stop me from becoming an officer?

Thank you in advance!

-Brandon
    You'll be fine. You didn't know there was something illegal in it. Just continue to be honest. But if you didn't intentionally consume something illegal...then it shouldn't be a problem.

Next time ask your "friends" what's in the glass before you drink it or what's in the pipe before you smoke it : )

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
      You'll be fine. You didn't know there was something illegal in it. Just continue to be honest. But if you didn't intentionally consume something illegal...then it shouldn't be a problem.

Next time ask your "friends" what's in the glass before you drink it or what's in the pipe before you smoke it : )
      Thanks for the reassurance! Good advice haha, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I don't smoke, and rarely drink, I honestly just didn't consider it, as the friend I was celebrating with is a pretty stand-up guy that doesn't use drugs, law-abiding ect., didn't really consider it could be illegal... lesson learned right?

Comment

While I don't see a problem based on your post, your decision to consult the Recruiter was correct. We can speculate as to your options/chances all day, but the definitive answer will have to come from the Agency you applied to. My "sense" is, you'll be OK. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Most applications will ask what drugs you have "knowingly" taken.

Comment

You may have been drinking more of a myth than something nefarious. Absinthe has been legal in the US since 2007.

http://www.ttb.gov/industry_circular...007/07-05.html

Strangely, if you read the bulletin it appears the original prohibition may never have been against the drink itself, but merely against labels containing the word Absinthe.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you all very much for the replies!

L-1, I pretty much found the same thing, that is has been legal since 2007 as long as it is considered "thujone free", which translates to containing less than 10ppm thujone content.

I actually did a little bit more research on it, and it turns out that Absinthe containing over 10ppm (which would have to be imported) is only prohibited from sale in the U.S. by the FDA (not DEA), and as such is not considered a "controlled substance". I verified with the DEA that thujone/wormwood or Absinthe are not considered controlled substances, and actually found a list of controlled substances within the U.S.:
              http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/sc...c_cs_alpha.pdf

The official wording on the disqualification for drug use is use of "illegal controlled substances", and since Absinthe (even imported with over 10ppm thujone content) is not considered a controlled substance, I appears I am ok. I discussed it with my recruiter and she seems to be ok with it, so it looks like I'm good to go.

It appears as though it is similar to laws concerning Cuban cigars, they're illegal to purchase, but not a controlled substance or arrestable offense, they can be confiscated by customs though. Odd laws.

Thanks again for all the replies!
              Last edited by roninsoldier83; 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Don't worry about. You don't even know what you actually consumed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3052 users online. 217 members and 2835 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X